Grim Realizations

TWRule

Dec 3, 2010
SwimmingRock said:
My good man, on my better days I've had much the same notion. I've even preached to friends of the beauty merely of living to see another day, enjoying the things with no price, but much value (like the morning-song of birds) and the value of good health, so frequently taken for granted. Lately, however, I am not of a positive disposition. Partially for reasons unclear even to myself. I can't really put it into words effectively, but my response to your post is essentially "yep" and "good luck". I would hug you over the internet if such a thing were possible/allowed.
It's because you are looking for answers that your current worldview is not providing. However, while there may be no objective purpose to life, we as humans can decide among ourselves what the purpose/destiny of humanity should be. Devoting oneself to realizing this end with others gives a sort of purpose of its own. One of the worst things you can do is resign yourself to the descent into nihilism. Take up your share of responsibility for creating the answer for everyone's sake, along with them, and you should be able to rouse yourself from your ennui.

HDi

Aug 23, 2010
I just realised that it's been a whole year since I owned a fridge.

I should really buy one of those. I hear they make life easier.

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
I've run out of tabasco sauce for my chips.
I'm so socially crippled even my 'friends' dont invite me to parties.
My jeans are too big.
I've run out of shelf space for my figurines.
My beds uncomfortable.

These are the things I realised today

.No.

Dec 29, 2010
EcoEclipse said:
The grimmest realization I will ever have--and continue to have inconsistently--is the realization that someday I will die, and I don't know what will happen. It's absolutely harrowing and disquieting. Particularly the possibility of nonexistence.

When I tell you that I would rather burn in hell for eternity than stop existing, I mean it. To me, anything is better than nonexistence.
The thing to remember is, that no matter what you think will happen, whatever happens when you die will not change. The best thing to do is accept it, and try to be happy, 'cause how you feel won't change it.

tendaji

Aug 15, 2008
ToTaL LoLiGe said:
My grim realisation ws that my lack of confidence in social situations could lead to me becoming an unemployed 40 year old virgin. Now to bore you with the details, I'm 16 I've never had a girlfriend and I'm shy as shit. I can't talk to strangers, I know what I want to say but I just choke and can't get my words out.

EDIT: I've decided to add a less depressing realisation. I'm a tea drinker so I almost die inside when I find out I've run out of tea bags or sugar(I can go without sugar I just prefer it) I have thrown many fits of rage because of this.
Yeah I'm 21, same situation in terms of a significant other, and in terms of shyness. I seem to only be able to make friends on the internet and noone in terms of physical friends/relationships.

OT: My grim realization would be that just by transferring to a difference college (a move I had no choice but to do) was that I would lose 26 significant credit hours that I need towards my major, setting me back almost and entire year worth of schooling, just because the college I go to decided it wants to split up its classes into science major, and non-science major classes.

lord canti

May 30, 2009
Matthew94 said:
There are so many downward spirals and it's draining me to avoid them all.

One example is

Not great socially > annoyed about this > shy away from new social situations > makes me even worse as them and makes me feel bad > further shy away etc

I'm trying to break this and my job helps as it forces me to talk to people but I have years of socializing to catch up with compared to everyone else. Having friends that never go out unless you suggest it too doesn't help.
I feel you on that situation buddy. We do the same thing every week and while it's fun I would like to do something else.

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
Im a bastard who takes pleasure in happy peoples suffering.
Awww feel that.....mmmm...feels good.

beniki

May 28, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
I'm 24 years old and I've never had a job.

This isn't from lack of trying, I'm a law & criminology graduate, finished just under 2 years ago and have been looking for a job ever since.

I even volunteered at my local museum to try and get some relevant experience with things such as admin, retail etc, and I still can't get a job. I thought I had a sure thing a few weeks back, the interview went great. A week later, I get a rejection email telling me that, while I did great in the interview, I didn't have enough relevant experience. Everything I have done is in my CV, if I didn't have enough experience then why fucking invite me for an interview?

I'm 24 years old and I've never had a job.

Damn that sucks.
Kind of off topic, but I was in your situation a while back. Spent a year firing off applications at the rate of once a day (no joke... I applied for over 300 jobs that year). And what worked for me, was to pretty much give up on working in the UK. I took a CELTA course (teaching English as a foreign language). After the month long course, I sent my application to a number of schools. I had a job two weeks later.

Don't worry if you're shy, or just don't think you're a good teacher. I was virtually mute before I started the CELTA. Best thing I ever did. Next year I'll be coming back with management experience under my belt, a second language, experience in working with people who can't speak English that well, and practical knowledge of working in three different cultures.

So if you're desperate and don't have a pressing need to stay in your home country, give TEFL a try. Best thing I ever did. Apologies if I've given this advice before, I give it to everyone who says they can't find a job!

Kind of related... my grim realisation was that teaching in Japan was boring as hell, and that if there wasn't an earth quake I wouldn't have much to tell people about my time there beyond, 'It was nice.'

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
After reading through most of the posts:

Welp, my grim realization is that if I keep letting so many opportunities slip through my fingers, I'm gonna royal screw myself over for the rest of my life.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
SwimmingRock said:
tobi the good boy said:
-Snippage-
I sort of find the absurdity of the universe to be a beautiful thing. Intrinsically life and what we do doesn't have meaning, but; our completely unnatural ability to find conviction, passion and ultimately, a personal will to continue, just makes me realise how special we are in the universe. We may not leave a mark, nothing may ever leave a mark in this magnificent expanse of cosmic wonders, but in our brief time on this plane; we could very well be experiencing the grandest gift to ever crawl forth from the hydrogen explosion at the beginning of time, Life.
My good man, on my better days I've had much the same notion. I've even preached to friends of the beauty merely of living to see another day, enjoying the things with no price, but much value (like the morning-song of birds) and the value of good health, so frequently taken for granted. Lately, however, I am not of a positive disposition. Partially for reasons unclear even to myself. I can't really put it into words effectively, but my response to your post is essentially "yep" and "good luck". I would hug you over the internet if such a thing were possible/allowed.
mabye your suffereing from depression....

as for me...Ive run out of wall space and theres so much more stuff I wan tot put on my walls

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Oh I don't know, that I feel that I've fucked myself over in University, I'm shutting myself off from the world, I'm not pursuing my goals, I've got no job, and my world was turned upside down in January when three of my friends were killed in a car accident.

Aug 1, 2010
Erm...... My bag of chips is empty???

....Yeah, that's the worst thing I've thought of in a while.

[image/]http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsrbptjP6w1qiqf01o1_500.png[/IMG]

Not trying to troll or anything, I just don't see the point in being sad!

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
SwimmingRock said:
Alipeewee said:
That moment when you realise that whatever you do in your life, in a few billion years it's all just going to be dust and ash, and thus nothing you ever do will ever be worth doing.

Have a nice day :D
Don't do this shit to me, man. I've been really bothered lately. After getting over my fear of death, I'm finding it hard to have a single reason to keep living. It just seems, in every possible way, the least efficient option. Look, the booze isn't helping, but I'm not in a good way and the crushing realization of my own futility makes every morning a struggle to muster the will to rise.

OT: Fucking hell, I'm 25 and already hate my life. I've got so many more years of misery to go. What the fuck did I sign on for? Is there a refund policy on life? Why did I have so much to drink? Why is my spelling still immaculate under the influence of alcohol?

Aside from that fruitless avenue of inquiry, a grim realization came when I realized I was as afraid of success as of failure. Complacency, ennui, motionless terror seems to be the only thing I can deal with and that's both disgusting and horrifying. Christ, what am I doing? No more booze. No talking. Sorry if this is depressing.
Live because life is fun. It's got thrills! Action! Drama! Experience it all, bro, live it up!

rednose1

Oct 11, 2009
Alipeewee said:
That moment when you realise that whatever you do in your life, in a few billion years it's all just going to be dust and ash, and thus nothing you ever do will ever be worth doing.

Oh, but it gets even better! Thanks to entropy, everything in all of existence will eventually be gone. The star will fade one by one, the last bit of energy will be lost to the surroundings, and the universe will simply cease to be, everywhere and forever.

Tends to get me down when I stop and think about it. Granted won't be for millions of years, and hell, humanity will be long gone before then, but still....the end of all existence into a quiet blackness just seems sad. I want a huge explosion dammit!

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Alipeewee said:

There's a flip side to that though, all the screw ups and embarrassing things you've done won't matter either. No one will care that you crashed your dads car or forgot your wedding anniversary when the sun implodes.
And all those people you absolutely hate or are super jealous of because everything good happens to them: dead.

Time cleanses all things, for good or ill.

My grim realization = that I'll never be a kid again, and that being an adult kinda sucks.

Stravant

May 14, 2011
When I realize that I managed to score a 60% on a test this year. (For a point of reference I haven't gotten under 90% on anything in several years up to that point)

Then I feel like a failure because my parents were very disappointed in me.

DesertMummy

Jan 6, 2011
Here's one: There is no God, there is no Heaven, no Hell, nothing. This really fucking blows, and I wish it weren't true, but it is, sorry. Also, It's 2012, and people STILL believe in a man in the sky, honestly?

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Drenaje1 said:
There are none greater than "If I don't do my work NOW, I'm actually going to be fucked."

It's quite unfair, really. My schedule is so packed full of leisure time, it's getting harder and harder to squeeze in time for doing school work.
What a coincidence. That is actually occurring for me right... now...

as I type. After I post this, I am going to take a deep breath, close my web browser, and continue my project.

I swear.

For real this time.

Totally...gonna...do it.

edit: Damnit, I lied, cuz this was above me;

man in the sky
Common misconception about the Judeo-Christian depiction of G-d.

It's more like the universe's own self-awareness, rather than a heavenly santa clause.

okay TOTALLY for real this time. Closing the browser!