Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Pitch Brought Chris Pratt To "Tears"

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Hairless Mammoth said:
"joyful tears from reading the script"
Not even that. Joyful tears from hearing the idea. As the article notes, the script itself has only just had its first draft done. Which also makes the claim of no micromanaging rather silly as well - the whole point of the pitch is to cover the broad strokes, so there isn't any micro there to manage at that point. It's only now a script actually exists that there's something for Marvel to start getting picky over.

Lagslayer

Apr 18, 2011
From the FB comments:

"Spoiler alert, Groot will fly into a nuclear missile fired on a small town while telling Hogarth to stay, calling himself Superman and we'll just sob and sob constantly."

So I'm not the only one who thought this.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I loved the first movie and will watch the second one without a doubt but... am I the only one that's wondering what the soundtrack will be this time around?
the music in the first one made the movie for me so I'm really hoping that connection with the music comes back

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
So does this mean that we're finally going to deviations from the script designtron 3000 that seems to write all the Marvel scripts these days. Because that would be fucking great.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Fappy said:
Stupidity said:
Good
Lately we've gotten a bunch of movies that have benefited from a lack of studio micromanaging. Hopefully the trend of paranoid studio execs smothering innovation weakens a bit as a result (also GOTG2 is good).

I have mixed feelings about Starlords dad though, as he's obviously not the same guy as the comics and that whole "Your DNA is super mysterious and ancient" line made me cringe hard (Not how DNA works and why would aliens even have DNA?).

I just really hope they don't make Thanos his dad.... Or any useless demi god character for that matter.
My best guess is that it's Captain Marvel, which honestly wouldn't be that bad if they make him less demi-god and more just some kree dude who was really good at using super hi-tech bracelets.
Did hear an interesting theory that it was Odin, and some degree of biological incompatibility is what gave Starlord's mother the cancer that she dies of at the beginning of the film (Starlord surviving because his Asgaurdian half protects him). The theory further put forward that this was a major part of Odin's opposition to Thor's relationship with a human lady, as he knows what can come of it. It also adds extra tie in with the rest of the MCU. As fan theories go it's fairly coherent.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
So long as they remove the mother theme and make the story something other than The Avengers but-not-as-solid I think it will be an improvement.

But really, why bother hyping the film two years before it even comes out?

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Sseth said:
Guardians of the Galaxy 1 made me cry, in embarrassment at its attempts at humour. That movie sucked and I still do not get the massive praise it gets. Everything the raccoon said was forced, cringe worthy comedy. The whole plot was pretty much point for point the Avengers 1 (ragtag group meets up, disagrees at first, fails its first major encounter because they do not work as a team, they regroup and say some inspirational bullshit, they save the day in a massive battle because "friendship".)

Feel free to berate me for my opinion now but I have to let it out some where.
There's nothing worse than bad comedy, cinema-wise. You have my sympathies for having to endure that. The Marvel movies lean very heavily on comic-book style suspension of disbelief and their comic moments. If one of those two things fails to any significant extent, then the whole thing collapses, as it did for you.

Now, I enjoyed them, but then I enjoyed the Mario Brothers movie too.