Grim Fandango Remastered Returning From The Afterlife

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Grim Fandango Remastered Returning From The Afterlife

Tim Schafer's Grim Fandango is finally getting its long-awaited re-release for the PlayStation 4 and Vita.

Update: Tim Schafer has teased that Grim Fandango Remastered could be appearing on more platforms than the PS4 and Vita. "Talk about other platforms soon!" <a href=https://twitter.com/TimOfLegend/status/476179637987315714>he wrote via Twitter. "Sony's been a great help making this happen & we're excited to be working with them on the console version!"

Original Story:Grim Fandango is one of those rare games that everyone loved but few people played. The title is now fondly remembered as one of Tim Schafer's LucasArts gems, although I imagine you'd have some trouble running it on modern PCs. Thankfully, Grim Fandango is getting an all-new HD re-release for a new generation of fans, which will make its way to the PlayStation 4 and Vita.

Grim Fandango was an adventure game combining several bizarre elements, most notably film noir, Aztec mythology, and Spanglish dialogue. The game follows Manny Calavera, a travel agent in the Department of Death who discovers a conspiracy to denies souls rightful passage to the peaceful Ninth Underworld. The original game was praised for its humor and character design, and was the first LucasArts game to use 3D computer graphics.

Presumably the finished game will upgrade Grim Fandango's visuals, increasing its resolution and updating the original pre-rendered backgrounds. Whether there will be additional changes, such as new voice recordings, remains to be seen. We'll keep you posted of any new information.

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/content/e3-2014]

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Fanghawk said:
Thankfully, Grim Fandango is getting an all-new HD re-release for a new generation of fans
Yes! YES! THIS IS THE BIGGEST GAMING NEWS OF THE DECADE! NOTHING CAN QUASH MY ENTHUSIAS-
Fanghawk said:
which will make its way to the PlayStation 4 and Vita.

I'm just going to find a nice corner to curl up in and quietly sob myself to sleep now.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Keen, son. I haven't played Grim Fandango, but I know it's a classic, and anything that gets me back on my Vita is a good thing.

momijirabbit

Nov 2, 2012
I would say that Sony wins EA but they spent 40 minutes talking about things that are not games...

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
COME TO THE PC YOU ************!!!!!! I haven't been waiting for years for this damn game to get rereleased to it to be only on sony shit.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
GOOD NEWS PC BRETHEN!

https://twitter.com/TimOfLegend/status/476179637987315714

man i think im gonna buy this on steam week one

a PC port is almost guaranteed

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
Buccura said:
Give it some time and they will say "Oh yeah, it's also coming to the PC."
My first thought. Of course, there's always the chance that it's not, in which case...

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Hah! I've been wanting to play Grim Fandango since it came out - but I've never been a computer gamer!

Yeah, I would normally be a little less enthusiastic about any game after a 16-year wait, but with Tim Schafer in charge, I know it's going to be worth every minute!

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
Absolutely played the original version of this.
Doesn't Disney own this as part of their Lucas acquisition?
Does that me Tim is actually TALKING with what's left of LucasArts?

Still waiting for the picture film based on this... why isn't it happening!!

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
I remember when I was a wee lad, and I had a, what do you Americans call it, a 'crush' on Lupé.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
If there isn't a PC release I think they have been given an insane amount of money from Sony, for I think that would be the biggest market for the game.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Damn, look at all the PC-only fanboys having a breakdown... Wish I had brought my popcorn.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I was almost-excited until I read Ps4/Vita only. Yeah... haven't had a console in years, and I'm not really into buying any of them now. Although they're going to come up with the "oh yeah also PC" at some point.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Arqus_Zed said:
Damn, look at all the PC-only fanboys having a breakdown... Wish I had brought my popcorn.
b-b-b-ut MUH PC AH NEED MUH MUSTARD RACE FIX SO BAD!.

But seriously I'm finding it funny how this years E3 went:

MS talks of Halo, some destructoid users balking about PC releases of all of them without knowing where the collection is meant to be heading.

Sony/MS talking about their own exclusives, Escapist users coming out and claiming disdain for said exclusives even though some have said in the past that it would take said exclusives to sell them the consoles in the first place.

And then we've got PC exclusives which I haven't seen console fans raving about till the sun came up.

This sums up my feelings for a PC port right now.

SachielOne

Former Escapecraft Op
Aug 10, 2009
Someone betting in Vegas was just handed a yacht full of money. I don't think ANYONE expected this one.