Guild Wars 2's Super Adventure Box Returns With More

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Guild Wars 2's Super Adventure Box Returns With More

The April Fool's update finds a permanent home in Tyria.

There are many ways a developer can prank its audience. It can swap everyone's genders for a day, translate all speech into Klingon, or super power the gnome (or gnome-equivalent) race. ArenaNet decided to go the non-confrontational route with the April Fools update for Guild Wars 2, and instead made a retro platformer called Super Adventure Box. It featured a 3d pixel world filled with platforming, combat, and magic keys, all while 8-bit music gave your 5.1 setup a workout. While the fun only lasted a month, ArenaNet's bringing it back for good, starting September 3rd, along with a few updates.

The Super Adventure Box is a magical device created by a mad Asuran scientist, but predictably, it's all gone horribly wrong and now he's paying adventurers to fix it from the inside out. Upon entering,health bars become a series of hearts, abilities change, and platforming rules the day. Slaughtering your lo-fi foes nets you baubles, which you can cash in for goodies like improved weapons and health potions.

This new release takes that original update and expands on it with new levels and a new Tribulation Mode. Saving up your baubles also lets you unlock new rewards, like old-school weapon skins and new King Toad and Storm Wizard sets that you can carry back into the real (virtual) world. There's even a "mini Princess Miya" to collect, which looks like an Asuran Princess Peach with less polygons.

Even if you never touch this magical entertainment cube, there are still increased skill caps and new materials to enjoy. Weaponsmiths, Artificers, and Huntsman can now train up to 500 and become Grandmaster Crafters with the ability to make Ascended weapons. Also, the Magic Find ability won't just be an equipment stat, but an account-wide bonus that applies to all your characters.

Source: [a href=https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/september-03-2013/]ArenaNet[/a]

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
I really can't wait for this update, it sounds amazing. Ascended Weapons + New 100 level crafting for each profession? Yes please. :D

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
Oh boy, this is going t be fun. I loved the Super Adventure Box the first time I played it and I'd like to try my hand at getting more loot and such. Also, looking forward to that grandmaster stuff.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Yay! the return of Super Adventure Box! Best meta ever! literally a game within a game.
IanDavis said:
The Super Adventure Box is a magical device created by a mad Asuran scientist, but predictably, it's all gone horribly wrong and now he's paying adventurers to fix it from the inside out.
Um... I don't mean to nit-pick (though I'm going to anyway), but this isn't exactly true. Nothing has "gone horribly wrong". In fact, it's all functioning perfectly. The Super Adventure Box is Guild Wars 2's equivalent of a video game console - complete with "concerned parents" claiming the box is "ruining their children's minds". Moto, the Asuran creator of the Box (and reference/homage to the great Shigeru Miyamoto), invites players to participate in "beta-testing" his game. He rewards his beta-testers with holographic-styled item skins, while selling versions of them outside the box to pay for his development costs.

SAB was created as an education tool for young Asura, and is vaguely education-themed, with Achievements titled as "Distinctions" in various subjects such as "Applied Jumping" and "Exploration". The latest Living Story update plays on September's traditional "Back to School" theme, by inviting players to "continue their education" within the Box. Though admittedly, that doesn't sound as exciting as "everything has gone wrong and we need you to fix it!"...

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
2xDouble said:
Yay! the return of Super Adventure Box! Best meta ever! literally a game within a game.
IanDavis said:
The Super Adventure Box is a magical device created by a mad Asuran scientist, but predictably, it's all gone horribly wrong and now he's paying adventurers to fix it from the inside out.
Um... I don't mean to nit-pick (though I'm going to anyway), but this isn't exactly true. Nothing has "gone horribly wrong". In fact, it's all functioning perfectly. The Super Adventure Box is Guild Wars 2's equivalent of a video game console - complete with "concerned parents" claiming the box is "ruining their children's minds". Moto, the Asuran creator of the Box (and reference/homage to the great Shigeru Miyamoto), invites players to participate in "beta-testing" his game. He rewards his beta-testers with holographic-styled item skins, while selling versions of them outside the box to pay for his development costs.

SAB was created as an education tool for young Asura, and is vaguely education-themed, with Achievements titled as "Distinctions" in various subjects such as "Applied Jumping" and "Exploration". The latest Living Story update plays on September's traditional "Back to School" theme, by inviting players to "continue their education" within the Box. Though admittedly, that doesn't sound as exciting as "everything has gone wrong and we need you to fix it!"...
Well...technically you are 100% right. But you neglected the first day this content released on April 1st. Something did go horribly wrong on that day and the creatures of the Super Adventure Box somehow made it into the real word where players could go fight them in different zones across Tyria.

Angel Molina

Mar 23, 2011
Oh man, I have to stop holding out and buy GW2 already. I was hoping that eventually there might be a discount. But from the looks of it, that $50 price tag might be justifiable.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Deathfish15 said:
Well...technically you are 100% right. But you neglected the first day this content released on April 1st. Something did go horribly wrong on that day and the creatures of the Super Adventure Box somehow made it into the real word where players could go fight them in different zones across Tyria.
I missed the initial event on the first, but I had heard something like that. Wasn't there a "postmortem" event afterward? explaining that the holograms hadn't "escaped", but hologram projectors were placed deliberately? or were the projectors placed afterwards?

Angel Molina said:
Oh man, I have to stop holding out and buy GW2 already. I was hoping that eventually there might be a discount. But from the looks of it, that $50 price tag might be justifiable.
Indeed! In fact, ANet has just sweetened the deal [https://buy.guildwars2.com/en/] a bit. For your $50 you get the game (more than worth it on its own, imo), a free legacy armor skin (worth ~$5), 10 free XP boosters (which isn't even close to gamebreaking), and a free 18-slot inventory box.

All of which are included in the "deluxe edition", as well as its original bonuses, should that be of interest to you. (You can upgrade later in-game, if you like; currently 20% off in the gem store.)