Guild Wars 2 vs. TERA Online

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Easy: go with TERA, it's armor and character designs are sexier. :3

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I would say GW2 but then at least one of the reasons I stopped playing Tera would be what you would like.

GW2
+Gorgeous maps
+I can play a female character I actually like rather than despising how they move and look.
+more interesting races to chose from and they didn't find an excuse to make the Charr have no woman or the woman just have cat ears and a tail.
+Less "go here and kill 50 of that for some reason", especially when you get to level 80 zones which are built around events.
+ better story and lore? I never paid any attention to Tera's one
+ Less gear grind than most MMOs. I don't like that they added ascended gear but that is suppose to be the last one they ever add and they did make items of it's tier account bound.
+those that talk are relatively nice. If you ask a question someone will probably answer it.
-no open world PvP servers but I suppose it wouldn't really work with the rest of the game
-they have a bad habit of ditching content though they are supposedly going to revamp WvW at some point.
-open world PvE is easy which makes the combat boring, especially since unless you are an Ele you don't have a complex skill rotation (in fact for some weapons you will lower your DPS using skills). Many of your skills are suppose to be situational. Dungeons devolved into just stacking though fractals and the new raids are better. The new maps are harder than core so it is getting better.
-it is particularly noticeable in scheduled events and the SW map that a lot of the players are lazy and only do the minimum needed to tag the event for rewards. You can have a commander telling them exactly what they need to do to make the fight go smoothly and they won't do it. They will just auto attack and if they die wait someone to rez them. Since events scale with the number of people this is a problem, particularly for achievements.
-some maps are impossible to do much in unless they have enough people and are organised.
-unskipable talking segments and they tend to lock achievements until you have done the story segment once so you have to repeat it.
-the new traitlines from the paid expansion are for the most part much more powerful than the base which is a bit of a problem for PvP if you don't buy it.

Tera
+better combat
+open world PvP (if you want it)
-Better combat is destroyed by grind.
-aesthetic ranges from indifferent to strong dislike.
-map chat seemed nastier but that might have been my server.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I personally love TERA and couldn't stand GW2. I regret buying it to this day to be honest. I was so unbelievably bored in that game.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
I've tried both and, ultimately, got a lot more satisfaction out of Tera.

With that said? I haven't really played either all that long...highest level character in Tera is only like 40, so I can't really comment on the end game or anything.

Gameplay was just more engaging in Tera and I enjoyed the aesthetic to a greater extent than GW2, but the story is so God damned uninteresting that I kinda only ever hop on once in a blue moon.

Have you tried Blade and Soul yet? It's kind of a combination between the two in some respects.

[small]Also, jiggle physics.[/small]

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Zykon TheLich said:
Paragon Fury said:
the silence said:
You are Paragon Fury. Get TERA.
Wait...what does me being Paragon Fury have to do with TERA?
Is this a joke or a terrible lack of awareness about how you are perceived on the Escapist?
Oh, I just wasn't sure how my reputation as a member of pure innocent content and tastes and certainly no perversions at all could ever be used in reference to a game preference.

*cough*

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
I would say TERA just because I despised the questing in GW2 to the point where I quit after a very short time. I get the frustration with so many RPG quests being "bring me 5 bear asses" but I don't see how having your entire starting area consist of menial tasks and glacial slogs that take forever because they depend on multiple people participating is any better. That said I haven't played since launch week so it may very well have improved since then.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Zykon TheLich said:
Paragon Fury said:
Oh, I just wasn't sure how my reputation as a member of pure innocent content and tastes and certainly no perversions at all could ever be used in reference to a game preference.
*cough*
Why of course, I am sure there is no possible way you could have concluded that your reputation on the forums could in any way be linked to a game where
passes for armour.
That's the fun thing about Tera though.

Equal opportunity embonerment.

Between all the costumes and armor sets, you can basically walk around naked as pretty much every race.

It's glorious.

ThatOtherGirl

Jul 20, 2015
LostGryphon said:
Zykon TheLich said:
Paragon Fury said:
*cough*
Why of course, I am sure there is no possible way you could have concluded that your reputation on the forums could in any way be linked to a game where
passes for armour.

Between all the costumes and armor sets, you can basically walk around naked as pretty much every race.

It's glorious.
I love games with equal opportunity hotness.

OT: Not much into MMO's myself, so character design and costume design tends to be the overwhelming consideration for me when I comes to MMO's. I would go with Tera and make it your mission to collect all the prettiest and sexiest outfits in the world.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
LostGryphon said:
Zykon TheLich said:
Paragon Fury said:
*cough*
passes for armour.

It's glorious.
You can like the aesthetic but don't even try to pretend Tera is equal opportunity.
There is a massive difference between being able to play a "sexy" guy if you want to (but with less suggestive and retarded animations and not to the point where they're offering you their bare backside or end up being posed to look like they fucking each other) and having damn near no other option. Even the Aman have pseudo heels and ass crack armour.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Zykon TheLich said:
LostGryphon said:

It's glorious.
For the sake of argument, I'm going to go to agree with Demented sheep on the equal opportunities front, but at the same time that's purely for the argument, they are under no obligation to be "equal opportunities", if they want all the women in their games to be porcelain animu fuckdolls in lingerie armour then good on them for doing so, they had a vision and they damn well went for it. I can respect their dedication, even if the focus of that dedication gets a bit of an eyebrow raise and a smirk.
That's ok. I don't like it but I don't have problem with Tera specifically. I just get annoyed at it being touted as equal all the time when it really isn't.
I'm disappointed that the aesthetic (and grind) killed the game for me because I like the way the warrior class plays.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
sanquin said:
The dynamic events make it a lot of fun, especially if there are more players around. And the world bosses are pretty awesome.
Join a hundred other people and walk while snared toward a giant ice dragon until you die, chipping it to death over 45 minutes, then forget how eye-wateringly boring that experience was and call it "pretty awesome" on a forum in 2016.

OP, the world bosses in GW2 are virtually all garbage-- and so are the structured, instanced PvE encounters. The developers had absolutely no notion of how to make an encounter with interesting, tight mechanics, which is why in vanilla GW2 (at least when I left) there simply aren't any.

Go TERA. It'll take you about 7 days to level if you know/still remember the routes and how to group quests. The PvP is better (no standing inside of other people during combat because your engine is worse than your prequel's). The instanced PvE is miles and miles and miles better, no question.

And come the endgame, what else are you doing, besides those two things and playing dress up?

And dress up with
Elin
is the best.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I haven't played Tera, but the main draw of GW2 has always been that it's a much more casual experience. Heart of Thorns added harder content and raids, so the lack of end game isn't as huge a thing anymore. You list grinding as a con in GW2, but I'd honestly say that it doesn't have to exist if you don't want it to. Sure, you can grind the same events over and over which provide the most gold, but in the end game, the only thing you need gold for is fashion. In fact, the game is often called Fashion Wars 2. There are better stat sets that you can go for in the end game, but you don't need them since they only provide maybe a 10% stat bonus. Having the best stats for raids is nice, but the dps checks aren't tight enough for it to matter. There's just less room for error.

For PvP, if you're planning on trying out the game as F2P first, I'd honestly just avoid this. HoT introduced some major power creep so the elite specs are much better than the vanilla specs. PvP is quite a bit of fun, but it wouldn't be if you're not on equal footing.

More on endgame since this is something people tend to bring up, what do you actually look for in endgame? Grinding for better and better loot with slightly better stats each time? You won't find that. You will find high level zones and content though. The entire recent expansion is basically all end game, though I wouldn't say it was worth the 50 bucks they charged for it.

The one thing you didn't mention is exploration. I tell everyone to take their time when going through the game the first time because the open world is one of the best. Many of the zones are absolutely gorgeous and they also have lots of hidden areas which usually lead to jumping puzzles.

You mentioned story being interesting, but honestly, I'd disagree. Most of the characters are bland and the ending is pretty anticlimactic. HoT had some better characters, but the story was FAR too short and was honestly just stupid. The lore of GW2 is very interesting, but it's not presented very well in game and really isn't utilized all that well by the writers. I'd say that this is probably the weakest part of the game.

Also, for characters looking the same.... what? I guess some of the generic armors that you see early game look fairly similar and there are a lot of trench coats for medium armor, but dungeon armors all have pretty distinct looks and there are quite a few other sets besides those.

Another thing you'll see a lot of people praise in GW2 are the world bosses. These are definitely pretty cool the first couple times you fight them, but they're honestly some of the easiest content in the game. Most of them don't involve very much in the way of mechanics. I rarely do these now. Instead of more world bosses, Heart of Thorns introduced more map-wide meta events. These are more mechanically involving and require quite a bit more coordination from the map. Most people have them down pretty well now though, so they don't fail nearly as often as they did during the first month of launch.

To be honest, I'm not sure where you got the breakdown of +/- for GW2, but as someone who's put about 600 hours into the game, it doesn't seem all that accurate. Although, I suppose it can't be that inaccurate since, for good reason, World vs. World wasn't even mentioned in your overview. A part of the game that was once considered to be a major selling point has been so thoroughly neglected by the devs that it's basically reached meme status in the community.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Candidus said:
OP, the world bosses in GW2 are virtually all garbage-- and so are the structured, instanced PvE encounters. The developers had absolutely no notion of how to make an encounter with interesting, tight mechanics, which is why in vanilla GW2 (at least when I left) there simply aren't any.
When did you leave? They've redesigned several of the old world bosses (such as Tequatl the Sunless (sept 2013) and The Shatterer (Jan 2016)) to require a great deal more cooperation, communication, and adapting tactics; they're unwinnable if you zerg them.

In their original state, they were pretty poor, I'll agree, but not after the redesign. The Tri-Wurm & Mordrem Vinewrath are also tight & well-designed.

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
Zykon TheLich said:
DementedSheep said:
That's ok. I don't like it but I don't have problem with Tera specifically. I just get annoyed at it being touted as equal all the time when it really isn't.
I'm disappointed that aesthetic (and grind) killed the game for me because I like the way the warrior class plays.
Yeah, I have similar feelings, good gameplay, but the rest.... Though as an added extra, I played an hour or so last night thanks to this thread and there's another thing GW2 beats TERA on for me:

Fast travel. GW2 you can teleport to any beacon you've previously been to at any time for a very small amount of in game currency.
TERA you can only teleport out from the main area town to specific encampments that you've activated as a teleport destination (usually after completing a bunch of quests there). Teleporting back to the main townrequires scrolls that don't drop very often and cost a comparatively large amount of in game currency to buy, so you'll be doing a lot of running back and forth, especially as the only places you can trade items and get more than you would from an NPC merchant are in the towns, whereas GW2 can do it at any vendor.
Actually right now I have about 30 such scrolls from quests/drops, I can teleport to any non-discovered teleport destination already and I even have a book for one week (also from drop/quest) with which I can instantly teleport to every village on the world.

So ... that's definitely not true anymore for TERA

StardustCrusader said:
Lunar Templar said:
StardustCrusader said:
Neither. Black Desert Online.
lolno
Blade and Soul

but between those two, Tera
Is Blade and Soul that much better for combat? I heard it was.
Blade and Soul has cool combat and funny questing (and leads even better from place to playe than others). It runs slightly crap though, and you have not really enough inventory space. And it is full asian, not westernized, which means that many westerners are alienated by it.

Aug 31, 2012
the silence said:
Actually right now I have about 30 such scrolls from quests/drops, I can teleport to any non-discovered teleport destination already and I even have a book for one week (also from drop/quest) with which I can instantly teleport to every village on the world.

So ... that's definitely not true anymore.
So the scrolls are still drops yes? I have 7 safe haven scrolls, if I ever actually used them to TP when I wanted I'd have none. Has the drop rate increased a lot? Because it didn't seem to have done so for me.

How do you teleport to any non discovered teleport destination already? I played for a few hours last night and still could only teleport as I said. If I could do what you say my opinion of TERA would certainly get a bit better.[Edit:Ok, I was mistaken, I was fooled by the way the maps aren't particularly open and it felt liek there should have been more locations than there actually were. Only being able to TP from the central town is still a ball ache though]

As for the book, that's great (for a week) if you've got that drop I suppose.