Guardians of The Galaxy Director Explains Marvel Movie Infinity Stones

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
tangoprime said:
Angelous Wang said:
I think is a good bet to say that Thanos already has the mind Infinity Stone.

He gave Loki the staff after all (or his minion did), which he prorobly made using the mind Infinity Stone, which is why in Avengers they said it had the same type of energy powering it, but didn't seem to be the same as the Tesseract.
As someone corrected me earlier, and I now recall, HYDRA has it as of the events in Winter Soldier, since SHIELD kept the staff at the end of Avengers. In the reveal at the end of Winter Soldier, the staff is visible at the HYDRA research facility
No, I'm not saying I think Loki's staff was the Infinity Stone itself. Just made from it. (Like the hydra weapons were made from the Tesseract).

I don't think Thanos would ever willingly give away an Infinity Stone, even to get another.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I kind of figured they weren't following the traditional color scheme for what stone was what, but I guessed wrong.
I figured:
Aether: Power
Tesseract: Reality
Purple: Soul (The purple one reacted to organic life and only seemed to destroy organic life)

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Ferisar said:
I really never got how comics survived with the level of power-creep that is present in that type of story-telling, but who knows. DBZ was pretty much that: the show, but it's still popular.
Because the best comics writers know that a lot of people read comics not for the fight scenes but for the drama between characters. The fastest way to break a comics story is to put the focus on powerful beings punching each other instead of powerful beings having to either figure out how to solve a problem or solve personal problems with relationships and the like.

For proof, look at books like X-Men and Spider-Man that are built as much out of character drama as superheroics, with the superheroics mainly serving as a way to get the audience in the door so they can ideally be hooked by the characters. Certainly I'm not reading a comic book because I really don't know whether Peter Parker will be able to defeat the Green Goblin or whether Batman will stop the Joker.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Now that the Tesseract is officially the "Space" gem, I still say we're in in for a twist that screws with the events of Phase 1.

Anyone seemingly killed with its power, namely everyone in the first Cap, were actually transported somewhere and are still alive, including the Red Skull (they can find a work-around with Hugo Weaving not coming back, like make him really old or something), and the Howling Commando and HYDRA soldiers.

Also, the whole "how can anyone beat Thanos?" question could be solved by an easter egg in GotG.

Gunn confirmed among the Collector's relics is Adam Warlock's cocoon.

SeeDarkly_Xero

Jan 24, 2014
Long time comic collectors would recognize the obvious tie-in for why this gem was chosen for this movie.
Drax was known to possess the Power Gem for a significant period of time.
Gamora at one point also possessed a gem, though not that one.)
In the comics however, Red was Power, Purple was Space, and Blue was Mind (making the gem in Loki's staff potentially the only canon-accurate one among them, IF that was a gem.)

I don't particularly care that they don't match the comic versions. In fact, it's kind of nice they don't because it allows us to be a little more surprised by the story, and I can appreciate that more than "oh goodie, they got the color right."

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Falterfire said:
Ferisar said:
I really never got how comics survived with the level of power-creep that is present in that type of story-telling, but who knows. DBZ was pretty much that: the show, but it's still popular.
Because the best comics writers know that a lot of people read comics not for the fight scenes but for the drama between characters. The fastest way to break a comics story is to put the focus on powerful beings punching each other instead of powerful beings having to either figure out how to solve a problem or solve personal problems with relationships and the like.

For proof, look at books like X-Men and Spider-Man that are built as much out of character drama as superheroics, with the superheroics mainly serving as a way to get the audience in the door so they can ideally be hooked by the characters. Certainly I'm not reading a comic book because I really don't know whether Peter Parker will be able to defeat the Green Goblin or whether Batman will stop the Joker.
Which is what I do say about two/three lines down :p I just rarely look at these stories in that light.

CGAdam

Nov 20, 2009
I'm still in the "it wasn't an Infinity Scepter" camp. They outright state in Avengers that it's powered by the Tesseract, not that it's the same kind of thing AS the Tesseract. It's blue because the cube was blue, that's all.