Guardians sets box office records could top all Phase 1 films bar Avengers

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
http://www.deadline.com/2014/08/box-office-preview-guardians-of-the-galaxy-expected-to-rock-et-the-down-low-on-get-on-up/

Matinee showings of James Gunn?s The Guardians Of The Galaxy is hot as can be and after those record late night numbers we are now looking at a picture that could play past $95M ? if this strength holds up, which we believe it will. It plays to families, with kids so Saturday and Sunday moviegoing should be strong and tonight?s CinemaScore is also expected to be high. It?s taking all the air out of the box office right now. And checking in with Fandango, they said today is their biggest ticketing day of the summer. So Guardian tickets are selling like hot cakes. Of the more than 1,000 ticket buyers, 55% plan to see the movie more than once and 63% plan to bring in their kids to see the film. It?s outselling the first Thor and Captain America and even the first Iron Man in the same point of their sales cycle so Marvel has itself the start of another original film franchise.
Apparently everyone is hooked on the feeling. The MCU is apparently the gift that gives $600,000,000 at a time, they can't keep this up can they?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I'm not surprised. I watched it last night (opening night in the US), and not only was it a great movie, it was PACKED. I went with a group of 6 friends, and half of them were late, and the rest of us really had a hard time trying to save them seats because of how crowded the theater was. I remember watching Captain America on opening night back when it first came out and it wasn't quite as crowded.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
If it's as good as I've been hearing, then excellent. It's really good if a movie that was considered a risk, that looks goofier compared to the other heroes movies, did better than the rest, shows that if things are done right, you can make a great movie and it can pay off. I won't be able to see it till later this month, but I look forward to it since it's been getting praise.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Not surprising. I went to see it at noon yesterday, and as you probably know the noon showings are the least attended. About 21% of the theater was filled.

Movitz

Jan 30, 2013
Saw it yesterday, and yeah, not surprised it's doing good. It really lived up to expectations. Nothing groundbreaking, but really good at what it was doing.