Guatemala riots over budget, set fire to congress building over healthcare.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
The whole premise of your argument here is beyond silly.
The premise that social-darwinism in modern society is not scientific is wrong. It is the very reason why advanced societies failed to evolve in some regions of the world, while societies elsewhere succeeded.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
The premise that social-darwinism in modern society is not scientific is wrong. It is the very reason why advanced societies failed to evolve in some regions of the world, while societies elsewhere succeeded.
So you think that England's early industrialization wasn't so much about having a large navy suitable for defending a group of islands without a large standing army and a lot more surface coal deposits than elsewhere on Earth, but was actually a matter of not having a functioning welfare state, whereas other places-- the sadly not so "advanced" societies-- took care of people and avoided poverty for the most part? Because that's the only way "Social Darwinism" could apply to any of that.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
So you think that England's early industrialization wasn't so much about having a large navy suitable for defending a group of islands without a large standing army and a lot more surface coal deposits than elsewhere on Earth, but was actually a matter of not having a functioning welfare state, whereas other places-- the sadly not so "advanced" societies-- took care of people and avoided poverty for the most part? Because that's the only way "Social Darwinism" could apply to any of that.
Do you think that the concept of private property is universal? It is unique and apparent in advanced societies.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Advanced societies like Sumeria?
Which was advanced in the time it existed. First evidences of cities, organized worship, documented trade, governance, writing system...

edit: I think it has the first ever set of recorded law-system

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Which was advanced in the time it existed. First evidences of cities, organized worship, documented trade, governance, writing system...

edit: I think it has the first ever set of recorded law-system
Slavery. You forgot the slavery.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Slavery. You forgot the slavery.
slavery as well, labor reallotment is important in top-to-bottom economies. Look up how societies were managed before the bronze-age collapse, very centralized, top-to-bottom organization.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Capitalism leaves people unemployed and requires people to work to live.
Existence requires people to work to live. No system allows everyone to stop working. In fact, your grievance with capitalism seems to be that some people aren't working.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Oh, we got troll Iron again. Hey bud. Let us know when the other guy comes back
How many people have you killed by not donating to charity?
This year? Millions
It isn't, though. An economic system isn't supposed to "take care" of every household. It's there as a framework to facilitate work and trade.
I mean, if Capitalism did 'work and trade' at all, we wouldn't have a problem with it. Specifically, our Capitalism restrict trade to benefit certain people. It's like a cartel, extorting money (by both governments and businesses.)

The Utopian concept of Capitalism is fantastic. Its also not a reality. It's nothing like what we've got today. We're about as close as Stalin is to Capitalism.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Oh, we got troll Iron again. Hey bud. Let us know when the other guy comes back
Important to realize that Iron is arguing both that woke globalization is destroying the working class and that putting class over race is necessarily racist while arguing in favor of an essentialist understanding of race and equating Social Darwinism with Darwinian evolution. There is no way of unraveling the Gordian knot he’s made for himself that isn’t fascism.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Important to realize that Iron is arguing both that woke globalization is destroying the working class and that putting class over race is necessarily racist while arguing in favor of an essentialist understanding of race and equating Social Darwinism with Darwinian evolution. There is no way of unraveling the Gordian knot he’s made for himself that isn’t fascism.
Don't forget I'm also a protestant

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Advanced societies like Sumeria?
I disdain equating notions of property that aren’t modern private property with one another. Private property is a relatively modern invention that served as an after the fact justification of European conquests and a way of isolating the “sinful but necessary” acts of empire to random actors. That later element served to aid in European conquests, though other technological and social differences were vastly more important, like guns, the colonialist mentality, the massive influx of wealth from the conquest of the Americas, etc.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Don't forget I'm also a protestant
The only way to balance such contradictions without demanding radical change is to isolate all social ills as being the result of bad character and original sin, yes.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
I disdain equating notions of property that aren’t modern private property with one another. Private property is a relatively modern invention that served as an after the fact justification of European conquests and a way of isolating the “sinful but necessary” acts of empire to random actors. That later element served to aid in European conquests, though other technological and social differences were vastly more important, like guns, the colonialist mentality, the massive influx of wealth from the conquest of the Americas, etc.
" Private property is a relatively modern invention that served as an after the fact justification of European conquests "
what.
what made you come to this conclusion?
The only way to balance such contradictions without demanding radical change is to isolate all social ills as being the result of bad character and original sin, yes.
I don't believe in original sin

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Modern private property only starts after colonists have stolen jt.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
" Private property is a relatively modern invention that served as an after the fact justification of European conquests "
what.
what made you come to this conclusion?
Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, actually. Seeing Gibson project his ideas of feudal property onto Roman society rather than all the times I’d seen it done with private property illustrated how Rome and most ancient societies practiced neither.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, actually. Seeing Gibson project his ideas of feudal property onto Roman society rather than all the times I’d seen it done with private property illustrated how Rome and most ancient societies practiced neither.
I understand I may be mistaken, but I am still confused. Gibson attempted to frame the way Roman society viewed property as "feudal property", which is tied to land and obligations between individuals, yet you said it isn't that. Others have tried to use modern "private property", which are also incorrect. Then what is the way in which the ancient civilizations (or specifically, this Roman one) viewed property?