GTA Vice City is so bloody annoying and tedious!

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
GTA's mission / checkpoint design has always been bad. How this series continues to get stellar reviews - I'll never know?

Throw in some god awful controls and you have a shit sandwich that the critics just can't seem to get enough of.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Trucken said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Anyway San Andreas is the only good one of the original PS2 trilogy that is worth playing.
I'd have to disagree there. I tried playing through San Andreas a few years ago, but I just couldn't do it. It had aged poorly in my eyes, feeling clunky as hell during combat especially. Really sucks since I had so much fun with it back in ?04-?05. Storywise I'm not complaining, and the radio stations are still excellent, but the gameplay just don't work for me any longer. Also, the visuals are horribly dated.
Let's be fair here, San Andreas was ugly as fuck for its time, too. Worse looking than its predecessors, even. We just let it get away with it 'cause not many games had worlds that big and interactive, especially not on PS2. But tons of 2004 games look nearly a generation ahead of San Andreas.

Hawk of Battle said:
I remember playing and completing Vice City like 6 times back in the day. I can't really remember it being being so hard though, other than a couple of the big shootout missions. And how do you not have enough money to just re-buy all your guns and armour when you die? Didn't you get like millions of dollars in that game and not much else to spend it on? Just go to an Amunation and spam buy on everything. Not that you needed anything more than the Python most of the time anyway...
You get plenty of money, yeah, it's just tedious having to go to the store, then go to the mission.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Back when CTA3 first came out, I played about 10 hrs. I've never played a GTA since. After seeing the sales of GTAV, I'm quite surprise anyone dislikes the old ones. It maybe just their aging. I didn't think it was good in the first place. And it lost all the fun of the first two.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
ScrabbitRabbit said:
You get plenty of money, yeah, it's just tedious having to go to the store, then go to the mission.
There are a lot of gun/armor spawns around. You can also run over gang members and pick up pistol/submachine guns. Sometimes you can open a police car and get a shotgun. Or you can reload saves.

I hardly ever visit Ammu-nation.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Trucken said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Anyway San Andreas is the only good one of the original PS2 trilogy that is worth playing.
I'd have to disagree there. I tried playing through San Andreas a few years ago, but I just couldn't do it. It had aged poorly in my eyes, feeling clunky as hell during combat especially. Really sucks since I had so much fun with it back in ?04-?05. Storywise I'm not complaining, and the radio stations are still excellent, but the gameplay just don't work for me any longer. Also, the visuals are horribly dated.
And GTA 4?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Guilion said:
Hahahahahaha I know exactly the missions that you are talking about. You are trying to do the bank heist aren't you?
Those are indeed some of the most difficult missions in the game and you will have to think outside the box in order to complete them.

Also if you think that's hard wait until you get to the actual bank heist or this one mission where you have to steal a tank (How did the mission with the mini RC chopper go btw?)

Edit: I remember the missions related to the bike gang and Love Fist being an absolute ***** too, so good luck with those.
I actually picked up an old save from several years ago so I don't remember all the details anymore. I don't really remember the RC chopper missions. Looking them up on youtube, I vaguely remember, but they don't stick out in my mind as being ridiculously hard. The only other mission that I remember as being stupidly difficult was the mission Naval Engagement for the Cubans. That was the one that made me abandon the game last time, and I haven't spent too much time on it since.

I did the Love Fist and bike gang missions a while ago and didn't have too much trouble. Well except for the one where you need to fill the chaos meter, but once I got a hold of a tank that one was a piece of cake!

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
Yeah, your experiences are pretty much why I always just spammed cheats in the game and never really played the game for the sake of progress. It was always way more fun causing hell in my flying tank as I zip around the city in the state of revolt thanks to the "give pedestrians weapons" cheat. Wasn't until I played GTA4 that I was so bored with their selection of cheats that I actually beat a GTA.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
And GTA 4?
PC port's fucking awful and I'm not digging up my 360 just to play that game.

It is my arrogant opinion that unless you're playing GTA5 or GTA4 on the consoles, you're just better off playing Saints Row 2 in the end. I think it does the old GTAs much better than they do themselves. Although then again, I heard the PC port for SR2 sucked ass as well.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Arnoxthe1 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
And GTA 4?

It is my arrogant opinion that unless you're playing GTA5 or GTA4 on the consoles, you're just better off playing Saints Row 2 in the end. I think it does the old GTAs much better than they do themselves. Although then again, I heard the PC port for SR2 sucked ass as well.
Tried Saints Row 2....eh

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Tried Saints Row 2....eh
What didn't you like about it? And did you ever see the huge-ass cheat list it has? I think it literally has more native-coded cheats in it than any other game.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Bad Jim said:
ScrabbitRabbit said:
There are a lot of gun/armor spawns around. You can also run over gang members and pick up pistol/submachine guns. Sometimes you can open a police car and get a shotgun. Or you can reload saves.

I hardly ever visit Ammu-nation.
You can but none of those options really saves a whole lot of time compared to just buying them. It's still pretty tedious.

I probably sound like I hate Vice City or PS2 GTA in general but I've been playing it a little bit recently and it is still fun. It just has a lot of frustrating elements and it's way more fun to just activate the cheats and make things explode.

Arnoxthe1 said:
Although then again, I heard the PC port for SR2 sucked ass as well.
Oh god yeah, the SR2 port is something else.

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
And GTA 4?

I can't really comment on GTAIV on PC as I barely played the game, it just never hooked me, but GTA:V runs great on PC, at least for me, I've never had a crash, a bug, a control issue, and the game looks amazing, definitely a much better experience than I had playing it on PS3. I am playing with a XBOX 360 Wired Controller though, would not recommend playing the game with Keyboard and Mouse.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
VC was probably my favorite. I just liked the city a little more and it was more straightforward without all the distracting fluff of later entries (dating and territorial stuff in SA, freaking ROMAN and all the stupid friendship crap in IV, and the useless multiplayer junk in V.) Yes, it was really the last great GTA. Of course none of them have inspired me to play them through more than once. I don't remember it being particularly difficult. Nothing in the GTA 3rd person era is anything like the difficulty of the top down first 2 GTA games, and I beat those easily enough.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Arnoxthe1 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Tried Saints Row 2....eh
What didn't you like about it? And did you ever see the huge-ass cheat list it has? I think it literally has more native-coded cheats in it than any other game.
I don't know, I tried playing through the beginning and just could not get into it.

People overrate this game saying its better than GTA 4+Expansions and GTA 5 and I am like this is it?

Mabye I have to try again to see if it derserves all the hullabaloo.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Bad Jim said:
Dalisclock said:
What, no love for the radio controlled helicopter mission with the little bombs? That was obscenely difficult to win because of the time limit and the fact the little RC helicopter controlled like shit?

I played this game a long time ago, but I'm kind of afraid to play it again. I imagine it hasn't aged well, especially in the light of newer GTA games and the Saints Row series in particular.
Actually I don't think that mission is objectively hard. I think it just seems hard because it's usually the first time you get to fly a helicopter. It takes a lot of time to figure out but you can get the hang of it.

I too spent a lot of time trying to beat that mission the first time, but on later playthroughs I've beaten it in 1-2 tries.
I'm pretty sure flying a real helicopter in that game was easier then the RC one. OTOH, you weren't required to fly a real one through a fucking building.

It might be easier if I played it today again. I just really don't have any urge to go back to GTA. I didn't even finish San Andreas because it annoyed me too much with it's bullshit(The dating game, the "Help, our territory is under attack!" thing, etc) and I've discovered Saints Row since then.

GTA IV? "Nico it's your Cousin! Why don't you take me bowling?" Fuck off, Roman. Seriously.

I'm tempted to play V at times, but I've still got a sour taste in my mouth from the time it went on Steam sale and they raised the price the exact same time, so it went from $60 to $60 on a 25% discount because they raised the price to $80 to compensate.

If it ever drops down to $20 or less, I might buy V. Maybe.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
ScrabbitRabbit said:
Trucken said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Let's be fair here, San Andreas was ugly as fuck for its time, too. Worse looking than its predecessors, even. We just let it get away with it 'cause not many games had worlds that big and interactive, especially not on PS2. But tons of 2004 games look nearly a generation ahead of San Andreas.
Maybe it was, I honestly don't remember. I remember having nothing against the graphics back then, but now they feel really old. Also, the world doesn't feel alive like it started doing in GTA IV. Look, I'm not trying to take a total dump on San Andreas, I loved it back then and it was pretty groundbreaking with a huge open world with a ton of stuff to do in it. But now I just can't get into it again. Which really sucks, 'cause I'd love to play it again and have the same experience as I had back then.

Samtemdo8 said:
And GTA 4?
GTA IV still works for me, especially The Lost and Damned expansion. Can still have a great time with that game.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Trucken said:
ScrabbitRabbit said:
Trucken said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Maybe it was, I honestly don't remember. I remember having nothing against the graphics back then, but now they feel really old. Also, the world doesn't feel alive like it started doing in GTA IV. Look, I'm not trying to take a total dump on San Andreas, I loved it back then and it was pretty groundbreaking with a huge open world with a ton of stuff to do in it. But now I just can't get into it again. Which really sucks, 'cause I'd love to play it again and have the same experience as I had back then.

Samtemdo8 said:
And GTA 4?
GTA IV still works for me, especially The Lost and Damned expansion. Can still have a great time with that game.
Finally, lets just say I think people are too hard on that game because well to me it was my first GTA game and I was blown away by it, still blown away now.

But I get the criticism of how it feels like a step down from what San Andreas introduced, that game gave us 3 cities and massive countryside, and a ton of vehicles, GTA 4 we are stuck in an Island City surrounded by water.

But to this day I think GTA 4 has the best Cover Systerm Third Person Shooting combat if only because of how brutal it actually is shooting an NPC, because they actually physically react to getting shot, you shoot them in the leg, the stumble and reach their leg in pain for example. And I really like to play around with the physics engine of GTA 4.