Gripes About Bioshock Infinite

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Just finished up my first playthrough and felt like voicing some complaints. I'll get the spoiler ones out of the way first.

I enjoy a good mental warp as much as the next, but good god did that ending come out of left field. Maybe it's because up to that point I had read the foreshadowing well enough to predict pretty much every major plot point in the game...that is until you get to Comstock Home. Truly that is THE place of nightmares!

But seriously, can't say I was expecting a good ol' Darth Vader "No, Elizabeth....I am your father!" moment. Well, it's the same type of revelation, just a different delivery on it. But if you ask me it was a bit contrived...I'm still not entirely certain how Comstock and Columbia came into being at all. My biggest question is specifically what sins was Booker trying to rid himself of at the Baptism? When you first arrive there during the ending, Booker says it was right after the Battle of Wounded Knee. That leads me to believe that he was washing away all the horrors he committed during the wars. But if that's the case, then he was reborn as Comstock before Booker had Anna. And if THAT'S true, how could Booker have Anna for Future-Booker/Comstock to rip open a hole and steal? Or am I simply thinking too hard about this and just fill in all the blanks with "quantum mechanics, they just found one of the infinite worlds in which Booker never became Comstock" which - since I fully admit I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to such things - basically equates to good ol' fashioned magical science.

Alright, that's more of a question than a ccmlaint. Just something I couldn't really wrap my head around, but hell, that was one doozy of an ending. A genuine gripe is that they never reveal just what the hell the deal is with Elizabeth. Why is she able to see and open tears?

Also, for that matter, I wish they would have explained what the hell the deal was with the Vigors. I'm not saying they had to do like the first two games and have the entire story revolve around the developement of super powers, but just as it was nice to know that plasmids came from a substance secreted by sea slugs, it would have been nice to know what technology or discovery led to people being able to throw flocks of ravens, do a good ol' vanguard charge, levitate everything in front of them, and catch frickin' bullets. Just a simple recording of some scientist describing the discovery would have sufficed, just for a "Well now you know" type of deal.

And this one can't really count because I've only beaten the game once and therefor don't yet have a basis for comparison, buuuuut it seems to me the choices you make don't really matter. Yeah, yeah, that good ol' ME3 complaint. But honestly, does it make a difference if you pick the Bird or Cage pendant?
I just wonder if the decisions affecting the ending take place much earlier in the game than you'd think, since during the entire ending sequence you're not given any choices at all (I'm assumin that no matter what way you go when you're walking between the lighthouses, you'll always find out that you're Comstock and therefor have to kill yourself to save Elizabeth). The reason I think this is because ater picking Bird and calling Songbird to destroy the Siphon, I got the achievement "The Bird or The Cage?" Which leads me to believe that if you pick the Cage pendant, you'll instead preserve the Siphon and quite possibly lead to an alternative ending.
Or do all roads lead to Comstock living unless Booker kills himself?
Now for some non-spoiler, basic mechanic gripes. For starters, I didn't like the fact that you couldn't save your game at any point. This means that if you're part-way between checkpoints and have to leave, you've got to start over from the last checkpoint you reached. I liked being able to save where I wanted and when I wanted, like in the first two games.

Also...what the hell happened to the map? One of those would have come quite in handy...especially when trying to find all the locked chests and Vox Secrets.

Maybe it was just that I was playing on Medium, but it seemed like you pretty much have infinite ammo during combat. I was able to take the first sniper rifle and first RPG you find in the game all the way to the end. I only changed my sniper rifle for the shotgun in Comstock house because I discovered the joys of Charge-Shotgunning people, up until then I had been using the Bronco and easily sniping the helpless fools out of the air. But no matter what gun you're using, whenever you get low, Elizabeth is there - for the most part - to throw you some more ammo. Same thing with health, though it doesn't necessarily save you if you're getting your ass handed to you, but if you're hurting here comes a free medkit out of nowhere. Just seemed that it made the combat a little easier to deal with than it was in the first two games.

And finally, I miss Booze Hound and having an ice power. :(

All in all, I loved the game. As most people rave, it's got absolutely fantastic story telling and the world is truly beautiful. My favorite thing about the game is that it's a living, breathing world, and a damn beautiful one at that. You get to see the city BEFORE the shit hits the fan, unlike arriving in Rapture to find an already dead and destroyed world. The funny thing about the ending is that I feel like I don't understand it...and yet at the same time I do. If you've beat the game you should know what I'm talking about...I think my nose is bleeding...

P.S. The most money Elizabeth flipped to me in a single coin was $275...that's a big coin.

P.S.S. Fucking hate those god damn Sirens.....

Karoshi

Jul 9, 2012
RJ 17 said:
Alright, that's more of a question than a ccmlaint. Just something I couldn't really wrap my head around, but hell, that was one doozy of an ending. A genuine gripe is that they never reveal just what the hell the deal is with Elizabeth. Why is she able to see and open tears?
As Lutece has stated, "the universe does not like when you mix it's peas with porridge". Elizabeth does not only not belong there, but her pinkie finger is still in the old world! She has a connection and therefore it's easier for her to see and break down the weak spots between the worlds.

RJ 17 said:
Maybe it was just that I was playing on Medium, but it seemed like you pretty much have infinite ammo during combat. I was able to take the first sniper rifle and first RPG you find in the game all the way to the end. I only changed my sniper rifle for the shotgun in Comstock house because I discovered the joys of Charge-Shotgunning people, up until then I had been using the Bronco and easily sniping the helpless fools out of the air. But no matter what gun you're using, whenever you get low, Elizabeth is there - for the most part - to throw you some more ammo. Same thing with health, though it doesn't necessarily save you if you're getting your ass handed to you, but if you're hurting here comes a free medkit out of nowhere. Just seemed that it made the combat a little easier to deal with than it was in the first two games.
On Hard I had to abandon my weapons midfight during every large battle, especially if there was no vendor around. I couldn't rely on Elizabeth and her supplies, since the enemies hit too hard and are seemingly everywhere.

I was afraid in the beginning that Elizabeth's ability is too OP, but honestly, it barely makes a dent (although it is a life-saver in many cases).

Averant

Jul 6, 2010
Okies, from the top.

I really, really liked the ending, especially the big reveal at the end, (which apparently some snooty bastards on this forum dislike because it's "cliche". Well, fuck them for being so goddamn smart. I bite my thumb at them.) and the drowning afterwards. Liz being Booker's daughter, I half saw coming, and I honestly thought he'd be a bit more emotional, but oh well.

Yes, Booker wanted to wash away the sins he committed during the war, namely killing so many injuns and enjoying it, to boot.

For your question about anna, the answer is basically: it's the multiverse, you're thinking about it too hard, because it's fairly simple. Comstock became sterile because of tear experiments he performed with Leutece, or however you spell her name, and so he went to an alternate universe to find another version of himself with a daughter.

Most of your questions about plot can be answered by finding the voxophones, of which there are many. Seriously, 80 of the fucking things, and if you didn't get them you had no bloody idea what was going on at all. Intentional, maybe, but damn them for doing it. I like knowing plot.

I didn't much get the reason why Elizabeth was so powerful myself, but again, voxophones. Apparently universes don't like foreign entities, and they get upset when one person is in multiple places at once. Liz got take though the portal as a baby, and when she reached out, the portal closed and cut off her pinky finger, leaving her with part of her being in one universe, and the rest in another, resulting in her being able to destabilize that universe to a very high degree.

As for the vigors? You guessed it! Voxo-fucking-phones. Apparently Fink had a brother who could find natural tears, and could hear popular music from different universes, which is how he became a famous musician. Fink used them to spy on a famous biologist (probably the one from the original bioshock, due to the similar nature of vigors and plasmids) and got rich THAT way, along with his weapons.

As for choices, well... I'm afraid I don't really know. I've only played through it once myself, and I was a good little boy on that run through, so I got a reward occasionally. I picked the bird necklace as well, so who knows? I'll pick the cage on my next run-through, see what happens. From what I've read on another thread, the whole "drown-booker-to-kill-comstock" worked because they were in something like the 5th dimension (fuck if I know what that means) and the pond area was where all the choices converged into one. Or something.

As for the rest:

I'm neutral on the game saves. God knows I played it long enough that I only had to leave it a few times... >_>

A map would've been... nice. Very nice, actually. Especially if I could mark shit down on it. Why do they never include the ability to mark the map? I forget easily, damnit.

Feeling that the game is too easy? Play on hard mode. Pretty much the only way I won was hunkering down behind a piece of cover and hoping they either didn't try to flank me or stayed still long enough for me to draw a bead on them with my rifle. And god forbid if they had Hailfires. Fucking indirect weapons with explosive rounds... Rendered half my hiding spots useless, and the other half increasingly perilous. Playing on hard mode? You'll run out of ammo. You'll be constantly harassed down to no shields, you're usually half health, and god forbid you run out of ammo when you're facing a patriot or a handyman. Elizabeth saved my ass more times than I can remember, and to top it off, I don't have to look after her! Such a blessing. Be glad for that free medkit, because the rest of them are in a tear on the other side of the battlefield.

And the ending left me bouncing up and down and swearing with excitement and sadness. I wanted them to go to Paris... :(

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Averant said:
I got the voxophones in the Finkton area talking about how his brother was finding tears and writing great music and how Fink was going to try to use them to make hismelf rich and famous too, but apparently I missed the one that talked about studying a biologist because yeah, I had no idea.

:p But that's one of the things I didn't get about the game. In one of the pre-release videos, they said they liked making it in the Sky because they noticed fans of the other games rarely looked up, and so putting it in the sky definitely encouraged that. Yeeeeeeeeet I spent the majority of the game with my nose to the ground, searching for those damn voxophones.

And I half-figured that had to be the case on Hard, because Medium was just too easy (I like to start out there with all games so I can get a feel for the gameplay before putting myself to the test on Hard), Elizabeth literally never lets you run out of ammo and I'd say a good 80% of the time she's there with a health-pack in case of emergencies, but only one ever minute or so.

But Elizabeth is the source of another gripe of mine that I forgot to mention....her face gets stuck with whatever emotional response the last story-bit you pass through ends with. Now it makes sense that she'd be pouting and scowling for a good long while after the bits where you say something that pisses her off. But if it ends with something confusing or strange, she gets this brow-cocked, mouth partly open "wtf?" kinda look that sticks on her face until you get to the next story bit. It's just awkward having her be all pissed-off pouty or stuck in "wtf" mode as she's still happily flipping you coins or leaning against/sitting on something.

Well now that I know (mostly) all the secrets of the plot, time to play through with a guide to help me find the voxophones, think I missed a good solid 20 of the damn things...and apparently a lot of the answers I seek are hidden in those.

Sexy Devil

Jul 12, 2010
Averant said:
Okies, from the top.

I really, really liked the ending, especially the big reveal at the end, (which apparently some snooty bastards on this forum dislike because it's "cliche". Well, fuck them for being so goddamn smart. I bite my thumb at them.) and the drowning afterwards. Liz being Booker's daughter, I half saw coming, and I honestly thought he'd be a bit more emotional, but oh well.

Yes, Booker wanted to wash away the sins he committed during the war, namely killing so many injuns and enjoying it, to boot.

For your question about anna, the answer is basically: it's the multiverse, you're thinking about it too hard, because it's fairly simple. Comstock became sterile because of tear experiments he performed with Leutece, or however you spell her name, and so he went to an alternate universe to find another version of himself with a daughter.

Most of your questions about plot can be answered by finding the voxophones, of which there are many. Seriously, 80 of the fucking things, and if you didn't get them you had no bloody idea what was going on at all. Intentional, maybe, but damn them for doing it. I like knowing plot.

I didn't much get the reason why Elizabeth was so powerful myself, but again, voxophones. Apparently universes don't like foreign entities, and they get upset when one person is in multiple places at once. Liz got take though the portal as a baby, and when she reached out, the portal closed and cut off her pinky finger, leaving her with part of her being in one universe, and the rest in another, resulting in her being able to destabilize that universe to a very high degree.

As for the vigors? You guessed it! Voxo-fucking-phones. Apparently Fink had a brother who could find natural tears, and could hear popular music from different universes, which is how he became a famous musician. Fink used them to spy on a famous biologist (probably the one from the original bioshock, due to the similar nature of vigors and plasmids) and got rich THAT way, along with his weapons.

As for choices, well... I'm afraid I don't really know. I've only played through it once myself, and I was a good little boy on that run through, so I got a reward occasionally. I picked the bird necklace as well, so who knows? I'll pick the cage on my next run-through, see what happens. From what I've read on another thread, the whole "drown-booker-to-kill-comstock" worked because they were in something like the 5th dimension (fuck if I know what that means) and the pond area was where all the choices converged into one. Or something.

As for the rest:

I'm neutral on the game saves. God knows I played it long enough that I only had to leave it a few times... >_>

A map would've been... nice. Very nice, actually. Especially if I could mark shit down on it. Why do they never include the ability to mark the map? I forget easily, damnit.

Feeling that the game is too easy? Play on hard mode. Pretty much the only way I won was hunkering down behind a piece of cover and hoping they either didn't try to flank me or stayed still long enough for me to draw a bead on them with my rifle. And god forbid if they had Hailfires. Fucking indirect weapons with explosive rounds... Rendered half my hiding spots useless, and the other half increasingly perilous. Playing on hard mode? You'll run out of ammo. You'll be constantly harassed down to no shields, you're usually half health, and god forbid you run out of ammo when you're facing a patriot or a handyman. Elizabeth saved my ass more times than I can remember, and to top it off, I don't have to look after her! Such a blessing. Be glad for that free medkit, because the rest of them are in a tear on the other side of the battlefield.

And the ending left me bouncing up and down and swearing with excitement and sadness. I wanted them to go to Paris... :(
I wouldn't sweat it man, literally everything except the Avengers gets called cliche on the Escapist.

Also while we've got this thread going, what the hell did the post-credits scene mean?

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
I absolutely loved the story but I felt that the gameplay itself was somewhat of a step down from the first two games. The shooting was solid and smooth but the gameplay felt a little shallow to me compared to what I was expecting/hoping for.

Vigors for example felt like a get out of jail free card rather than a tactical weapon, most of them were simple, just hit a single button and all your troubles go away.

Another problem I had was with the weapon upgrades. They were all just boring standard upgrades, like damage improvement, recoil reduction or clip size increases. It would have been nice to see some upgrades which offer more utility to a weapon or just do something a little more interesting. Also some of the less conventional novelty weapons like the RPG, Heater or Hail Fire felt a little useless.

The handymen were a particularly big disappoint for me, they didn't live up to the big daddies in the previous games at all. Because they were not optional they didn't really offer much of a challenge or a reward, also there were a very small number of them in the entire game[footnote]Four if my memory is correct.[/footnote]. I found that you could pretty much outrun them and deal with them by running away, turning around and shooting for a short time before turning your back to them and running away again, repeating this process until they died. This and the fact that there was no variety between individual handymen[footnote]At least in Bioshock 1 the Big Daddies had Rosies, Bioshock 2 had even more variety.[/footnote] always made my encounters with them feel rather underwhelming.

Don't get me wrong, I really loved playing the game, the story aspect was wonderful but I felt like there was room for improvement in the gameplay aspect.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Sexy Devil said:
Averant said:
Okies, from the top.

As for the rest:

I wouldn't sweat it man, literally everything except the Avengers gets called cliche on the Escapist.

Also while we've got this thread going, what the hell did the post-credits scene mean?
That was another gripe that I had.
Is that perhaps Elizabeth sent the Booker you play as back in time to before he gave the child away, allowing him to redeem himself now that he has redeemed his daughter by accepting that he must be sacrificed.

But honestly I've no flippin' clue. :p

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
SlaveNumber23 said:
The handymen were a particularly big disappoint for me, they didn't live up to the big daddies in the previous games at all. Because they were not optional they didn't really offer much of a challenge or a reward, also there were a very small number of them in the entire game. I found that you could pretty much outrun them and deal with them by running away, turning around and shooting for a short time before turning your back to them and running away again, repeating this process until they died. This and the fact that there was no variety between individual handymen always made my encounters with them feel rather underwhelming.
I think you may be looking at it the wrong way. Yeah there weren't any variety when it came to the Handyman, but that was just one enemy in a class of "heavy hitters". You also have the Patriot, the Boy of Silence, and the Siren. Not to mention all of the variety that exists in the normal enemies. You have your heavy, armored enemies with rpgs or volley guns, your sniper enemies, your machine gunners, and your guys that try to club you to death (for some reason). Then you have the crow people and the firemen mixed in to muck stuff up. I actually liked the enemy variety in this game.

Yellowfish

Nov 8, 2012
I second the absence of a normal save function. It's just stupid not to have that. I suppose I could blame it on the consoles as I always do in situations like this one, but there's a lot of console games that allow the player to save or load at any point.

Also, the final encounter is boring as hell. Instead of a good old-fashioned bossfight you get some stupid "protect the objective" sequence.

Also, I believe that limiting the amount of weapons carried by the player impacted the game negatively. All the guns feel the same, there are no interesting or unique ones. This makes the gameplay a bit stale in my opinion.

Oh, and the Siren. That thing made me bite my keyboard in frustration. If you have an enemy that is capable of endlessly resurrecting lesser fallen enemies, then these lesser enemies shoud drop bullets every time they are killed. The player should also have multiple ways of preventing the enemies from being resurrected. I thought that maybe popping their heads with the revolver would stop them from rising again, but nope, their heads just regrow as they rise. Also, the song that plays whenever she's around starts to grate after about five seconds.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
TopazFusion said:
Oh, another thing, though not really a gripe.

Elizabeth trapped me in the corner of a room once.
She wouldn't get out of the way, I couldn't PUSH her out of the way, and I couldn't jump over her.
I had to reload from the last checkpoint save, and lose a whole lot of gameplay. I wasn't too happy about that.

Another time, going up an elevator, Elizabeth didn't get in. She got left behind.
Booker then had a conversation with her, despite her not even being there at all! (She warped-in correctly after the elevator's loading screen however)

ugh, companion AI eh? It's never perfect.
RJ 17 said:
What do you mean?
You.. you're a mod now?!!?

Well shit... :)

I wondered if other folks had problems with Elizabeth's pathing, she also trapped me in a room. Also, in the Shantytown skylines she jumped on right in front of me and I bumped into her enough to slow me down and get killed :/

But those are minor hiccups at best.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Yeah, I hate the checkpoint system. If I want to replay the Handymen fights or much of the Skyhook arenas, I have to replay... maybe four hours of the game, just to get to one point that I like.

And gunplay felt really easy. The only games with drawbacks were the Repeaters, Burst Guns, the Pistol, and the Bird's Eye/Sniper Rifle, because at least they chewed through ammo or didn't have enough bang. The Shotgun and Heater absolutely destroyed everything in the general direction you aimed at. Weapons like the Volley Gun and Crank Gun gave you too much fire power and little drawbacks. The Handcannon was, without a doubt, the best gun for being super accurate and almost no reload time. At least in Bioshock, weapons were rather powerful, but you hardly found more than maybe ten shots instead of Infinite's entire magazines, and money was a lot more scarce and you couldn't hold as much money.

And holding two weapons. Really, I just rocked the Handcannon and some other heavy hitter (Shotgun, Carbine, RPG) for the whole game.

And the weapons in general got boring! What happened to Bioshock's Chemical Thrower, or Crossbow, or Grenade Launcher that could shoot Heatseekers and Proximity Mines? All weapons in Infinite are either hitscan or explosive.

I also miss the unique models for giving upgrades to your weapons. It at least gave a feeling of steampunk and customization to your weapon.

And I miss First Aid Kits and Eve Hypos. Nothing was as hardcore in battle as stabbing yourself with a Hypo. Now if you're low, Elizabeth will toss you one for no drawbacks, and you find them everywhere.

Still. Really fun game, but it just wasn't as much of a Bioshock game.

TopazFusion said:
RJ 17 said:
What do you mean?
I think it's the Boys of Silence, easily the coolest thing in the game.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
TopazFusion said:
Oh, another thing, though not really a gripe.

Elizabeth trapped me in the corner of a room once.
She wouldn't get out of the way, I couldn't PUSH her out of the way, and I couldn't jump over her.
I had to reload from the last checkpoint save, and lose a whole lot of gameplay. I wasn't too happy about that.

Another time, going up an elevator, Elizabeth didn't get in. She got left behind.
Booker then had a conversation with her, despite her not even being there at all! (She warped-in correctly after the elevator's loading screen however)

ugh, companion AI eh? It's never perfect.
RJ 17 said:
What do you mean?
Heh I see you understand my pain of "No Saving Whenever You Want."

Really the only graphic glitch I ran into was Elizabeth warping to a wall or bench or something when she wanted to sit or lean on something. She'd be standing next to me, then just zip right over to said wall or bench.

As for the Sirens, what's not to like about a flying enemy that's incredibly tough to kill that can summon up an entire army of the dead in a matter of moments? /sarcasm :p

With the weapons, yeah, it definitely slowed me down only being able to carry 2 at a time. However they made it so that you always keep all the ammo you find for any given gun, even if you're not currently carrying it, so no matter which gun you pick up you'll pretty much always have full ammo for it. So that wasn't too bad.

I did, however, miss the hacking mechanic. That was another one of my gripes. For starters I didn't like how god damn expensive Possession was (that's what kept me from using it more, even with the upgrade that cuts its "casting cost"), but beyond that hacking turrets is only temporary (except the flying ones, those seem to stay hacked permanently). I can understand not being able to perma-charm a Patriot since those things are walking death machines, but come on, let me at least keep the damn turrets without worrying about clearing out a battlefield and then having the turret suddenly turn hostile again and start shooting at me.

I'd take hacking over possession any day.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
TheYellowCellPhone said:
TopazFusion said:
RJ 17 said:
What do you mean?
I think it's the Boys of Silence, easily the coolest thing in the game.

Come on, fellas! Was I the only one that watched the "Beware the Sirens" Heavy Hitter trailer? Sirens aren't the guys with the horns on their heads, they're the ghosts that go around conjuring armies of pissed of nazi zombies in a matter of 3 seconds. You know the ones, hard to point out when you've got 20 angry guys with guns shooting at you, constantly bouncing around the field, take damn near forever to kill...

FootloosePhoenix

Dec 23, 2010
RJ 17 said:
Really the only graphic glitch I ran into was Elizabeth warping to a wall or bench or something when she wanted to sit or lean on something. She'd be standing next to me, then just zip right over to said wall or bench.
Reminds me of a rather hilarious and creepy time when Elizabeth suddenly appeared behind a locked gate in a cemetery and stood staring out at me until I moved far enough away for her to warp out of there. It also felt like I had quite a few moments of "Hey, where'd Elizabeth go?" only for her to appear right next to me a second later.

My biggest gripe right now? Well I'm stuck very near the end of the game in which you're supposed to stop what is essentially an army from destroying something you're supposed to be protecting. On Hard it made me want to snap my controller in half. I turned it down to Medium after about seven failed attempts and it didn't seem to make much of a difference, but I ragequit after two tries of that. I hear the ending is incredible, but I honestly doubt it'll be worth continuing to put myself through this torture. Christ, and people thought the Little Sister escort mission near the end of the first BioShock was bullshit.

bladeofdarkness

Aug 6, 2009
If there is one single complaint about the narrative, its that the vigors make little sense in this game.
don't get me wrong, from a gameplay standpoint its extremely fun, and no one would consider making a "Bioshock" game without them, but from a narrative viewpoint, they don't make as much sense as the Plasmids did in the first Bioshock.
the Plasmids, were a large part of the whole "ADAM","Splicer" and "Little Sisters/Big Daddy" angle that played a very large part in the world of Rapture and its downfall as a whole.
and much of the point of Bioshock was about how you can make great advances in science in the absence of moral limitations of the research (stem-cell research taken to its "fear mongering" conclusion).

there was nothing in Colombia that justifies having "super powers in a bottle" to that extent.
and since there doesn't seem to be the same level of mental decay that splicing causes, there is no logic to having most of the population being "baseline" humans despite ready access to such powers.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Mr.Tea said:
RJ 17 said:
Come on, fellas! Was I the only one that watched the "Beware the Sirens" Heavy Hitter trailer? Sirens aren't the guys with the horns on their heads, they're the ghosts that go around conjuring armies of pissed of nazi zombies in a matter of 3 seconds. You know the ones, hard to point out when you've got 20 angry guys with guns shooting at you, constantly bouncing around the field, take damn near forever to kill...
Meh, why do trailers count for anything?

The fact is that the final game doesn't have Sirens, only
Elizabeth's mother.
Well in this case they at least count for giving you the proper name of the enemies.

Elizabeth's mother is of an enemy class known as the Sirens. I'd imagine the reason the trailer didn't say "So here's Elizabeth's Mother" is because that'd be a rather large spoiler. :p

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
You need to play on hard difficulty.

There's a lot less ammo. I frequently ran out during the bigger fights, leading to some desperate moments.

Also, on hard, Elizabeth doesn't throw you stuff anywhere near as frequently as what you're describing on medium. She'll sling you ammo now and again and save you with timely health kits or salts, but she certainly won't keep you in ammo for the whole game.

The enemies are a lot beefier. Handymen in particular are kind of terrifying. They'll kill you in 2-3 hits and soak bullets something fierce. Even the motorized patriots are tough enough o be scary if they get close. Regular enemies are tough enough that I stopped using the shotgun because it wasn't killing fast enough, even with upgrades.

Maybe I'm a lot worse at FPSs than you, but I found playing on hard to be downright frantic.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
bladeofdarkness said:
If there is one single complaint about the narrative, its that the vigors make little sense in this game.
don't get me wrong, from a gameplay standpoint its extremely fun, and no one would consider making a "Bioshock" game without them, but from a narrative viewpoint, they don't make as much sense as the Plasmids did in the first Bioshock.
the Plasmids, were a large part of the whole "ADAM","Splicer" and "Little Sisters/Big Daddy" angle that played a very large part in the world of Rapture and its downfall as a whole.
and much of the point of Bioshock was about how you can make great advances in science in the absence of moral limitations of the research (stem-cell research taken to its "fear mongering" conclusion).

there was nothing in Colombia that justifies having "super powers in a bottle" to that extent.
and since there doesn't seem to be the same level of mental decay that splicing causes, there is no logic to having most of the population being "baseline" humans despite ready access to such powers.
Actually...

In one of the audio recordings, the man who created the vigors explains that his brother was naturally gifted at finding "natural tears" like the ones you can hear popular music coming out of in game. This leads to that man becoming a famous musician because he essentially steals the music and makes it his own. One such natural tear is found, but it allowed the man who created the vigors to observe a "famous biologist" and come up with the idea and technology for vigors from that. This seems to suggest (at least to me) that he was watching whoever created the plasmids. This type of plagiarist behavior comes up elsewhere in the game, for instance another audio recording says that when Elizabeth was young she opened a tear that allowed the people who were studying her to discover technology to make the Songbird.

EDIT: Most of the enemies in the game aren't using vigors at all, there are only two enemy types that use them (Crows and Firemen), and I believe that they are sufficiently weird.