GTA IV expansion

Tomw1812

Nov 9, 2008
So, i've just heard of a gta4 expansion avaible for download exclusively from xbl in february 2009 (yes i am in the stone age)
The expansion will see a new stroyline and characters but stay in New York (gasp!) I mean um... Libery City.
The expansion is supposed to "show a different side to liberty city."
I've added this topic basically so people could express how they felt about the news
On a side note, it's ok to complain you won't get it on ps3 or pc, but no console wars please. We are better than that on the escapist.
I thank you.

Darth Marsden

Sep 12, 2008
Tomw1812 said:
On a side note, it's ok to complain you won't get it on ps3 or pc, but no console wars please. We are better than that on the escapist.
Ok. I'm annoyed we probably won't get this on the PC. Apart from that, I couldn't care less.

The Potato Lord

Dec 20, 2007
EzraPound said:
GTA IV was an expansion pack.
Yes, obviously a 30+ hour set of story missions is so short it must be an expansion especially when The main character has *gasp* character development! Shocking, I know, but it was an expansion obviously.

On-topic: I just finished GTA 4 after a few weeks of Fallout 3, and it was easily one of the best games I've played so I'm looking forward to the expansion.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Ah well if the PC version doesn't get the DLC than that doesn't matter, it will be better anyway. Haha, feel the wrath of my flame attack. Though I would suspect that GTA 4 for the PC would get the extra missions as Microsoft did pay for exclusive DLC and they do own Windows.

hellthins

Feb 18, 2008
Well, I guess I don't feel so bad I kept it around now when I went and sold off Rock Band. I just hope it's decent, and that they remember that GTA hasn't exactly been made popular by grim dark grim darkness, at least in the gameplay.

EzraPound

Jan 26, 2008
Yes, obviously a 30+ hour set of story missions is so short it must be an expansion especially when The main character has *gasp* character development! Shocking, I know, but it was an expansion obviously.
I meant that the gameplay is worse than the earlier GTAs (handling relationships is cumbersome; there are alot of regressions from San Andreas; the missions are less inventive), and, where it succeeds, is entirely derivative of its progenitors (thusly like an expansion pack). Also, the city is yuck.

jezz8me

Mar 27, 2008
If this expansion added extra map maybe even some countryside than it would be good but it will nto effect me because i play GTA4 on a PS3

Hey Joe

Dec 23, 2007
TGLT said:
Well, I guess I don't feel so bad I kept it around now when I went and sold off Rock Band. I just hope it's decent, and that they remember that GTA hasn't exactly been made popular by grim dark grim darkness, at least in the gameplay.
Yeah, it's totally not popular. It's not like it's sold a kerjillion copies or anything.

hellthins

Feb 18, 2008
Hey Joe said:
TGLT said:
Yeah, it's totally not popular. It's not like it's sold a kerjillion copies or anything.
What brought GTA to the point where GTA IV sold as well as it did? The hijinks. The honestly insane activities that you could do, the silly minigames and the less than realistic gameplay. GTA was rather arcadey in terms of game play and it relished in it.

OuroborosChoked

Aug 20, 2008
I think TGLT was referring to the series being made popular not from its grittiness, but its cartoonishness (e.g. GTA III, Vice City). It wasn't until San Andreas that they took a left turn down gritty realism alley...

I doubt TGLT was denying that the series has sold well...

Hey Joe

Dec 23, 2007
GTAIV wouldn't have sold as well as it did (and continues to do) if the majority of people were put off by its 'grittiness'. If they were, the majority of gamers would have traded it in on about day two.

It's gritty. It's popular. It will sell DLC like hotcakes.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Hey Joe said:
GTAIV wouldn't have sold as well as it did (and continues to do) if the majority of people were put off by its 'grittiness'. If they were, the majority of gamers would have traded it in on about day two.

I'm just going to point out that trading in games doesn't magically lower the number sold, other then negatively impacting it by offering used games earlier

OuroborosChoked

Aug 20, 2008
Hey Joe said:

I'm more convinced that people were sold on history alone. They liked the previous GTA games, so they got GTA IV. That's why I got GTA IV. I knew nothing about the game before I bought it. And as Altorin said, the sales totals don't include how many people returned the game.

EzraPound

Jan 26, 2008
I'm more convinced that people were sold on history alone. They liked the previous GTA games, so they got GTA IV. That's why I got GTA IV. I knew nothing about the game before I bought it. And as Altorin said, the sales totals don't include how many people returned the game.
Ummm... GTA IV sold a ton of copies; not many were returned, and it roundly received perfect scores from critics. It's admittedly suffered a small backlash from the gaming 'elite', but all's more than well in GTA-land nonetheless.

Mathew952

Feb 14, 2008
I'm looking forward to it. The market seems to be filled perfectly now, with saints row filling the crazy-colorful-funplosion area, and GTA moving toward being more serious, which I also enjoy. So I'm looking forward to spending more time in liberty city. Maybe they'll even add some new side missions. like atm jackings, or bank robberies.