Greatest Voicework in a Game, EVER!

TheFriskySpatula

Aug 14, 2011
Whew, lets see, other than the already mentioned Wheatly.....

Troy Baker and Courtnee Draper in Bioshock Infinite, the sheer amount of emotion conveyed through their voices is stunning. Then, Dameon Clarke as Handsome Jack in Borderlands 2. I don't know how he did it, but his voice just drips with smug douche.

Lastly... SPACE CORE

Vale

May 1, 2013
... really now?
Just.
Come on.
I shouldn't have to remind everybody.
Fine.

Okay.
So for something a bit more serious:
Heavy.
Every single line the Heavy has ever uttered or screamed at the top of his lungs has become a meme unto itself.
Gary Schwartz is a god dam legend.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Homeworld: cataclisim or just homeworld games in general
starting at 6:55 to the end still gives me chills

exxxed

Mar 30, 2013
RT said:
exxxed said:
Anthony Corrigan said:
exxxed said:
I have to agree with Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, the voice work is a jewel, this game needs more recognition to be honest, and if anyone is in any doubt just search for Mercurio or Smiling Jack on youtube and be amazed.

I'd also like to add Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords, if there's one thing this game did right at launch it was the story, right after the fantastic voice work.

Cheers for the thread!
umm KOTOR 2 was criticized for the way the story was butched, there are huge projects by fans of the games to put back in what was slashed out. KOTOR 1 had a great story, 2 had great game play and the POTENTIAL for an awesome story which had been hacked down worse than Ultima 9
Well, you got it wrong, what was butchered was the game itself (quests, story, acting etc.), what the fans did was that they implemented the completable versions of the ''butchered'' side quests, I agree the story was butchered in the end, at the end, but that's such a small part of it.
Climax and resolution of the story is also the most important part.
Can't argue with that, but it's still a very small part of the otherwise fantastic ''Obsidianesque'' story line, and an otherwise flawless ''voicewerk''.

Cheers!

kannibus

Sep 21, 2009
Alfador_VII said:
BiscuitTrouser said:
Duncan Belfast said:
ctrl+f
"Bastion"
0 of 0

I am so very disappointed in you, Escapist.
Someone got there first. I also did this and facepalmed.

This is the best voicework forever of all time. Always. Any other answer is objectively wrong. So the gods have declared.

Its goddam awesome.
Yes, this voice is the best ever, why can't he narrate my life?
Indeed, this voice is shockingly awesome. This dude should be the next Garrett...

Ikasury

May 15, 2013
The Madman said:
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines still has the best overall voice work and script I've ever encountered in a game, with only a few exceptions every voice actor nails their part and the dialogue is fantastically well done. Haven't seen better yet and that games not far from being ten years old, how depressing is that?
Deb... oh Deb, i love you so~ :D

the Radio sequences are great examples of Voice Acting, just because they get about everyone in them... and the Tshimizhe talking to Deb is just a great sequence XD

otherwise i'd say, for the sake of fangirling, Kate Mulgrew as Flemeth and Simon Templeman as Loghain... okay him actually as Kain from Legacy of Kain series more, but for the sake of fangirling, i just like that those two are in the same game, and like to think of it as Captain Janeway and Kain bitching back and forth behind the scenes XD

Ikasury

May 15, 2013
Glongpre said:
Nightvalien said:
Legacy of kain, all of them /thread. TONY JAY IS YOUR GOD, FEAR HIM MORTALS.
I concur. The voices are amazing.
Kain is awesome.
Raziel is awesome.
Elder God is awesome.
Secondary characters are awesome.

/thread

That theme is amazing! :D
god i want to go play Soul Reaver and anything else from Legacy of Kain now *sniffs*

yea, every voice in it is freakin' good, not to mention the music scores too, for all the games... though i'm torn between who's 'better', Kain's VA or Squiddy's (Elder God) VA... i'm kinda leaning towards Squiddy, since he put so much emotion into a literal inhuman ELDER GOD :D

VAE VICTIS!! :D

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Hero of Lime said:
Just to name a few:

Sora from Kingdom Hearts II, Haley Joel Osmet has a great voice for slightly older Sora, I would also highlight Kingdom Hearts in general for getting many of the real voices from Disney movies.

Halo's voice work is pretty great, my favorite being Keith David as the Arbiter in Halo 2 and 3.

Mark Hamill for his work in the Batman games and original animated series is excellent, shame he isn't returning for Origins.
Keith David, where have I heard that before?

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
cojo965 said:
Hero of Lime said:
Just to name a few:

Sora from Kingdom Hearts II, Haley Joel Osmet has a great voice for slightly older Sora, I would also highlight Kingdom Hearts in general for getting many of the real voices from Disney movies.

Halo's voice work is pretty great, my favorite being Keith David as the Arbiter in Halo 2 and 3.

Mark Hamill for his work in the Batman games and original animated series is excellent, shame he isn't returning for Origins.
He's been in lots of things, I know he did the voice of the villain in the Princess and the Frog Disney movie, he was in Modern Warfare 2 as the sergeant who kept saying "Ramirez! Do everything!", and I heard he did a voice in Mass Effect, although I haven't played the series so I wouldn't know.

I'm sure IMDB will have much more info if you're curious.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Fknal Fantasy 7. The dude that voiced....no, nevermind. I had something and then I forgot it. Bollocks.

To this day, with all the AAA games released often enough, and some of them actually being really good, (Last of Us was mad), no game though has ever come as close as The Darkness back in...I wanna say 07? Not only was Mike Patton absolutely glorious as the titular character, everyone else in that game was perfect.

And then there was this scene. Warning, spoilers from a 6 year old game follows.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
Hero of Lime said:
cojo965 said:
Hero of Lime said:
Just to name a few:

He's been in lots of things, I know he did the voice of the villain in the Princess and the Frog Disney movie, he was in Modern Warfare 2 as the sergeant who kept saying "Ramirez! Do everything!", and I heard he did a voice in Mass Effect, although I haven't played the series so I wouldn't know.

I'm sure IMDB will have much more info if you're curious.
And if you want to get a visual, watch "They Live". You can see him and "Rowdy" Roddy Piper punch it up for a solid ten minutes in that notorious fight scene.

Recently, he was also the Iman in "Pitch Black" and "Chronicles of Riddick".

On topic, I have agree with the comments about "Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines".

It's the top notch voice acting that makes the game so immersive. Even the minor characters like "Bishop Vick" and the creepy Asian shopkeeper in Chinatown are completely brought to life by the performances.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
The Last of Us has really really impressive voicework and direction. There are probably things that are better in a thespian sense, but as far as realistic acting goes I would go as far as to say it's got the best I've heard. Naughty Dog was really good with that in uncharted as well but the subject matter didn't bring it into quite as bold situations.

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Knights of the Old Republic 2. Pretty much everything Kreia talks about, her tone of voice is impossible to take for granted.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Easton Dark said:

You just never tire of hearing about how the driver is dead.
I love the Harlequin quotes:

"Let your enemies fear... for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side..."

The only good eldar is a dead eldar. Die well.

Sturnn needs a comeback.

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
IllumInaTIma said:
Most of Voice Acting in both Persona 3 and 4. It is thanks to those games I got interested in voice acting and started to appreciate it more. Talented voice actor is capable of giving so much to the character! Erin Fitzgerald's performance as Chie in Persona 4: Golden was one of the reasons I've fallen in love with the character. It's loud, energetic, even obnoxious, just perfect for Chie! Then there is Karen Strassman as Aigis in Persona 3 with her artificial and yet such a kind voice. And then there is Liam O'Brien with his ever tough and gruff voice as Akihiko. I can keep it up for a while, you got my point.
This right here, and everyone in The Last of Us... and also Nolan North as Deadpool 'cuz I just got it and I'm lovin' it.