GTA V Trailer Recreated In San Andreas Engine

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
GTA V Trailer Recreated In San Andreas Engine

New school meets old school in this fan-crafted recreation of the recent Grand Theft Auto V trailer, with surprisingly hilarious results.

Really, there are two ways to view this clip, created by Grand Theft Auto fan "DasMatze." You can take it as technological comparison, contrasting the gaming aesthetics of 2004's Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas with those seen in the upcoming Grand Theft Auto V.

Or you can see it as I do: A reminder of how crucial subtle action and movements are to telling a good story.

Not to knock the painstaking effort that obviously went into remaking the GTA V trailer, but there are certain moments that simply don't translate from the newer engine to its predecessor. Specifically that bit where the gentleman is staring out a window at the faux Los Angeles skyline, then turns his head away. In the new trailer, it's a believably minute action, yet in the old engine, it's a series of jerky twists more akin to a mannequin being jostled into place than an actual person turning to face an unseen viewer.

And then of course, there's that forklift.

Part of me knows that this comparison should have me excited for GTA V, but another part of me (which was forged entirely in my early-90s adolescence) is left mourning for the upcoming game's likely dearth of L7 and Dr. Dre tracks. Obviously Grand Theft Auto V will look phenomenal, and Rockstar has yet to let me down when it comes to open-world sandbox games, but I just don't know if this new urban crime simulator can offer the same thrill that San Andreas did via a combination of grunge-era nostalgia and shooting jerks from the (non-existent) safety of a hovering jetpack.

Pro tip: Don't ever get old kids. It's all sadness, regret and a depressing lack of Glenn Danzig.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
The guy turning made me chuckle, as I know all too well the fun of trying to move those guys subtly.
Not to knock the painstaking effort that obviously went into remaking the GTA V trailer,
Not to mention the speed that this came out in. The guy must have had the idea to do this the second the trailer was released.

San Andreas has come a long way in 15 years.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I see it as a hilarious homage to both San Andreas and the upcoming V. This is the second time I've seen you over analyze a fantastic fan-made video and turn it into pure cynicism.

Why are you so pessimistic, man? I wouldn't want to be a kid again for anything other than to put some people in their place.

Whatever happened to you, I feel bad for you, dude.

But when it leaks out into your article writing it takes away from the article.

Seriously, man. Lighten up.

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
The part with the forklift killed me.

Oh man,I remember seeing San Andreas screenshots and trailers and thinking that it was beatiful.
Now look where it is.
Time passes by fast...which is good,because the wait for Skyrim is torturing me.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
ZeroMachine said:
I see it as a hilarious homage to both San Andreas and the upcoming V. This is the second time I've seen you over analyze a fantastic fan-made video and turn it into pure cynicism.

Why are you so pessimistic, man? I wouldn't want to be a kid again for anything other than to put some people in their place.

I love that the internet just said I'm too cynical.

I apologize if it wasn't evident, but yeah, that was a joke. Actually, if anything it was just a weak segue into that Glenn Danzig reference.

Femaref

May 4, 2008
I didn't realize San Andreas looked that old. Really looking forward to (a hopefully better optimized PC-Version of) GTA V.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
ZeroMachine said:

I love that the internet just said I'm too cynical.

I apologize if it wasn't evident, but yeah, that was a joke. Actually, if anything it was just a weak segue into that Glenn Danzig reference.
I'm not "the internet". Don't speak to me like I'm a statistic.

And trust me, it doesn't come off as a joke after the last cynical thing you said in regards to that Portal video.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
ZeroMachine said:

And trust me, it doesn't come off as a joke after the last cynical thing you said in regards to that Portal video.
I don't exactly remember what I typed, but I'm going to assume that was tongue-in-cheek as well. This is what I get for vagueries.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
ZeroMachine said:

I don't exactly remember what I typed, but I'm going to assume that was tongue-in-cheek as well. This is what I get for vagueries.
Maybe it's just because I've never seen "cynical comments" as "witty tongue-in-cheek". A matter of vastly different senses of humor.

Plus, I mean, come on, how well does sarcasm translate over text? I wasn't the only one that pointed out how unprofessional it looked. Go check it out if you want.

Either way, I meant no offense. It's just that if you were serious about those comments, it's pretty damn embarrassing on a professional level, because it felt like you were letting your personal issues leak out into your work. Obviously not true now, so hey, cool.