Gremlins 3 Will Continue The Story 30 Years Later

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Gremlins 3 Will Continue The Story 30 Years Later

According to Gremlins star Zach Galligan, Gremlins 3 will not be a remake or reboot of any kind.

With all the reboots coming out these days, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/gremlins>it's a little surprising that Gremlins hasn't been remade sooner. This beloved 1984 classic of adorable mogwai and murderous gremlins was incredibly well-received, and I suspect anyone reading these words can quote its three rules verbatim. Well, classic Gremlins fans are in luck - actor Zach Galligan not only confirmed a new film is underway, but that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136025-REPORT-Proposed-Gremlins-Reboot-Actually-a-Sequel>it will be a sequel set 30 years after the original.

"It's not going to be a reboot," Galligan said during a Gremlins screening at London's Prince Charles Cinema. "It will not be a remake in any way, shape, or form. [Gremlins writer] Chris Columbus has come out and said that the first film is very near and dear to his heart and as long as he is alive it will never be remade."

Galligan went on to explain that Gremlins 3 would adopt a Jurassic World-styled time jump. The sequel will reference events from the first film, and bring in some classic characters as well. "I swear on my life, I don't know if I'm in it or not," Galligan said, "but I think there is probably a decent chance since I'm one of the few people left standing from the first movie."

The original Gremlins was a horror-comedy which introduced Gizmo - the friendly Mogwai who could not be exposed to bright lights and water, or fed after midnight. Galligan played as Billy, the boy entrusted with Gizmo's care who promptly failed at keeping these rules. This caused Gizmo to spawn new Mogwai which mutated into Gremlins, break loose, and sow chaos and destruction in a small American town. The sequel relocated Gizmo to New York City, where a new batch of Gremlins took control of a high-rise skyscraper.

[gallery=5107]

Galligan didn't have any other specifics on Gremlins 3, but did share his hopes for the finished film. "Hopefully they won't use too much CGI," he said, "or the CGI will be really good like the Planet of the Apes movies, and hopefully we'll have some practical effects too." But in the end, Galligan believes a Gremlins sequel can still attract a large audience.

"In some ways [Gremlins is] bigger now than it was back then due to the internet," he explained. "It seems to still speak to people across the years ... My hairstyle is maybe the most dated thing in the movie."

Source: <a href=http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-34931057>BBC

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
That sounds really, really dumb, in all honesty. Why not just Reboot Gremlins? Why do they have to continue the story 30 years later? That, too me, is too long of a wait for a continuation of any story.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
*sigh*.........can...can we not just let sleeping dogs lie?

Of course not, and fuck me for thinking we could. >.>

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Mr.Mattress said:
That sounds really, really dumb, in all honesty. Why not just Reboot Gremlins? Why do they have to continue the story 30 years later? That, too me, is too long of a wait for a continuation of any story.
If you ask me it's the other way around. Reboot? I've had it up to here with reboots. But a sequel? One that takes place thirty years later? I've never seen that done before. (Except for The Force Awakens. But I haven't actually seen that yet.)

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I doubt that the newer audience will get the film and I also doubt that anyone that did watched the first two actually want a sequel. (Oh god imagine the cgi effects???)

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Loved the original two growing up, though I'm hoping that this one does two things:

1: avoids using excessive amounts of CGI when possible and sticks with practical effects (it really made the Gremlins look so much better).
2: Aims for about the 50/50 horror/comedy balance. I liked the second one, though it was definitely way more tongue in cheek and comedy themed than the first one.

Besides that, tentatively think this could be good.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Mr.Mattress said:
If it were a post-apocalypse story I genuinely think it would be the most awesome thing ever.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
RJ 17 said:
*sigh*.........can...can we not just let sleeping dogs lie?

Of course not, and fuck me for thinking we could. >.>
Of course we can't. It seems like an easy rule to follow, like not feeding something after midnight, but humans never can resist...

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Gremlins is still tied with Scrooged for my most favorite Christmas film. I'm okay with this. A reboot would have just saddened me, but there was never a time in my life when I would have told you I did not want another Gremlins sequel to exist.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
Can we just stop with these stupid unnecessary sequels that don't need them already?

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Glaice said:
Can we just stop with these stupid unnecessary sequels that don't need them already?
The time for that would have been before Gremlins 2. Seriously, just get used to it. Hollywood has hit the Dig up any corpse that had even a shred of popularity and try to suck more money.

Seriously? Gremlins?

You may notice the key tells that this is a calculated PR stunt. He references a recent popular film Jurassic World and how it's going to be like that. Implies les CGI because CGIhas been getting a little unpopular compared to practicall effects., but not mentioning anything about who, the story or anything else

Nailzzz

Apr 6, 2015
I'm actually cautiously optimistic. It was a favorite of mine when I was young. I even liked the 2nd one. I'm actually a bit pleased that this isn't a reboot.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I interviewed Joe Dante in 2011. He said it would be pointless to make Gremlins 3 if they didn't stick to puppetry. So here's hoping.

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
SecondPrize said:
Gremlins is still tied with Scrooged for my most favorite Christmas film. I'm okay with this. A reboot would have just saddened me, but there was never a time in my life when I would have told you I did not want another Gremlins sequel to exist.
I'm afraid that Die Hard is the best Christmas movie, although yes. Scrooged is an excellent Christmas movie.

OT: This actually sounded like a great idea right up until I saw "Jurrasic World".

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
It being called Gremlins 3 implies it take splace after Gremlins 2, which is already kind of a blow against it.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
Oh come on... another franchise that's being pumped back up for extortion?

Just let the old things be, be original come up with something new and impressive.

I'm so tired of 10-20-30 year old re-hashes.

9tailedflame

Oct 8, 2015
Write. Something. Original.

We're really scraping the bottom of the barrel making a second sequel to gremlins, that's pretty low. I feel pity just at the concept. It's a sequel no less, not a reboot, which is slightly worse. It's pretty presumptuous to expect us to remember the last 2 films, or to expect us to go back and watch them, after this long.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Queen Michael said:
Mr.Mattress said:
If you ask me it's the other way around. Reboot? I've had it up to here with reboots. But a sequel? One that takes place thirty years later? I've never seen that done before. (Except for The Force Awakens. But I haven't actually seen that yet.)
You've never seen a movie that takes place years later after the original? There's a ton out there. I can think of: Jurassic World (mentioned in the article), Dukes of Hazard, Hook (starring Robin Williams), Tron Legacy, Dumb and Dumber To

There's got to be more, but my feeble brain can only drag up these this morning. I'd be down for a Gremlins 3 staged 30-years later. There's a Goonies 2 in the works as well.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Clankenbeard said:
Queen Michael said:
Mr.Mattress said:
You've never seen a movie that takes place years later after the original? There's a ton out there. I can think of: Jurassic World (mentioned in the article), Dukes of Hazard, Hook (starring Robin Williams), Tron Legacy, Dumb and Dumber To

There's got to be more, but my feeble brain can only drag up these this morning. I'd be down for a Gremlins 3 staged 30-years later. There's a Goonies 2 in the works as well.
I've never seen a sequel that takes place decades after the original. Well, except Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.