Guardians of the Galaxy Full Length Trailer Is Hilarious and Familiar

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Gorrath said:
What do you consider, "a serious reason"? Seems to me that Storm has a pretty damned good reason to be on the X-men that has nothing to do with her breasts, being that she's a very powerful mutant, a team leader and one of the wisest members. I can also state with some confidence that Jubilee isn't on the team because of her breasts. I'm not sure what you mean by "because she has boobs" anyway, given that every female member of the X-men has some reason to be on the team that has nothing to do with her sex. I have read a bit of X-men over the years, and I'm not sure I can recall anyone being admitted to the team because of breast size over, say, her ability to fire beams of energy around or lift trucks or control people's minds.

I don't mean to sound confrontational, but your assertion makes little sense to me.
I was talking specifically about the movies, and I will admit to not having seen the XMen movies due to hearing bad things. Certainly the fact that the most recent round of character designs featuring Mystique as 'The Naked Chick' wasn't inspiring though, especially since Storm and the others you mention weren't there.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Falterfire said:
Gorrath said:
What do you consider, "a serious reason"? Seems to me that Storm has a pretty damned good reason to be on the X-men that has nothing to do with her breasts, being that she's a very powerful mutant, a team leader and one of the wisest members. I can also state with some confidence that Jubilee isn't on the team because of her breasts. I'm not sure what you mean by "because she has boobs" anyway, given that every female member of the X-men has some reason to be on the team that has nothing to do with her sex. I have read a bit of X-men over the years, and I'm not sure I can recall anyone being admitted to the team because of breast size over, say, her ability to fire beams of energy around or lift trucks or control people's minds.

I don't mean to sound confrontational, but your assertion makes little sense to me.
I was talking specifically about the movies, and I will admit to not having seen the XMen movies due to hearing bad things. Certainly the fact that the most recent round of character designs featuring Mystique as 'The Naked Chick' wasn't inspiring though, especially since Storm and the others you mention weren't there.
Not sure what you were looking at specifically, but Storm is in the new X-Men movie and Mystique has looked like that since the first one. The reason Mystique is "The Naked Chick" is because of the way her power works. Wearing clothes would be pointless because she creates the appearance of clothes with her powers. Wearing something would make it very difficult for her to shapeshift into someone else on a whim. We can't ignore context here, she isn't "naked" for titillation's sake, but because of who she is, and the same is often true of male characters like Sabertooth.

I covered how your assertion also breaks down in reference to the movies with Black Widow. She's not just eye-candy, she plays a vital role on the team, so claiming she's just there because of her breasts makes no sense to me. Can you provide an example of someone you think is on the team just because of her breasts, that way I'll have a better idea of what it is you are arguing?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I so want to see that now, it looks like Marvel have realised that people can in fact stomach completely mental, so they're going to jump right off the cliff, brilliant!

JagermanXcell said:
inb4 the "Your move DC" comments.
Superman VS Batman will be filmed entirely on 35mm and with no studio lights or make up, because when DC are startled everything gets grittier.

Captcha: Push the edge... indeed.

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Mr. Q said:
You got to go to San Diego Comic Con, Ross? Dammit! I would give vital parts of my anatomy just to attend that convention once in my life.

Jealousy aside, I enjoyed this trailer very much. It gave us a rundown of each character on the team while hinting at others like The Collector and Nebula, showed off a good amount of footage without spoiling anything too major, and it definitely gave those who post Blue Swede's Hooked on a Feeling on YouTube a major bump. The movie has a Star Wars (original trilogy) feel but with Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy type of humor mixed with it. It's nice that a movie like this doesn't take itself too seriously, unlike DC Comics current theatrical outings we've seen. Hope to see more from this movie down the road.
If it makes you feel better, I spent the entire week either stuck in panels, or immediately filing stories as soon as said panels ended. I even had to turn down a chance to see The World's End because of a deadline. I was able to spend about 2 hours max just hanging out on the floor. WHY GOD WHY NO ONE HAS SUFFERED AS I HAVE etc.

I'm with you, but my first thought was that it feels almost like Ice Pirates but with a budget (I mean that in the most superlative possible way.) combined with Star Wars.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Fappy said:
OT: They nailed the atmosphere and the feel of the DnA Guardians run for sure. Only thing missing is ROcket Raccoon being a witty asshole XD
Given who's voicing Rocket, I'm expecting him to sound and act like Face in the 2010 A Team, except a two foot tall raccoon. I think seeing that on a big screen may be worth a ticket by itself.

Dec 16, 2009
Gorrath said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
Gorrath said:
Falterfire said:
Yeah, I'm really hoping we can just once get a female comic book character who has a serious reason for being on the team besides 'because she has boobs.'

I may be wrong, but I think he was talking about the Marvel Studios films rather than their comics
That wouldn't really address my misunderstanding though, given that Black Widow's presence on the Avengers has everything to do with her ability to be a super spy and nothing to do with being a female. One could argue that they played on her good looks for the scene where she's interrogating the Russians, but if anything that scene showed exactly why assuming she's little more than a pretty face is pretty stupid. The way she toyed with Loki was one of the best parts of the Avengers movie. So I'm not sure how anyone could arrive at the conclusion she's on the team because of her chest.
maybe not enough for him.
I will say two more strong female supers this film brings are welcome amongst the sausagefest

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
So how does this fit in with the Thor cosmology? Does this take place on the realms that haven't been covered in the Thor movies? Are there other inhabited planets besides the nine realms?

Are the characters aliens who happen to look like humans? Does this take place in the future? Are there humans who colonized space that we don't know about?

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
blalien said:
So how does this fit in with the Thor cosmology? Does this take place on the realms that haven't been covered in the Thor movies? Are there other inhabited planets besides the nine realms?

Are the characters aliens who happen to look like humans? Does this take place in the future? Are there humans who colonized space that we don't know about?
It ties directly to Thor cosmology in some way. If you recall, the stinger in Thor 2 had Asgardians dropping off one of the infinity "stones" with The Collector (Benicio del Toro), linking the Asgardian "nine realms" with the GotG Galaxy. The Collector is one of the villains of GotG, which means it takes place in now times and not in the 31st century. If I'm not mistaken, the nine realms are more like 9 distinct planets within the Milky Way galaxy connected by wormholes like the Rainbow Bridge. There are countless other worlds out there, just not connected by the world tree.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
I did a spit take when the cop said, "What a bunch of a-holes" This looks great. Reminds me of 5th element.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Although I have never read any comics in my life (not from US so)I know quite well some of the lore from both Marvel and DC characters, but I've never heard of GoTG until I went and wiki'ed them after being announced as being a movie.

With that said..after watching that trailer it really got me hyped up and I bet this movie is going to trump my expectations of it, because I really love everything that Marvel have done to the superhero movies thus far and I wish them a continuous good run for years and years to come.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
That trailer is just amazing. The more I see about this film, the more I want it to be August right fucking now.

Agente L

Apr 4, 2010
HBaskerville said:
I know there will be lots of love for this, but is no one else bothered that the dude/tree/raccoon "close-ups" are them doing something badass, and then poor Zoe Saldana gets hers and she's naked showing side boob followed by swooshing her hair. Isn't she supposed to be a badass, too? Why not show her kicking ass, rather than being cheesecake?

And before you say "it's just the trailer, relax bro" - every shot in this trailer was meticulously chosen. No accidents here. So I say c'mon Marvel, it's time to invent body suits that zip to the neck (I'm looking at you Avengers) and for goodness sake try to introduce a female character without showing her boobs.
What about star lord appearing naked in the trailer?

Do you share that opinion on that? Or you think that's a male power fantasy too?

I've also seen nebula appearing pretty badass in the trailer. And moments after the sideboob from gamora, I see her dueling Nebula and being in a explosion.

@Topic

The trailer looks pretty awesome. Never looked too much into GotG, and this trailer seems pretty great. Looking forward for it.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
RossaLincoln said:
Mr. Q said:
You got to go to San Diego Comic Con, Ross? Dammit! I would give vital parts of my anatomy just to attend that convention once in my life.

Jealousy aside, I enjoyed this trailer very much. It gave us a rundown of each character on the team while hinting at others like The Collector and Nebula, showed off a good amount of footage without spoiling anything too major, and it definitely gave those who post Blue Swede's Hooked on a Feeling on YouTube a major bump. The movie has a Star Wars (original trilogy) feel but with Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy type of humor mixed with it. It's nice that a movie like this doesn't take itself too seriously, unlike DC Comics current theatrical outings we've seen. Hope to see more from this movie down the road.
If it makes you feel better, I spent the entire week either stuck in panels, or immediately filing stories as soon as said panels ended. I even had to turn down a chance to see The World's End because of a deadline. I was able to spend about 2 hours max just hanging out on the floor. WHY GOD WHY NO ONE HAS SUFFERED AS I HAVE etc.

I'm with you, but my first thought was that it feels almost like Ice Pirates but with a budget (I mean that in the most superlative possible way.) combined with Star Wars.
I've never heard of Ice Pirates before. Is it worth checking out on DVD?

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Mr. Q said:
I've never heard of Ice Pirates before. Is it worth checking out on DVD?
Hell yes. It's genuinely hilarious. It's somewhere in between Spaceballs and Galaxy Quest in terms of tone. Not a direct parody of any specific film, just wacky as hell. Also, space herpes is a thing. WARNING: it's definitely a movie from the early 80s. But in a charming way. Also, it has Ron Perlman in an early role.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Remus said:
Was anyone else reminded of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie when they saw this?
Especially the title's look. And you know what? That gets me PUMPED. I loved the Hitchhiker's Guide movie. If this is a 'Marvel meets Hitchhiker's Guide' like it kind of looks like it's going to be, I think this is going to top Avengers for me.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Looks nice. I'm hoping this not only creates a fun new universe (or old, if you're somehow a long-time fan of GotG) for sci-fi fans, but shows that a franchise like Star Wars is in good hands with Disney.

Jan 27, 2011
Saw this earlier today and got all hyped up for it. Looks like it's going to be pretty funny, although "generic american white dude with snark main character guy" really doesn't interest me at all, and in fact I worry I'm just going to find him boring in the end.

So in the end, I am SO seeing this just for Rocket Racoon. XD

Captcha: "what for".

...FOR ROCKET RACOON, CAPTCHA! Jeez, Pay attention when I'm speaking to you!

HBaskerville

Jun 22, 2010
Browncoat86 said:
To be fair, right before that there was also a cheescake shot of Chris Pratt.
To be fair, Chris Pratt is the star of the trailer. He talks and is shown doing many other things besides his beefcake shot.

No one else on the team talks and Zoe's action shots are her side boob, hair tossing and drawing (but not fighting with) a sword. They are in no way equal.

HBaskerville

Jun 22, 2010
Agente L said:
What about star lord appearing naked in the trailer?

Do you share that opinion on that? Or you think that's a male power fantasy too?

I've also seen nebula appearing pretty badass in the trailer. And moments after the sideboob from gamora, I see her dueling Nebula and being in a explosion.
Chris Pratt also gets to talk, is shown doing other things (comedy, action, etc) and interacting with many other characters. Perhaps they just don't have much else filmed with the other characters, but hey they did manage to get those all important sideboob shots of Zoe Saldana.

And not to be totally pedantic, but you see her draw a sword, not actually do anything with it. Unlike the raccoon and Dave Bautista, both of whom are shown actually fighting. I'm just saying.

How hard would it be to show her kicking ass, instead of the typical modesty boob pose? I want strong female characters to not have to show their cleavage or their ass all the time.