Greatest Mini Games in Games

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Xenogears - Cool robot fighting game.

Xenosaga Episode I - Virtual On Lite. Honestly it seemed really cool at the time but watching the video now, it looks like turbo jank.

And of course the Yakuza games give you full on arcade games inside their arcade centers which is nice. Still waiting for Virtual On Oratorio Tangram to show up in one of them, but for now I will have to settle with Operation Moongate in Kiwami 2.... though setting aside the arcades they also have other amusing minigames like Dragon Kart, Pocket Circuit, weird phone dating nonsense, staying awake in a cinema, disco, karaoke, carbaret club management etc etc.

I am for some reason allergic to the various card games out there. While I do enjoy MTG myself so it's not like I hate card games per say, I really don't want to go out of my way to learn a fairly complex.... minigame within a game. I think I feel the same way about any sports minigame, by god I hated Blitzball in FFX.... had a friend who loved it though.

I wonder how these fairly high effort minigames even come about. Is it like the development team gets bored of the main project and this allows them to have a change of pace?

Reactions: Worgen and BrawlMan

mirbrownbread

Elite Member
Nov 16, 2022
Belgium
Country
Belgium
But for some reason, I get mad into Gwent. It started with just wanting to complete all the quests and getting all the trophies, which requires Gwent mastery. I think for me it helps that it's just so easy. Once you get in the habit of the basic strategy of winning one round, allowing yourself to lose the second and going into the 3rd round with more cards, it's all about just going around kicking everyone's butt and taking their cards.
I totally relate, Gwent had no rights to be that good haha
Honestly, I can't stand any other card game, IRL or otherwise. Gwent is just soo fun and fits into Geralt's world so damn well that without it, TW3 looses a chunk of its charm IMO.

Also, Nilfgaard FTW!

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Both red dead redemption games have amazing poker, but i swear they are rigged.
For RDR2 I got the poker challenges done rather quickly, but the final dominos and blackjack each took hours. I literally started dozing off on the latter where you have to hit like 5 times and get a blackjack. Someone yelled in the game and I was like, “Wha?” and ended up finally getting it.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I totally relate, Gwent had no rights to be that good haha
Honestly, I can't stand any other card game, IRL or otherwise. Gwent is just soo fun and fits into Geralt's world so damn well that without it, TW3 looses a chunk of its charm IMO.

Also, Nilfgaard FTW!
Nilfgaard is the strongest faction, for sure.
But I'll tell you a real baller movie is to complete the High Stakes Gwent quest tournament using each of the players' factions. So that's Northern Realms for the halfling, Nilfgaard for Sasha (requires patience for just swapping spies for a while), Scoi'a'tel for the half-elf, and monsters for the last guy.
Scoi'a'tel is the worst deck so if you can win with that won, you are a real pro. It is also good training for the Skellige deck in Blood & Wine. That deck is really tricky and the tournament in that DLC is brutal. Both Scoi'a'tel and Skellige have summons cards, which require careful deck building management- like you should only have one or two complete sets of summon card types. And don't bother with the mushroom transformation cards in Skellige deck- a cool idea, way too high risk low reward.

Honestly I just like that I know so much about a popular complicated game, as I don't have patience or intelligence to be masterful about other games like that.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Surprised no one has said Mercenaries mode in Resident Evil.

I guess also Zombies in Call of Duty, even though I don't like it.
Zombies in CoD is actually a good pick. It's a bit played out now, but early Zombie's was a really fresh mode that was a lot of fun.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Zombies in CoD is actually a good pick. It's a bit played out now, but early Zombie's was a really fresh mode that was a lot of fun.
I know a lot of people like the zombies mode, but I never liked how spongy the enemies get after a few rounds.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I know a lot of people like the zombies mode, but I never liked how spongy the enemies get after a few rounds.
I haven't played since like the 2nd or 3rd version of zombies, so i dunno how it got later. i just know they were fun for a while.

I wanna bring up Rage again, because it had a full version of Wolfenstein 3D in it and like it's not technically a mini game but it's a mini game in Rage so I wanna count it.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I haven't played since like the 2nd or 3rd version of zombies, so i dunno how it got later. i just know they were fun for a while.

I wanna bring up Rage again, because it had a full version of Wolfenstein 3D in it and like it's not technically a mini game but it's a mini game in Rage so I wanna count it.
I don't know about the later ones, I played a bit of the original also and enemies get super spongy after a few rounds.

I'm not sure if Rage did, but Wolfenstein New Order and Colossus had the original wolf 3d, I think new order just had a couple levels but Colossus had the full game with redone sprits so you were playing a german vs allies.

If we are including things like that then you gotta add Doom eternal for having both Doom and Doom 2 in it.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
If we are including things like that then you gotta add Doom eternal for having both Doom and Doom 2 in it.
Yeah why not? Just like the Yakuza games have full versions of old Sega games in them like Virtual Fighter.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Xenogears - Cool robot fighting game.

Xenosaga Episode I - Virtual On Lite. Honestly it seemed really cool at the time but watching the video now, it looks like turbo jank.
I see this shit and I badly want a way to play Xenogears and Xenosaga on modern consoles. I don't even need remasters or nothing just put them shits on PSN or something. I NEEEEEEEED it.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I see this shit and I badly want a way to play Xenogears and Xenosaga on modern consoles. I don't even need remasters or nothing just put them shits on PSN or something. I NEEEEEEEED it.
I personally emulated Xenogears way back, though I did have a PS2 to play the Xenosaga trilogy on. Heck, I think it might actually still work(it did the last time I played it), but I don't think I have an archaic enough display, or the required adapters to play it.

If Square Enix still owns Xenogears, I think we can expect any remaster to be severely overpriced and have silly things like ugly sprite filters....

It'd be nice to see Bamco do something about Xenosaga, considering they were shoving Kos-Mos into stuff like Endless Frontier and Project X Zone for a good time after Xenosaga stopped being relevant. And well, she also did show up in Xenoblade 2 but I'm not sure how that works exactly.

Reactions: Dalisclock

mirbrownbread

Elite Member
Nov 16, 2022
Belgium
Country
Belgium
But I'll tell you a real baller movie is to complete the High Stakes Gwent quest tournament using each of the players' factions. So that's Northern Realms for the halfling, Nilfgaard for Sasha (requires patience for just swapping spies for a while), Scoi'a'tel for the half-elf, and monsters for the last guy.
Scoi'a'tel is the worst deck so if you can win with that won, you are a real pro.
I don't have that kind of luck with Gwent haha, I'll end up smashing the controller when they pull up a card they had no reason to save till their last play and completely turn the match around on a whim... It does feel like cheating, doesn't it? :)

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I don't know if they ever fixed it in the stand alone release, but Gwent has two strategies that are so incredibly broken they pretty much guarantee you'll win everytime you use them and I randomly discovered one early game so I pretty much won literally every game without ever breaking a sweat and so I found it pretty bad. Not FF9 card mini game bad, but close.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I don't know if they ever fixed it in the stand alone release, but Gwent has two strategies that are so incredibly broken they pretty much guarantee you'll win everytime you use them and I randomly discovered one early game so I pretty much won literally every game without ever breaking a sweat and so I found it pretty bad. Not FF9 card mini game bad, but close.
Gwent in TW3 was basically use all the cards named after main characters and win :)

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Gwent in TW3 was basically use all the cards named after main characters and win :)
I'll remember that when I play TW3 and actually play more then 1 game of Gwent. I'm sure it's really fun, I just found the actual Witcher stuff and world far more interesting then card games within the game. So when someone offered me a GWENT card or something I'd only take it if there was no other reward and didn't go chasing the cards down.

Yeah, I was that guy, I plated the sole game I was required to play and literally never touched it again. To be fair, I did the same thing in FF9. I played the required Card games to advance the plot/get something very important, and then never touched it again.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Tekken Ball (Volleyball) and Tekken Bowl (Bowling) were nice wind down games after all the blood and testosterone of the PvP fighting. And Tekken Ball had a very decent level of skill to it, timing was everything.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I think I spent more time playing poker in Red Dead Redemption 2 than doing anything else. It would be a case of doing a mission or just having a wonder about and then heading back to town to play more poker.

I could just download a poker game and play that. But I did that, there is a free poker game available on the PS store. but it was so bland I quickly deleted it about an hour later.

Beyond Good and Evil had a pretty fun air hockey game in it. The point of which was to get all 5 of your disks onto your opponents side of the table. It was pretty easy to win but it was quite good fun.