Guild Wars 2 75% off till March 8th.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Pretty much the title, if you're interested in Guild Wars 2 nows a good time to pick it up.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/limited-time-offer-save-75-on-guildwars2-through-march8/

OpticalJunction

Jul 1, 2011
Already own it, but this is a great bargain. Recommend anyone who is remotely into MMOs or RPGs to get this :)

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
The temptation is strong this time around. Lowest price I've seen it for and the game looks pretty fun... I might pick it up.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
$10 for the regular version, $15 for the deluxe, which I recommend since it's only $5 extra and you get a neat ability and a miniature. You only have to pay once too and with the expansion right around the corner, now's a good time go give it a once-over. Crafting is fun, the classes are unique and all entertaining, Engineers is the best though. The personal and living stories I quite enjoyed though it might not be for everyone. Same with their feelings on gear progression, there's no gear treadmill here so if you're someone who needs that carrot-on-a-stick to keep you going you won't find that in GW2 outside of cosmetic stuff.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Apparently you only pay for a Guild Wars game when you buy it, is that true? No Sub fees? No free to play and pay to win? Id hate to buy this thinking its a better deal than it is.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Fieldy409 said:
Apparently you only pay for a Guild Wars game when you buy it, is that true? No Sub fees? No free to play and pay to win? Id hate to buy this thinking its a better deal than it is.
Mind you I haven't played for awhile, but that is correct. You pay for the box, any expansion if you want though they aren't necessary for the base game, and that's it. You can buy cosmetic stuff later if you want. I think you can buy little XP boosts and stuff like that, but that doesn't turn into pay to win because of how they set up their pve and pvp content scaling.

Guild Wars 2 is probably the best designed MMO I've ever played and anyone who has even a passing interest in MMOs or RPGs and doesn't try this out for $10 is cheating themselves.

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
I dunno. I played for awhile only to leave and come back to a lot of news and changes I'm unsure if like. Been in this weird limbo of "Do I want to come back or do I not". Can't say that new players will like them or not but go read up on what's changed if you want to pick this up. Like more modern articles/reviews rather than what was put up when the game first came out.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Fieldy409 said:
Yeah, for the most part.

There is no sub fee of any kind. You buy it once, you can play it until it shuts down eventually.

Also, you can't buy anything that lets you win or gives you direct competitive advantage that isn't available to free players.

However, you CAN buy gold, which can be used to expedite certain grinds on your way to the best gear. The flipside here is that once you do get the best gear (one way or anther) you'll never need to upgrade as they won't be raising the level can or adding new tiers of gear (not even in expansions, this has been officially confirmed multiple times).

Also, you can buy convenience. More character slots (you get 5 by default, which isn't bad), more bank space (the default bank is a bit small), XP boosts, things like that. None of this gives you any actual edge over non-paying players, nor are any actual features locked.

Finally, you can buy the "paid" currency with in-game gold. It's not cheap, but if you happen to get rich in the game, you can acquire anything from the cash shop.

All in all, the initial purchase gives you a full-featured game and you won't feel left out. And if you end up playing long enough to actually start considering some of the extras from the cash shop, then you'll likely have gotten enough fun out of the game to possibly warrant an extra expense. It's a good deal, is what I'm saying.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Well, I've been meaning to play this for a while now. Seems as good a time as any!

Quick question though: Can you play this game with an Xbox 360 controller?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Fieldy409 said:
There are no subscription fees; the game is one-purchase only.

There is, however, an in-game "gem store" for microtransactions, but it contains nothing that will give actual advantage-- only conveniences and/or superficial things such as weapon skins, and it's even possible to translate in-game currency into "gems", so you can still get those gem store items without ever spending more real money.

Altogether, I spent £50 on the game itself (on release), and about £10 on gems in all, and it's given me over a thousand hours gameplay.

Tigurus

Apr 14, 2009
I am really on the fence on buying this game but I am not sure. I LOVED Guild Wars 1, even though somehow I cannot connect anymore.
Guess I will ponder for atleast a few hours before I might buy it.

Treeberry

Nov 27, 2013
I've decided to go for this. I enjoyed the original but spent too much foolishly trying to get titles instead of actually playing and enjoying the game. 'Twas the precursor to my trophy woes I guess. Also my favourite class combos got utterly nerfed in SP despite being weak-ish anyway and being a largely solo SP-er (I like to do quests and explore on my own but interact with people in towns and minigames).

The great thing is since I don't have to worry about a subscription (I have a job and I don't always want to play on PC when I get home) I can play pretty much whenever I don't have a headache. Yay!

It's a kind of silly though that it won't let you progress if you use the same email address as the one you used for the original but no longer have the original serial stored anywhere. Why not treat them as separate and then have an optional link? Or maybe I'm just being stupid again.

Subbies

Dec 11, 2010
Thanks for the heads up, just bought the deluxe edition. Any suggestions for a noob mmo player?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Subbies said:
Thanks for the heads up, just bought the deluxe edition. Any suggestions for a noob mmo player?
Explore like mad, that's my suggestion.

Each major city in GW2 contains a portal that can bring you to Lion's Arch, the neutral "hub" city-- and from where more portals can take you to the other major cities. Some of them are breathtakingly beautiful.

So I'd recommend you roll whatever race you want, familiarise yourself with the surroundings and do a little bit of local questing, and then use the portals to get a taste of the faraway areas.

Oh, and don't rush levelling.

Tigurus said:
I am really on the fence on buying this game but I am not sure. I LOVED Guild Wars 1, even though somehow I cannot connect anymore.
For what it's worth, you can still visit a number of the locations from GW1, including Droknar's Forge (now submerged underwater), the Henge of Denravi, Ascalon City (also mostly submerged), the Granite Citadel, & the Temple of the Ages.

Fort Koga, which used to be the Maguuma Jungle arena in GW1, is also accessible, with the ghost of a "runner" sprinting around it; a reference to the annoying tendency of the last player on a losing team in PvP to simply run away around the map. Apparently, one still hasn't given up 250 years later. :p

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Installing the $10.00 edition as we speak...

I was a HUGE fan of the original Guild Wars and felt that it did a solid job at addressing the tiresome forced grind elements from this genre. I waited on the second game because of how different the sequel appeared mechanically from the original. Especially since I much prefer to play these games solo as much as humanly possible due to a history of very negative team experiences.

At $10.00 I can justify giving this GW2 a shot.

Sep 13, 2009
Tigurus said:
Just a warning, it is very different than Guild Wars 1. I enjoyed Guild Wars 1 a lot as well (even though I didn't play it thaat much), and it feels like an entirely different series aside from the inclusion of the Charr.

Personally I wasn't a big fan of it because it feels like ability customization is practically non-existent. You choose a weapon, and that weapons sets 90% of the skills you'll use in combat. You have a couple that you can gradually customize that are usable once every 100 seconds or some. For someone who had some of his most fun in Guild Wars 1 just playing around with builds and playstyles, this has kind of killed the game for me

EDIT: I forgot that it was a little bit more than just skills, there's really no customization directly on your character besides the once every 100 seconds skills. No attributes to increase or anything (that is done automatically when you level up). It's all in which items you find and what bonuses those give your character.

I'm not saying that it isn't fun, I'd say the combat is more engaging than the original GW, but a large part of the reason I play rpgs is to build my character, and it felt like most of my input ended once I left the character creation screen (which was quite good actually)

Tigurus

Apr 14, 2009
The Almighty Aardvark said:
Tigurus said:
Just a warning, it is very different than Guild Wars 1. I enjoyed Guild Wars 1 a lot as well (even though I didn't play it thaat much), and it feels like an entirely different series aside from the inclusion of the Charr.

Personally I wasn't a big fan of it because it feels like ability customization is practically non-existent. You choose a weapon, and that weapons sets 90% of the skills you'll use in combat. You have a couple that you can gradually customize that are usable once every 100 seconds or some. For someone who had some of his most fun in Guild Wars 1 just playing around with builds and playstyles, this has kind of killed the game for me

EDIT: I forgot that it was a little bit more than just skills, there's really no customization directly on your character besides the once every 100 seconds skills. No attributes to increase or anything (that is done automatically when you level up). It's all in which items you find and what bonuses those give your character.

I'm not saying that it isn't fun, I'd say the combat is more engaging than the original GW, but a large part of the reason I play rpgs is to build my character, and it felt like most of my input ended once I left the character creation screen (which was quite good actually)
Well, I bought it. Birthday moneyz can do so much. Hurray!
And I can understand what you mean. I would like more/different skills/spells but in my opinion, Guild Wars 1 had waay too much skills and spells.
I do enjoy it though. Hope that feeling will stay lol

Sep 13, 2009
Tigurus said:
Well, I bought it. Birthday moneyz can do so much. Hurray!
And I can understand what you mean. I would like more/different skills/spells but in my opinion, Guild Wars 1 had waay too much skills and spells.
I do enjoy it though. Hope that feeling will stay lol
If it does, good for you. I really wanted to like this game, so I have no disdain for it. I'm just disappointed I wasn't able to get into it. It's definitely still got a lot of good for it, especially the visuals. There's a reason why I've had a GW2 background for about the last 2 years