GTA Vice City is so bloody annoying and tedious!

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
The city has a real nice atmosphere and tone, the radio stations are great, and the way the light turns everything shades of orange at sunset is just so pretty!

But those freaking missions! It's not bad in the early game, but later on they get almost unfairly hard. Like this one where you need to race a guy and you get a slower car and the cops are chasing after you but not him. Like, what the heck! The only way I found I can stand a chance is to place a faster car somewhere along the road and hope he crashes into it and gives me enough time to switch over and then hope I can make it through the rest of the race without being blindsided by a cop and blown up! Not only is it unfairly hard but you need to sit through 6 loading screens if you want to try again right away. First it loads after you die, then you get in the cab that takes you back to the mission and it loads, you go into the building that the mission is in and it loads, then it loads the first cutscene which I skip, then it loads the second cutscene that I skip, THEN it loads the race. Frick! I think I've spent around 2 hours trying, but I haven't managed to beat it.

That race isn't even the worst of it, because you can usually find a fast car to rig things with pretty quick, but in the obscenely hard combat missions where you get shot to pieces in seconds you need to drive all over town collecting guns, body armor, and getting back to the mission every time you lose! This game was in serious need of a retry mission option.

The cops just suck too! They suicide bomb your car and there just isn't any way to consistently avoid them all, especially the FBI. There was another mission where I had to break a guy out of jail and lose the cops, and the only way I found to do it was to park a car in the pay and spray and drive a freaking tank to the mission. Even then I had to try like 10 times because the suiciding FBI agents would sometimes slow me down enough that a random patrolling officer would be able to run over and yank the door open and bust me before I could build up enough speed.

And the camera sucks!

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
All valid complaints, also the whole drowning if you fell in water was utter buuuullshit. You also should've mentioned losing all your guns if you got busted which was expensive to replace, as well as the total lack of a cover system. At least the early part of the game is fun.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Yeah, Vice City really hasn't aged well and I remember a number of those things feeling like shitty design at the time. That race, in particular, was always bullshit but it is followed by one of the game's better missions.

The shooting also felt pretty crappy at the time, too. I've got nothing against lock-on but the total lack of mobility options really makes a lot of the gunfights feel really sloppy. I'm actually not sure why I liked it beyond the ability to piss about, come to think of it. The game has a really cool atmosphere I guess and the city is really fun to just drive around and explore, even if it is quite small.

Honestly, with the whole losing your guns thing... just cheat. It's bullshit that you lose your whole arsenal with every death and it's not like there are achievements to be locked out of so just give yourself all the guns when you die in the later stages. In fact, 'cause the game is at its most fun when you're blowing shit to fuck for no reason, just cheat anyway. The most fun I ever had in PS2 GTA was activating pedestrians riot and pedestrians have guns and just trying to survive the carnage.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
ScrabbitRabbit said:
Yeah, Vice City really hasn't aged well and I remember a number of those things feeling like shitty design at the time. That race, in particular, was always bullshit but it is followed by one of the game's better missions.

The shooting also felt pretty crappy at the time, too. I've got nothing against lock-on but the total lack of mobility options really makes a lot of the gunfights feel really sloppy. I'm actually not sure why I liked it beyond the ability to piss about, come to think of it. The game has a really cool atmosphere I guess and the city is really fun to just drive around and explore, even if it is quite small.

Honestly, with the whole losing your guns thing... just cheat. It's bullshit that you lose your whole arsenal with every death and it's not like there are achievements to be locked out of so just give yourself all the guns when you die in the later stages. In fact, 'cause the game is at its most fun when you're blowing shit to fuck for no reason, just cheat anyway. The most fun I ever had in PS2 GTA was activating pedestrians riot and pedestrians have guns and just trying to survive the carnage.
Even all these years later I still remember some of the old cheats and the weapons cheats luckily enough are still in my brain. To think there was a time before GTA IV when playing a GTA game legitimately was so brutal.

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
I am kind of afraid to go back and replay the game, I have such fond memories of it, but the nostalgia goggles are firmly on, I know it's probably a lot less fun than I remembered. I kinda wish they'd make a modern GTA game with a similar setting like Miami, or with a retro 80's neon kick to it... I doubt they'd do exactly the same setting as Vice City, but going close would be nice, I mean I love San Andreas and Liberty City but we've seen enough New York and L.A. style cities in open world sandboxes, we need some more of that tropical beach flair.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
aozgolo said:
I am kind of afraid to go back and replay the game, I have such fond memories of it, but the nostalgia goggles are firmly on, I know it's probably a lot less fun than I remembered. I kinda wish they'd make a modern GTA game with a similar setting like Miami, or with a retro 80's neon kick to it... I doubt they'd do exactly the same setting as Vice City, but going close would be nice, I mean I love San Andreas and Liberty City but we've seen enough New York and L.A. style cities in open world sandboxes, we need some more of that tropical beach flair.
I think they could redo Vice City quite well with a larger map. Add in the Everglades analog and small islands to the south, and it gets a nice change of scenery. Would be pretty awesome for me, since I grew up in South Florida. To me, what'd be really neat is if they went and made it like a flashback/modern sequence where there's two versions of the map, one from the 80s and one for today. But hey, it probably wouldn't happen like that.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
That driving mission was a harsh mistress, who wore a 14 inch strap-on.

I really hated the missions where you were drugged/mind controlled by that Haitian woman.

aozgolo said:
we need some more of that tropical beach flair.
Given Rockstar's love of parody/sardonic humour, I would suggest Southern California, near the border. The anti-Trump jokes would write themselves.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
What, no love for the radio controlled helicopter mission with the little bombs? That was obscenely difficult to win because of the time limit and the fact the little RC helicopter controlled like shit?

I played this game a long time ago, but I'm kind of afraid to play it again. I imagine it hasn't aged well, especially in the light of newer GTA games and the Saints Row series in particular.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
I remember playing and completing Vice City like 6 times back in the day. I can't really remember it being being so hard though, other than a couple of the big shootout missions. And how do you not have enough money to just re-buy all your guns and armour when you die? Didn't you get like millions of dollars in that game and not much else to spend it on? Just go to an Amunation and spam buy on everything. Not that you needed anything more than the Python most of the time anyway...

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
Hawk of Battle said:
I remember playing and completing Vice City like 6 times back in the day. I can't really remember it being being so hard though, other than a couple of the big shootout missions. And how do you not have enough money to just re-buy all your guns and armour when you die? Didn't you get like millions of dollars in that game and not much else to spend it on? Just go to an Amunation and spam buy on everything. Not that you needed anything more than the Python most of the time anyway...
You do get a lot of money later in the game, but there's a decent amount to spend it on with Property Assets and Safe Houses, granted you play much beyond the main story and you'll end up with all of those plus several million bankrolled. I think that's why later games added so many expensive properties to buy just to give you something to keep grinding that sandbox for.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
aozgolo said:
Ever tried Scarface: The World is Yours?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Yeah I tried getting into Vice City a year or 2/3 ago because of my love for the 80's aesthetic, but goddamn it did not age well. The moment I saw cops walking with the same hoe-strut as prostitutes I guffawed and checked out. Every GTA game kind of subtly improves on the previous one, you really notice that when you back to the early 3D ones.
Dalisclock said:
What, no love for the radio controlled helicopter mission with the little bombs? That was obscenely difficult to win because of the time limit and the fact the little RC helicopter controlled like shit?
Like that annoying as fuck San Andreas RC mission, eh? Man I'm glad I didn't get that far in Vice City then.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
May the gods have mercy on your soul if you play GTA 3. One word: No Map.

Anyway San Andreas is the only good one of the original PS2 trilogy that is worth playing.

Wolf Hagen

Jul 28, 2010
I still remember Vice City oddly favorably, but now thinking back, yeah, some missions clearly where keyboard biting infuriating and looking back, not really having a use to save cars (and that you could only loose cop attention via paintjob) would prolly spank my ass hard nowadays. And not to mention: No in Mission checkpoints. But then again, exept for that f****** Limo side mission they where not too long.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Dalisclock said:

I played this game a long time ago, but I'm kind of afraid to play it again. I imagine it hasn't aged well, especially in the light of newer GTA games and the Saints Row series in particular.
Actually I don't think that mission is objectively hard. I think it just seems hard because it's usually the first time you get to fly a helicopter. It takes a lot of time to figure out but you can get the hang of it.

I too spent a lot of time trying to beat that mission the first time, but on later playthroughs I've beaten it in 1-2 tries.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
May the gods have mercy on your soul if you play GTA 3. One word: No Map.
No need for a map in GTA 3. It is split into three small islands, and you can easily learn the layout of each island as you progress.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Anyway San Andreas is the only good one of the original PS2 trilogy that is worth playing.
I'd have to disagree there. I tried playing through San Andreas a few years ago, but I just couldn't do it. It had aged poorly in my eyes, feeling clunky as hell during combat especially. Really sucks since I had so much fun with it back in ?04-?05. Storywise I'm not complaining, and the radio stations are still excellent, but the gameplay just don't work for me any longer. Also, the visuals are horribly dated.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Cheats.

I havn't played it in years, but all the cheats are etched into my mind. Health, armor, weapons, and lower wanted level were the only reasons I was ever able to beat it. I think San Andreas was the first time I completed a GTA without cheats and that one really tried my patience.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
I'm with you OP. It's now impossible for me to go back to any of the GTA's pre IV to be honest for just some of those reasons (phone/mobile versions aside). That driving mission was a ***** for me too. I also had to park a fast car along the racing strip pre-mission(preferably a comet), roll out of the driver seat at high speed, and hop into the comet to beat that mess. ugh. Another stand out mission is Big'N'Veiny from GTA III. It's a timed collect-a-thon that forces you to use a van that handles like it were driving on the moon during a quake.

I can still feel the heat from the rage those missions gave me.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
aozgolo said:
I am kind of afraid to go back and replay the game, I have such fond memories of it, but the nostalgia goggles are firmly on, I know it's probably a lot less fun than I remembered.
Yeah. I'm with you. I remember enjoying the hell out of Vice City back in the day. But I was also taking regular business trips to Miami. So the real world definitely colored my appreciation for the digital one.

From a gameplay standpoint, it's probably a lot more of a slog than I remember.

Sometimes the nostalgia goggles should just stay on...