GTA Baton Rouge: Man Claims Game Inspired His Crime Spree

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
I'm just glad no one was killed. That's the LAST thing we need right now.

Hopefully people will attribute this more to his being from Alabama than his playing a violent video game.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
I wonder if he was so nuts he honestly believes this, or if he's just using GTA as a scapegoat so that people focus on that instead of on him.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Well I hope he had his fun since he is going to have a new set of 12' problems going in and out of him. lol. I hope he gets justice in jail being someone's *****.

AlwaysPractical

Oct 7, 2011
*Sweet Home Alabama*

Redneck 20-year old steals car, fails spectacularly of course, and says Jesus told him to do it. The fact that this should make headlines is ridiculous but will be exactly what everybody focuses on here.

Dumoras

May 15, 2012
does anyone else look at him, hear the story and think kelso from that 70s show

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
damn-it damn-it damn-it.....We don't need any more fuel for this idiot fire. If violent video games cause violence then i would have murdered many people be now. this man is a gigantic moron or most likely mental unstable. people are getting all up about the horrible things in the game, I've seen worse in movies. I love the movie Payback and that has a man getting his toes smashed with a hammer. Any body that does these things and blames it on video games, has something not right in the head. i usually re-read these but i'm drunk and don't want to, sorry don't want to proof it.

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
sleeky01 said:
Thanks to google I read that this incident happened at 2:30 Sat morning and he was released on an $80.000 bond Sun morning.

And where does a 20 yr old get this kind of money on such short notice? My guess would be rich parents. Perhaps this is where the focus should be? The self-entitlement of the rich youth is the prime cause of incidents like this. Bored kids with nothing better to do than.....blah blah blah.

See can play this pointless game.
$80 bucks is nothing man. You could work a part time job for minimum wage for less than 2 days and have that in your wallet.

EDIT: Was that maybe supposed to read $80,000? If so, that is a little more substantial, but bail doesn't mean you have to have the cash on hand, nor does it mean his parents are wealthy. If they own a house, they put it down as collateral* with a bondsman who then pays the bail on their behalf. $80k isn't much as far as property values go.

*When he shows up for court, the bondsman gets the money back and charges the parents interest. If he skips town, his parents lose the house to the bondsman who loses his $80k.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
"Burgess allegedly claimed that he wanted to see what it was really like to play Grand Theft Auto" Then buy the game you stupid, drunk, arsehole. So this guy aspires to be a criminal? Why?

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
One guy claims video games made him do it, watch the news media jump on it like sharks. You have countless people who claim god told them to do somethings far worse and those same asshats will defend them til they are blue in the face. I seriously hope someone somewhere mentioned something like that at the inevitable media frenzy this will bring.
"SEE! This shows that video games cause violence and murder sprees!"
"Congratulation we have our first case of someone claiming video games made them do it. Lets put that beside all the people who claimed god made them do things, and the people who said santa clause, the easter bunny, clowns and so on and so forth."
This pisses me off because games have horrible PR as it is now some jackass trying to get out of blame is going to cause yet another backlash.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I wonder what a lot of things would be like. Then, that little sanity switch in my head stays turned on and I pass along to the next wondering thoughts of my day.

Interestingly enough, it was like GTA for him. He got arrested.