GTA Trilogy is messy

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So Rockstar can't be bothered with making GTA 6 because it would hurt the cash cow that GTA 5 is. So instead they've found time to remaster-ish the PS2 trilogy of GTA games including, 3, Vice City, and San Andreas. They also want $60 for it, which is a bit of a kick in the dick. But hey, if they are charging full price for these things then they are probably pretty good right?

Well not exactly.

Currently the Trilogy is messy on all platforms and is so broken on PC that Rockstar pulled it off their launcher earlier today. While next-gen consoles are playing the games fairly well, the Xbox X, PS4, and Switch are suffering from performance issues and low frame rates in sections of the game that get so bad the games outright crash. And there are graphical bugs all over the place in which showcases that Rockstar just kind of ported these games through some sort of engine upgrade and didn't bother to polish anything out.

Twitter and Reddit are showcases of graphical bugs, poor frame rates, just bad looking textures, and a whole all around mess of a collection.

While i dont mind $60 for 3 very large and very good games, in their current state they are absolutely fucking not worth it.

Do not bother, do not give Rockstar money for this trash. At least not until they patch and fix this shit. But even then releasing a half-assed collection like this is absolutely unacceptable.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
The amount of copium that some of these people are on. I saw one dude on Twitter defending the game's performance issues on PS5, saying that the game ran like crap on PS2, so the jank is just "part of the experience".

For those curious, this screenshot about sums up the state of the "remaster".

FD_HhoRWQAAkOYZ.jpg

Whilst I have no investment in any of these games (or the entire franchise, really), I think the biggest shame is that the original games have been removed from sale, so if you want to play any of these games, your options are the "remaster", original hardware, or piracy.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The amount of copium that some of these people are on. I saw one dude on Twitter defending the game's performance issues on PS5, saying that the game ran like crap on PS2, so the jank is just "part of the experience".
That is some serious denial. Kick that guy in the nuts.

I already know about the bad news and I posted it in the news thread. I am not surprised and Rockstar can screw off as always.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
They should have just done another free Rockstar 'classics' collection. The original collection included GTA, GTA2 and Wild Metal Country.

Hell, even those games needed serious patching to work properly (to the point where I couldn't see the ammo counters in WMC) and that was running natively on my old Windows XP, when the collection was first released.

Rockstar skates by with attitude and art assets, but their code doesn't have half the longevity.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Well get the PS5 and Xbox Series X versions then.

And I heard the PC version is removed because of dataminers finding more licensend songs that were hidden, and personal dev notes in the game's code that is very dox-y

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Implying the former looks better...
Which is the former? I really can’t tell because both have blurry AF textures.

Also waiting for the day people stop supporting umpteen GTA re-releases and GTAO so Rockstar is finally forced to focus on actual new game sales again.

Also, where the hell is the Red Dead Remaster/make love, Rockstar?

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Which is the former? I really can’t tell because both have blurry AF textures.

Also waiting for the day people stop supporting umpteen GTA re-releases and GTAO so Rockstar is finally forced to focus on actual new game sales again.

Also, where the hell is the Red Dead Remaster/make love, Rockstar?
Pray that and GTA 4 remaster don't suffer the same fate.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
They will.
Thing is they trusted a mobile team to do this. And if there's a pattern in this situation.

Warcraft 3 Reforged shat the bed, so Blizz fired the dev team and trusted Diablo 2 Remastered with Vicarious Visions, and the latter proved at least to be a better remaster then Warcraft 3 Reforged was.

Now whether samething will happen with Rockstar is the big question.

Alienware

Elite Member
Apr 10, 2020
Country
Canada
I want to get this for PS5 during the holidays.

I hope, no wait I pray that all the issues will be fixed by then. 🙏

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I am so glad my big bro managed to keep all of his PS2 GTA games. He can play those anytime he wants. I should tell him to get an HDMI converter.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Well get the PS5 and Xbox Series X versions then.
Just buy the remaster on a console nobody can find in stock, 4Head.
1636824784217.png

I find it amazing that even current gen consoles can't handle a simple remaster of a PS2 era game. But I also don't find it surprising considering Rockstar can't be bothered to do shit that'd require even a little bit of effort. "Who needs effort when you have money!"

Holy shit, Rockstar must be a studio where everyone comes to work and immediately does a line of cocaine. Surely there isn't anyone actually doing any work at teh studio right?
They probably just come in to check and make sure the GTA Online servers are still running, then the rest is just faffing around til their shift ends

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I find it amazing that even current gen consoles can't handle a simple remaster of a PS2 era game.
It has nothing to do with the console's themselves. It has to do with the shitty programming and optimization of the remasters. You can only brute force your performance so much, but at some point if the code doesn't work, it doesn't matter how strong your crap is.

Reactions: Elvis Starburst

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
Haven’t bought anything from them since GTA V back two gens ago. I always found their games waaaay overrated. They have been striving for realism lately and I honestly don’t find it appealing.

Reactions: BrawlMan