Griefers are Sadists

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
By dictionary definition

Sadist
a person who derives pleasure from the pain on others.

Griefer
a person who annoys or harasses other players for their enjoyment.

So griefers get enjoyment (pleasure) from the annoyance (pain) of others.

Borty The Bort

Jul 23, 2016
You are comparing pain to harassment. Is being annoyed by someone in your game or whatever something you would call "pain?"

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Borty The Bort said:
You are comparing pain to harassment. Is being annoyed by someone in your game or whatever something you would call "pain?"
Mental trauma can be comparable to physical trauma. I remember reading something that basically concluded they are more or less the same in terms of impact.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Ehh, kinda?

*goes back to placing Symmetra teleporter so it leads people straight off a cliff*

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Glongpre said:
Borty The Bort said:
Mental trauma can be comparable to physical trauma. I remember reading something that basically concluded they are more or less the same in terms of impact.
See I would have preferred to have my school bullies yell at me and call me a ****** rather than beat the living hell out of me. Anyone who thinks getting griefed in Overwatch or Minecraft is comparable to getting the shit kicked out of you either plays way too much games or had an abnormally lucky childhood.

Note: Not accusing you at all Glongpre. Just stating in general

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Silentpony said:
Glongpre said:
Borty The Bort said:
See I would have preferred to have my school bullies yell at me and call me a ****** rather than beat the living hell out of me. Anyone who thinks getting griefed in Overwatch or Minecraft is comparable to getting the shit kicked out of you either plays way too much games or had an abnormally lucky childhood.

Note: Not accusing you at all Glongpre. Just stating in general
Well I'd say it's a matter of scale. I'd say getting greifed in a game is more along the lines of that one dickhead friend you have that will keep flicking your ear because he's bored.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Zhukov said:
Ehh, kinda?

*goes back to placing Symmetra teleporter so it leads people straight off a cliff*
Pfft, weaksauce. Mei is the undisputed Queen of Grief.

Or just do what I do and play Ana, and deliberately keep nano-boosting our Mercy/Lucio/Widow/etc.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Can't we just agree that someone getting pleasure out of the unwilling suffering of others is not a very nice person?

Jan 27, 2011
If you want to be ACTUALLY accurate, Greifers are Sadists with no regard for consent. IE, the bad kind, the kind that causes you harm for fun even when you don't agree to be part of their bullshit.

(I make this distinction because I have a friend who actually DOES get off on causing pain, and in addition to being in an adorable committed relationship with BDSM funsies on the table, she's also the most consent-minded person I know. I know her from a LARP I was at, and at one point she was like "Yo, out-of-character for a second, can I give you a sympathy pat on the back? Yeah yeah, I know that's a given, sure, but a person's personal space is theirs alone, you just don't get into someone's space without their express permission")

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Zhukov said:
Ehh, kinda?

You talk about causing people suffering and yet you don't bring up Mei.

For shaaaaaaaaame.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
IceForce said:
Zhukov said:
Ehh, kinda?

Pfft, weaksauce. Mei is the undisputed Queen of Grief.
erttheking said:
You talk about causing people suffering and yet you don't bring up Mei.
Yeah, but Mei is different. Her "griefing" techniques work better against enemy players, so pissing people off with her and playing effectively are almost the same thing.

Although, yes, throwing up a wall in front of an enemy McCree as he high noons or causing a Pharah to kill herself with her ult is pretty hilarious.

Raising walls in front of spawn is just crass though.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Reading this thread is funny because I'm playing EVE Online as we speak. You can actually fit the definition of both as you describe yet be neither. That's just Tuesday. That and actual Griefing is bannable, despite what you and even regular players may perceive.

And now I go back to shooting people and sticking their corpse in my meat locker.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I dont understand "oh but x is worse" logic.

If bill is a racist, do you stop and say "well he didnt kill 6 million of any race, so not really." ?

There are worse examples in the world, no doubt. But griefers do still fit the bill. Theyre getting enjoyment out of ruining other peoples enjoyment.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Eric the Orange said:
So what is "Actual Griefing"?
To be a dick without financial or otherwise visible gain.

Find a guy you want to kill because he fits shiny stuff to his ships and popping him is like a mini-birthday for your wallet and you chase him halfway across the galaxy after wardeccing him? Fair game.

Do the same thing but the guy doesn't really seem to have much value in killing but you decide to dedicate your week to making him suffer by fitting a hundred gank Catalysts to pop his pod whenever he undocks and you use locator agents to find him halfway across the galaxy to continue this so he basically can't play the game? GMs might have a bit of a word with you over your obsession.

And then there is specifically Rookie Griefing which will universally make you despised and banned very fast.