GTA V Gets Graphical Downgrade in San Andreas Engine

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
GTA V Gets Graphical Downgrade in San Andreas Engine

A fan's recreation of a recent Grand Theft Auto V trailer shows what it might have looked like in 2004.

Video games have come a long way in ten years. If you need proof, look no further than this fan creation of the most recent Grand Theft Auto V [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123627-Grand-Theft-Auto-V-Trailer-Tells-a-Three-For-One-Tale] trailer, which puts Rockstar's much-anticipated game in the San Andreas engine. Suddenly, the beautiful Vinewood is full of blocky people and ugly textures; did we really think this looked good in the last-gen era?

The fan video only captures the Michael-centric part of the GTA V trailer Rockstar released a few days ago, but this segment is pretty much recreated shot for shot, giving us an idea of what would have been impossible ten years ago. On top of the obvious graphical differences, there are a bunch of little discrepancies--where did the yoga mat go? And yet, in 2004, San Andreas was met with overwhelmingly positive reception from critics and fans alike. My, how things have changed.

With video game visuals changing so much in the last decade, it's hard to imagine what our favorite franchises will look like in another ten years. Of course, gameplay is typically more important than visuals alone, but it doesn't hurt to have something pretty to look at while you're enjoying a great game.

Source: NDStudio69 [https://www.youtube.com/user/NDstudio69?feature=watch]

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
I love the fact that this was done. I for one still love playing III, Vice City and San Andreas. While the graphics aren't the best, its the game that was fun.

I enjoyed GTA IV but it wasn't the amazing experience that any of the previous gen games were. I hope that they have GTA V packed with goodness, and not just a pretty cover.

P.S.

The Final Fantasy series is guilty of going from not the prettiest game with great gameplay to a pretty game that's also pretty shitty. That's not working out too well for them either.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Aww... after reading that title I was expecting something like Fifa 13 that got released on the PS2 and the PS3 at the same time...

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Sarah LeBoeuf said:
Suddenly, the beautiful Vinewood is full of blocky people and ugly textures; did we really think this looked good in the last-gen era?
No. San Andreas was hideous at release, it was lauded for it's gameplay; not it's graphics.

It looked even worse than it's predecessors, but I have an inkling this was due to it's size.

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
Nope, SA was ugly at release, there are many PS2 era games that looked pretty fantastic. This was not one of them. Though, we forgave them because it was so fucking awesome.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
You're missing out that San Andreas had fully animated cutscenes, this is a quickly thrown together puppet job.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Heck, I'd still buy it even if it was really made in SA engine with SA graphics. I love San Andreas. I am fairly sure that SA is the game I spent the most time playing. I still play the storyline from time to time. It's that good.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
I don't think anyone cared because the gameplay was awesome.

And the main villain was voiced by Samuel L. Jackson. You could get me excited about a lego brick voiced by Samuel L. Jackson.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Shamanic Rhythm said:
I don't think anyone cared because the gameplay was awesome.

And the main villain was voiced by Samuel L. Jackson. You could get me excited about a lego brick voiced by Samuel L. Jackson.
Lego Pulp Fiction. You in?

M920CAIN

May 24, 2011
When GTA SA first came out a lot of computers had trouble running it at full graphics. Now, the game may seem like a joke, but back then it was pretty much state of the art.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Sarah LeBoeuf said:
Suddenly, the beautiful Vinewood is full of blocky people and ugly textures; did we really think this looked good in the last-gen era?
San Andreas is still one of the best games out there that tens of thousand people still play it online via a mod their created themselves because rockstar couldnt.
And 10 years ago we didnt care how the game looked becasue we still cared for the gameplay and not who can make explosion with more moving parts.

Jodan

Mar 18, 2009
oh god after reading that hedline i figured that rockstar downgraded their engine for some reason to a 10 year old one.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
even in the earlier days hot of the heels of the first trailer i don't ever recall a point at which I looked at San Andreas and said man the graphics look amazing...the carefully chosen footage within the trailer both of cut-scenes and game play made me want to play. Still though it is amazing to look back at how far graphics have come....But i already had this wonderful realization dawn on me when I played Halo: CE Anniversary and watched classic cut-scenes twice, once in the orignal format and then again with the graphical updated allowed by the Xbox360