Guacamelee vs Axiom Verge

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I want a new Metroidvania for PS4. I heard these two are up there with the best ones. Which out of the 2 would you advise and why?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Well, do you want to shoot things, or punch things? Havent played Axiom Verge, but it looks more like it plays like Metroid, while Guacamelee is a 2D brawler in a 'Metroidvania' style world set up.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Guacamelee is the better one, axiom verge is a bit too limited because it's trying to be so close to meteoroid 1.

Although I honestly didn't find Guacamelee to be that great, it was okay but the exploration and combat were a bit meh. Hollow knight is where you want to be if your looking for a metroidvania, but it's not on PS4 sadly.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Meiam said:
Guacamelee is the better one, axiom verge is a bit too limited because it's trying to be so close to meteoroid 1.

Although I honestly didn't find Guacamelee to be that great, it was okay but the exploration and combat were a bit meh. Hollow knight is where you want to be if your looking for a metroidvania, but it's not on PS4 sadly.
Any other Metroidvania suggestions for PS4 then in that case?

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I marathon'd Guacamelee. I got bored of Axiom Verge and quit around the endgame.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Guacamelee hands down. I'll fight to the death anyone who says otherwise

for other metroidvanias, perhaps Shadow Complex, Dust: An Elysian Tail, Child of Light, Strider, Song of the Deep, Headlander, Salt and Sanctuary, Teslagrad, perhaps Steamworld Dig 2 from what I hear, but I only tried the original game

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
I've played both, myself, and while you can't go wrong with either, Axiom Verge does have some minor design choices that bug me, and I found Guacamelee to be overall a slightly more satisfying game.

I am also going to second the recommendations for Hollow Knight, Shadow Complex, and Dust: An Elysian Tail.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Xsjadoblayde said:

for other metroidvanias, perhaps Shadow Complex, Dust: An Elysian Tail, Child of Light, Strider, Song of the Deep, Headlander, Salt and Sanctuary, Teslagrad, perhaps Steamworld Dig 2 from what I hear, but I only tried the original game
Which is the best out of those other ones?

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Kotaro said:
I've played both, myself, and while you can't go wrong with either, Axiom Verge does have some minor design choices that bug me, and I found Guacamelee to be overall a slightly more satisfying game.

I am also going to second the recommendations for Hollow Knight, Shadow Complex, and Dust: An Elysian Tail.
What bugged you about it specifically?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I couldn't get into Guacamelee but I loved Axiom Verge. I'm not sure what about it didn't grab me, might have just been the wrong game at the wrong time. But if you want the best then Hollow Knight, although Axiom Verge is really close. Shadow Complex is pretty good too, Dust is also quite good.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
The best one by far is Salt&Sanctuary. I believe it's also PS exclusive. Personally didn't really like both Guacamole and Axiom.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
dscross said:
Xsjadoblayde said:

It depends largely on personal preference, but the most commonly appreciated is Shadow Complex, and my fave is Dust: An Elysian Tail, which apparently other people also like a lot, but it's never talked about so it's in a bit of a strange aether where I feel a bit uncertain/self-conscious bringing it up

Salt and Sanctuary is basically 2d Dark Souls and it doesn't pretend to be much else, quality game and fairly easier due to the lacking dimension.
Strider...(or is it Stryder? I may have gotten confused) is crazy responsive ninja metroidvania, fun and over the top.
The others are more niche appeal, a bit artsy or quirky, so am aware they're not going to be as much a draw to some

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
dscross said:
Kotaro said:

What bugged you about it specifically?
Mostly it's the fact that, more than any other Metroidvania I've played, it can get really frustrating trying to figure out where to go next. You've got multiple tools for opening paths, and checking for secret passages is tedious as hell. Metroid relies a lot on destroying walls and stuff to open secret passages, too, but in a Metroid game (well, a good Metroid game), the rooms are designed in a way that your attention is naturally drawn to the most likely spots for a secret passage to be, so you rarely end up needing to check every single tile individually for the one breakable one you need to find to move on to the next part of the game. In Axiom Verge, the rooms do not have nearly the same level of clever design, so I found myself in that situation numerous times, and it completely destroyed the pacing.
Also, but this is a much smaller issue, like 75% of the weapons you can get are so highly situational as to be effectively useless.
And the locations of some secret upgrades are randomized each playthrough, which sounds really cool in theory, but is just annoying in practice.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
dscross said:
Xsjadoblayde said:

Played half of them and I'd say shadow complex, it doesn't do much to differentiate itself but is a solid metroidvania.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
The following may fall in line with the sort of thing you're looking for. But even if they don't, they're fantastic games worth at least a look.

Takes HEAVY inspiration from Metroid in terms of aesthetic, level design, and music. If you love Metroid, you should give it a go.
(it also does a hell of a lot of impressive things, both artistically and technologically)

It's a bit more like Zelda or Ico, but still has a lot of Metroidvania elements to it, including a VERY strong emphasis on exploration.
Being made by the incredibly talented team at Runic, makers of Torchlight, helps quite a bit.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
I'd say Axiom Verge (which I have not yet tried) looks far closer to what I'd enjoy than Guacamelee (which was just average). My understanding is Axiom verge is far more puzzle and exporation focused, plus I like that old pixeley look.

I'm really into Sundered right now which I think is also on the PS4 and am having a lot of fun. It's also a metroidvania with some new twists on the genre: Enemies mob you when they attack, they dont follow set patrols or only attack when you get close. When they baddies arrive they hit you hard, fast and pursue you. The dungeon layout is semi-randomized every time you die so you cannot just memorize the map and lure the baddies into that environmental trap you remember from your last playthrough.

sonyacampbell5454

Jan 14, 2018
gives you a great opportunity to earn 98652$ at your home.If you are some intelligent you makemany more Dollars.I am also earning many more, my relatives wondered to see how i settle my Life in few days thank GOD to you for this...You can also make cash i never tell alie you should check this I am sure you shocked to see this amazing offer...I'm Loving it!!!!

======>>>>> http://www.Help80.Com

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Haven't played Axiom Verge, but I did enjoy Guacamelee! a lot. It does mix a lot of fist fighting, which may or may not be your thing, but the move set is well thought out, with most moves doubling as ways to get around, not just more ways to kill monsters.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Bad Jim said:
Haven't played Axiom Verge, but I did enjoy Guacamelee! a lot. It does mix a lot of fist fighting, which may or may not be your thing, but the move set is well thought out, with most moves doubling as ways to get around, not just more ways to kill monsters.
Well, I do like scrolling beat em ups like Streets of Rage and fighting tournaments like Street Fighter, so if it's fist fighting like that I'm onboard. Wouldn't have expected that to be the main focus of a Metroidvania though...