Guild Wars 2: Redifining MMORPGs?

Symbi

Feb 20, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVrffwTyImA

Any thoughts about Guild Wars 2 and attempting to redifine the MMORPG genre and eliminating the usual grind?

Polyintrinsic

Dec 4, 2009
It is a lot of talk to back up. I believe what they are trying to accomplish just isn't possible with today's technology-though it would be really sweet. To have a truly dynamic and changing world would take programming that doesn't exist.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
That's what they said about the original, and it turned out to be less an MMO and more a series of mp scenario linked by a fancy chat-room. Still, cynicism aside, that *does* look damn cool even with the annoyingly cute little fuzzy creatures which even just having seen them drives me into a cold rage and fuels a crazed bloodlust that descends over me as a red haze. Must. Kill.

Fuzzy gnomes aside, looks interesting. Wouldn't hold my breath though: Every MMO promises to be 'new' and 'different', but none ever really succeed. Everyone thought Age of Conan would redefine the genre. It didn't. Or Warhammer Online would redefine MMO combat. Hah! And so many other MMO both big budget and small dev alike, all dismal disappointments that failed to live up to the grandiose promises of their developers!

Don't get your hopes up. If all you want are glowy dragons and beautiful fantasy scenery, WOW has both in spades. Guild Wars 2 is gonna have to do quite a lot more to stand out from the crowd!

Lord Devius

Aug 5, 2010
Having just recently gotten into Guild Wars, getting Eye of the North and another expansion (can't decide which) on Friday, I hope that they can match their claims.

But so many MMOs have claimed to do something new, as The Madman said, that it's really just hope. They're trying to craft a single-player experience into a massively multiplayer game. That is not going to happen in this decade, unless some massive programming breakthrough occurs.

I still haven't tried WoW, simply because of the cost, so my views on MMOs may not be valid to some. The trial period isn't enough for me to decide and $15 a month is... beyond me at the moment.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Easily Forgotten said:
Having just recently gotten into Guild Wars, getting Eye of the North and another expansion (can't decide which) on Friday, I hope that they can match their claims.

But so many MMOs have claimed to do something new, as The Madman said, that it's really just hope. They're trying to craft a single-player experience into a massively multiplayer game. That is not going to happen in this decade, unless some massive programming breakthrough occurs.

I still haven't tried WoW, simply because of the cost, so my views on MMOs may not be valid to some. The trial period isn't enough for me to decide and $15 a month is... beyond me at the moment.
Getting EotN might be best becuase it has many connections with GW2's story.

Polyintrinsic said:
It is a lot of talk to back up. I believe what they are trying to accomplish just isn't possible with today's technology-though it would be really sweet. To have a truly dynamic and changing world would take programming that doesn't exist.
Not really, its just that lots of people want to be WoW so no one ever tried.

The Madman said:
Don't get your hopes up. If all you want are glowy dragons and beautiful fantasy scenery, WOW has both in spades. Guild Wars 2 is gonna have to do quite a lot more to stand out from the crowd!
But it already does, most of its thing it will have no other mmo will. TOR has personal stories (but based on class) that is similar to the person stories in GW2 but not as robust and no other mmo has dynamic events.

Lord Devius

Aug 5, 2010
Korten12 said:
Yeah, I have enough money to get two expansions, and due to recommendation by a friend, I'm getting EotN and Factions. (Alliance battles are apparently fun.)

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
I've long since given up hope for NCSoft making a good game. Spoiler alert: GW2 will have botters and spammers rampant, and there will be nothing done about hacking.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Easily Forgotten said:
Korten12 said:
Yeah, I have enough money to get two expansions, and due to recommendation by a friend, I'm getting EotN and Factions. (Alliance battles are apparently fun.)
I got Factions before prophices and Factions was a lot of fun expect for some stupidly hard missions.

ItsAPaul said:
I've long since given up hope for NCSoft making a good game. Spoiler alert: GW2 will have botters and spammers rampant, and there will be nothing done about hacking.
Did you not see the logo: ArenaNet? While NCSoft may produce it, they have little to none say in the development of GW2. ArenaNet even has its own customer serivce seperate from NCSoft.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
I see a trailer with talking heads and a chick making ambiguous claims backed by cut scenes. I'll save my judgments till later.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Canid117 said:
Doesn't every MMO say its going to eliminate grind before release?
Yes but they also never did make one, GW while it may not have been a true MMO, a CORPG, it had no grinding at all. They said that leveling will not take hours on end due to the fact that when leveling your exp doesnt raise that much.

This is the leveling curve:

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Korten12 said:
But it already does, most of its thing it will have no other mmo will. TOR has personal stories (but based on class) that is similar to the person stories in GW2 but not as robust and no other mmo has dynamic events.
So they say... so they say...

And plenty of other MMO have dynamic events. I remember the Matrix Online was built around the concept (Another MMO which promised the sky and failed!), as was Darkfall and numerous other games which have almost all since either shut down or been forgotten by all but a dedicated few.

I've heard this promised before, and as of yet it's never ended well. I wont get my hopes up.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
"No other mmo has dynamic events"

That's because every other mmo knows people are on different sleep schedules, especially when you're not WoW and can't have a ton of people show up regardless.

BoxCutter

Jul 3, 2009
I really hope that Guild Wars 2 and The Old Republic are not released around the same time because it will be an extremely difficult decision choosing which one to start with.

rockingnic

May 6, 2009
You know you can't change a genre without creating another genre... Hmm, what if FPS had the camera outside of the person.. oh wait that's third person. Hmm, what if we put online on RPG with thousands and maybe millions of players? Oh wait that's an MMO. Really, people should shut up about changing a genre rather than improving it, there's nothing wrong with that. Though I think GW2 has promise, I'm just not listening to the genre changing.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Korten12 said:
Canid117 said:
Doesn't every MMO say its going to eliminate grind before release?
Yes but they also never did make one, GW while it may not have been a true MMO, a CORPG, it had no grinding at all. They said that leveling will not take hours on end due to the fact that when leveling your exp doesnt raise that much.

This is the leveling curve:

A static learning curve is a BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD thing.