Green Lantern is Gay

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Making it Alan Scott is a bit of a copout. Hell I didn't even think he was in the New 52.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
You reckon this might be D.C's way of telling Ryan Reynolds that he sucked as Green Lantern? It'd make the sequel somewhat awkward, dunno how R.R feels about doing man/man scenes.

Cyrus Hanley

Oct 13, 2010
008Zulu said:
You reckon this might be D.C's way of telling Ryan Reynolds that he sucked as Green Lantern? It'd make the sequel somewhat awkward, dunno how R.R feels about doing man/man scenes.
In what universe does Alan Scott = Hal Jordan?

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Grey Day for Elcia said:
What did this comic do? It pointed at someone who is gay, it made everyone aware that they "decided to make a character gay," it went out of its way to not just show a a gay man, but to set the stage in a way they would never would for a straight man "coming out."
OK, I do have a slight problem with this. Northstar being excluded, there are actually kindof a LOT of gay superheros in DC and Marvel who don't recieve this fanfare but the big difference is no-one has heard of them. Like I'm willing to bet even money you didn't know Alan Scott's son pre-reboot was gay (and if we're being honest now; Alan Scott's not being made gay because it's good press, but because Obsidian got accidentally retconned and James Robinson kind of introduces a lot of gay characters) so it isn't like they're just saying "look, we have A gay superhero"

I agree it shouldn't be a big deal but it kind of is to some level. There are still people saying homosexuality is wrong, it shouldn't be a big deal, but stuff like this loudly and publicly showing that it's alright to have different sexualities helps by spreading awareness which is still needed for some people (it's not like racism just stopped after Dr King after all)

phantom495 said:
this has actual the way green lantern has always been for awhile now, if you read any of the comics from the late 90's and early 2000's than its prety clear that the character who plays him is a homosexual.
And thank YOU for clearly never reading a comic book. Unless you are genuinely saying you think Alan Scott being married with two kids and being supportive to his gay son was obviously a homosexual. Or Hal with Carol. Or Guy with Ice. Or John with Fatality. Or Kyle with whichever girlfriend he has who hasn't died yet.

jimbob123432

Apr 8, 2011
Hey, let's just all be glad it wasn't Hal Jordan. Wouldn't want another H.E.A.T. on our hands now would we? As for this whole thing, fucks given = 0. Why does it matter?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Cyrus Hanley said:
In what universe does Alan Scott = Hal Jordan?
Mine was a commentary on the disappointment that was the movie, and that D.C couldn't have been too happy with how it turned out either.

theheroofaction

Jan 20, 2011
Eamar said:
So, purely out of interest, how "iconic" is Green Lantern in the US? I'm not a big DC person, and as far as I can tell he's nigh on unheard of over here in the UK (or was until the movie).

I'm genuinely interested to see how big of a statement they're making with this, basically.
Okay, surprised nobody's answered your question yet.

Anyhow, most people know of the green lantern corp and some of it's members, but this is one of the lesser known ones.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
As with most of DCs new choices and decisions with the New 52, I can see their reasoning behind a lot of it, and for the most part, it seems like sound logic- but I'm not convinced on how well it will play out. I mean, there was all that talk about different more liberated female characters- and then we got that ultra-fan service versions of Starfire & Catwoman...

I'm not saying Alan Scott GL is on a slippery slope to resembling a PG yaoi fanfiction, I'm just saying that this might not be anything other than attention grabbing.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Why is there even an article about this? People have been saying "Green Lantern is Gay" ever since the movie came out!

:D

Ok that was a terrible pun. On topic...it seems they're taking the more mature approach and not making it his entire character, which is sensible. But they did get rid of his gay relative, so really, it cancels out.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
spinFX said:
bafrali said:
Green Lantern is Gay.Nobody cares.Lets move on
NO! We do not move on until you add spaces after your periods!!!

WE CAN NOT MOVE ON!!!
Curses! Foiled by grammar nazis again. I will have my revenge!

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
Diana Kingston-Gabai said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
If you even say that homosexuality grosses you out but that you're fine with gay people getting married, you're STILL a bigot.
Well... yes. Because if you said black people gross you out but you're fine with them living in your neighborhood, you'd still be a racist.

There comes a point where people need to stop and think before blurting out whatever pops into their head. If you, personally, have a problem with homosexuality, it is by definition your problem and not necessarily something you need to put out into the world.
Well... yes. If you went around telling black people that they gross you out you'd definitely be a racist, or at the very least an asshole. Anyone who expresses their opinion in an open forum is fair game. Unfortunately you seem to have missed the entire point of my post. My wording was no doubt confusing, so allow me to clarify: if you find homosexual sex distasteful that is enough to make you a horrible bigot in the eyes of the most radical progressives, even if you keep the fact to yourself. These are they types of people that will, if you do not agree with them immediately, go out of their way to question you so they can tell you that you're a bigot. These are the people who cannot recognize any worldview other than their own as legitimate. These are the filth-infested petitioners, the people who boycott random shit. These are the types of liberals who feel the need to go around telling people who were otherwise minding their own business that they're prejudiced and need to change. They are no different in my eyes than the Westboro Baptists.