GTA V $ 2,147,483,647 Glitch Could Wipe Your Cash Away

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
one of my coworkers was telling me about how he made huge money off the stock market by sabotaging businesses competing with the one he owned stock in, I'll have to see if he knows there is a limit to the amount of money you can get

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
If it wasn't expected for the player to generate vast sums of money to buy property in the game I don't think I would be as perplexed to why this was able to slip by Q&A.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Why are people surprised? 2,147,483,647 is the highest you can go with a signed integer.
Hell they could almost try to make that a selling point for the next-gen version of GTAV "Now with support for a maximum amount of 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 $" since that's how high you can go with 64bit.

People will always say "oh why didn't they think of that", but did you know that a lot of computer clocks and systems will have major problems when time hits 19 January 2038 because of the exact same problem?

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
As funny as this, code mistakes like this happen way too often, even rocket scientists make variable mistakes. Seems to me they recycled code from the previous game that didn't accommodate the possibility of such high earnings. I'd go crazy its not as if it would increase the game size considerably, but then they would have to work and write new code.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Not too surprising considering GTA Online, you that thing they hyped up before launch, isn't working since they didn't anticipate a large number of people trying to get online.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
This is a pretty weird over sight.

In most games with money (including previous GTA's) Dev's put in a lock max amount aka. you cannot go over a certain amount of money which is under the true maximum to stop glitching.

I guess they just forgot this time?

I'd think it's easy to fix though, they just need to add a limit at 2 billion.

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
I remember once playing an ancient gridiron game on C64 and winning 101-3. However, the in-game scoreboard did a wraparound at 100 and the game told me I had lost 3-1. Quite an achievement considering that 1 is an impossible score in that sport! That sort of thing was a fact of life back then, I'm frankly amazed that it's still happening though. Seems like a predictable situation.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
I just want to know what they did with the in-game market to accumulate THAT much money on a seemingly random market (aside from a few known occurrences in missions, but not enough to make THAT much money).

Mar 5, 2011
Pixelspeech said:
shameduser said:
You'd think that QA would have caught that one.
Wouldn't that depend on how rigorous it's been? Perhaps they simply assumed nobody would accumulate such a high amount of money or misjudged what the maximum was.
Well, I'd assume someone who works in QA would be familiar with similar bugs in other games and it's not unreasonable to assume that players could accumulate that much money. Maybe it was found late in development and a work around wasn't feasible so close to launch.

I was thinking about how you would get around this and maybe have a second variable that holds all money over the limit but then displaying the amount wouldn't be easy sense you can't just add the two together and display that. I'm not super familiar with programing so it could be really easy.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Remember when we were kids and they'd just cap the maximum dollar amount somewhere? Those were good days.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Of course, 2 billion is a pretty insane amount of money to have in the single player, given that most people will finish the game with maybe $50 million for each character, tops.

That said, holy hell, you'd think that developers would start to test this kind of stuff, and at least put a pure limit on the amount of cash available instead of letting it roll over.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I keep telling people that cookie clikcer [https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Forteil.dashnet.org%2Fcookieclicker%2F&ei=lfpKUvCWHPKgyAH-_YCADQ&usg=AFQjCNGg5L6LX4KNcMQQBn-_0C5CirMvmg&sig2=_Dp_UQxVX6Zb14-Nfygyaw&bvm=bv.53371865,d.aWc] is better.

Now you'll believe me.

It can handle trillions.

Millions of trillions.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
thiosk said:
I keep telling people that cookie clikcer [https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Forteil.dashnet.org%2Fcookieclicker%2F&ei=lfpKUvCWHPKgyAH-_YCADQ&usg=AFQjCNGg5L6LX4KNcMQQBn-_0C5CirMvmg&sig2=_Dp_UQxVX6Zb14-Nfygyaw&bvm=bv.53371865,d.aWc] is better.

Now you'll believe me.

It can handle trillions.

Millions of trillions.
But can it handle billions of quadrillions? THAT'S the real question, you see.

Anyway, what do you do when you have -2 billion? Kinda seems like it's just time to hang it up at that point. You know? That's pretty much it. Game over, man. Game over.

Captcha: I love deadliness... huh.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
NLS said:
Why are people surprised? 2,147,483,647 is the highest you can go with a signed integer.
Hell they could almost try to make that a selling point for the next-gen version of GTAV "Now with support for a maximum amount of 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 $" since that's how high you can go with 64bit.

People will always say "oh why didn't they think of that", but did you know that a lot of computer clocks and systems will have major problems when time hits 19 January 2038 because of the exact same problem?
I'm no expert in binary department...but why will computer clocks and systems have major problems o_O it's just a number, 19/01/2038...

Brain. Hurts.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
BarbaricGoose said:
thiosk said:

Now you'll believe me.

It can handle trillions.

Millions of trillions.
But can it handle billions of quadrillions? THAT'S the real question, you see.

Anyway, what do you do when you have -2 billion? Kinda seems like it's just time to hang it up at that point. You know? That's pretty much it. Game over, man. Game over.

Captcha: I love deadliness... huh.
Yes.

Theres even... quintillions.
And more.

captcha: until next time

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
It would a shame if one of your real life problems is paying off your enormous student loan debt (like me).
You slot in GTAV with the hopes of feeling for a moment what it is like to be the richest human being... Only to find you are massively in debt in GTA,
too.
Major bummer.