Greatest Voicework in a Game, EVER!

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
THERE ARE NO RIGHT OR WRONG ANSWERS HERE, ONLY YOURS! Right with that clarified, my vote is Nolan North as Deadpool. Nolan North is an uninspired choice I know, but it sounds like he is having a blast whenever he plays the role. On the serious non-comedy side of the coin, the actor who played Grigori in Dragon's Dogma.

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008
I feel Keith Szarabajka doesn't get nearly as much recognition as he deserves. Hardly anyone knows who he is and he's in almost everything. Seriously, check out his IMDb page, he's played Slate from Bioshock Infinite, Saren AND Harbinger from Mass Effect, just read and be amazed.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Ellen McClain as GLaDOS (and basically everything else she has voiced).

Best antagonist ever.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines still has the best overall voice work and script I've ever encountered in a game, with only a few exceptions every voice actor nails their part and the dialogue is fantastically well done. Haven't seen better yet and that games not far from being ten years old, how depressing is that?

IBlackKiteI

Mar 12, 2010
No particularly stand-out performances really come to mind, but I'd say that the voicing in Bioshock Infinite was some of the most consistently good I've come across in a while. Before that, Sacrifice.

Huh...well that's quite a gap...

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
The voice acting for almost every unit and character in the Dawn of War games was fantastic.

The over-the-top and hamfisted voice acting fits the setting and atmosphere perfectly.

Yassen said:
Keith Szarabajka
Definitely a voice actor that deserves more recognition.

His work in Fallout: New Vegas (Joshua Graham) and Dawn of War II (Apollo Diomedes) was perfect.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Well obviously it's Scott McNeil!

Just kidding, it's actually this guy. Downright chilling.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
The original Metal Gear Solid. Over 2 hours of spoken dialogue and none really sounding bored or badly acted despite having bizarre lines like 'now I will MOVE your controller, by the POWER of my WILL alone!' and 'remember Snake, dark places are dangerous places'. Certainly made David Hayter's reputation, but afterwards I promised I'd check out any other roles Patrick Byrd (Cyborg Ninja & Ocelot) has done.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Armin Shimmerman is a god when it comes to voice acting.
Who did he voice, why none other than this man:

Not only that, but he's also voiced my second favorite villain in video games:
Warning, spoilers in this cutscene

Anathrax

Jan 14, 2013

The fact that none of you mentioned this disappoints me. Stephen Russel is a great actor and it saddens me that he won't be returning for Thifourf

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Most of Voice Acting in both Persona 3 and 4. It is thanks to those games I got interested in voice acting and started to appreciate it more. Talented voice actor is capable of giving so much to the character! Erin Fitzgerald's performance as Chie in Persona 4: Golden was one of the reasons I've fallen in love with the character. It's loud, energetic, even obnoxious, just perfect for Chie! Then there is Karen Strassman as Aigis in Persona 3 with her artificial and yet such a kind voice. And then there is Liam O'Brien with his ever tough and gruff voice as Akihiko. I can keep it up for a while, you got my point.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Stephen Merchant as Wheatley is the first thing I thought of.

Also Troy Baker and Courtney Draper as Booker and Elizabeth, they're really good.
Yassen said:
I feel Keith Szarabajka doesn't get nearly as much recognition as he deserves. Hardly anyone knows who he is and he's in almost everything. Seriously, check out his IMDb page, he's played Slate from Bioshock Infinite, Saren AND Harbinger from Mass Effect, just read and be amazed.
He was Slate? Huh... I should have remembered that when I watched the credits...
Anyway.
Yeah, him too. He's got a serious "when-I-speak-you-shut-up" vibe when he talks.
The only other games I remember him in were LA Noire and Halo 4, and I really like him in Halo 4.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
CriticalMiss said:
Ellen McClain as GLaDOS (and basically everything else she has voiced).

Best antagonist ever.
This. With Wheatley being second. Every line of dialogue from those two is just pure music.

Yassen said:
Most surprising to me on that list is Reed Wahl (Bioshock 2: Minerva's Den) vs. Bartrand Tethras (Dragon Age 2), they're nothing alike at all. Reed is a clear, high-pitch jibbering crazy guy, and Bartrand is a gravelly growling low-pitch dwarf.

That's some pretty good talent.

Anthony Corrigan

Jul 28, 2011
I have to say Sir Patrick Stewart, he is brilliant in everything he does, his narrating of Ted made that movie

"Now if there's one thing you can be sure of, it's that nothing is more powerful than a young boy's wish. Except an Apache helicopter. An Apache helicopter has machine guns AND missiles. It is an unbelievably impressive complement of weaponry, an absolute death machine."

Anyway my point was that everything is improved with Sir Patrick Stewart, so all his voice rolls
especially Oblivion, he was the reason I love that game

Oh and Morrigan in Dragon age is an awesome as well

saxxon.de

Apr 18, 2011
The Last of Us and Uncharted rank pretty high for me, but the first game to totally suck me in from the first line of dialogue delivered was Final Fantasy XII. Also, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow has amazing voicework, fronted by Patrick Stewart.

Oh, and the GTA series of course. The most amazing part of their voicework is that it's multilingual. I am german and even the few lines in german you can hear while walking through Liberty City from GTA IV are top notch, something that is very rare, even in movies.

FoOd77

Jul 2, 2009
I gotta' say the Last of Us, the acting was just perfect all across the board, and the awesome writing sure as hell didn't hurt. Seriously, the quiet moments where it was just Joel and Ellie talking about what the world was like before the outbreak, or Ellie reading aloud her hilariously bad pun book made that game for me.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Devil May Cry 3. Though it's often campy and over-the-top, that just adds to the feel of the game, and it often contributes to scenes where you wouldn't think it would. Having only four major characters probably helps, since you get to know all of them pretty well, but the voice acting for the one-time bosses all works well too.

Mourne

Jan 28, 2010
I have to say, the voicework of Mors and Alestar from the Game of Thrones game was pretty awesome (Mors sounded particularly badass). Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite, as well as the Lutece twins. Most of the Mass Effect series. Chivalry Medieval Warfare (they are extremely hilarious and work together beautifully and sound like they fit).

Also, can't forget Steve Blum. Because you gotta Steve Blum to the Steve Blum while Steve Bluming all the way to Steve Blum.

On a small side note, I hate the voice of Yuri Lowenthal in any game. O.e

Mocmocman

Dec 4, 2012
Gordan Freeman Joke.

Anyway...
+ 1 to Glados
+ 1 to Andrew Ryan
+ 1 to Wheatly
And I felt that Comstock was pretty good in Bioshock infinite. He had the perfect voice for his "Destroy the Sodom below" type speeches.