Guillermo del Toro F**king Loves Videogames

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Guillermo del Toro F**king Loves Videogames

The director of Hellboy dropped a few F*Bombs in his support for videogames and what they mean in our culture.

Last week, The Escapist reported [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103876-Guillermo-del-Toro-Making-a-Horror-Game] that Guillermo del Toro, the Mexican film director and writer, was making a videogame for THQ. At a book signing in Portland, Oregon, Guillermo del Toro was asked what he intended to accomplish in the videogame industry and what some of his favorite titles were. He responded emphatically, "What a great fucking question!" The f-bombs continued from there.

"Videogames are the comic books of our time," del Toro said. It's a medium that gains no respect among the intelligentsia. They say 'oh, videogames.' And most people that complain about videogames have never fucking played them. Videogames have proven to be incredibly immersive experiences."

del Toro then went on to talk about some games that he loves to play. "I love shooters, by the way. I'm entirely anti-war but I've spent hours in Left 4 Dead 1 and 2," he said to applause from the crowd. "To me, there a few great videogames: Shadow of the Colossus, masterpiece; Ico, masterpiece. Back in the era of the CD-rom, there was a great game which influenced a slew of filmmakers called Gadget. Fantastic CD-rom game." I believe that del Toro is referencing the 1993 interactive film directed by Haruhiko Shono for Synergy Interactive, which he previously said influenced [http://www.next-gen.biz/features/hellboy-director-talks-gaming] the directors of Dark City and The Matrix.

Even though he said he loves the Halo franchise, he is not a devotee of the multiplayer component. "I'm not an online guy, I never go online. The only time I got online, they were so insulting. 'I'll kill you you piece of shit Mexican!' I got angry, I got really angry. I don't need this, I have enough with the message boards," del Toro said.

del Toro said that he plays a lot of games, but that he doesn't always finish games. "I've played most everything, but I don't finish everything. My rule is, with a book, a movie or a game, if it doesn't engage me then I leave it. I do not do homework with my life. I do not feel the compulsion to finish something that didn't engage me."

He then encourages anyone in the crowd who doesn't like videogames to take another look. "If you don't like, or if you think you don't like videogames, I urge you to get Shadow of the Colossus, BioShock and try them for real. You will see that they are an art form and anyone saying differently is a little out of touch. They are a narrative art form."

del Toro then compared the response to videogames to the criticism leveled at earlier forms of media. "The way that people say that horror movies 'Ah, they make the kids delinquent' or that horror comics 'They make the kids criminals.' Now it's videogames, but it's all adult bullshit."

via Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/65891]

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
suddenly I have high hopes for this game that he is making

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
And this is why people like him should be the ones making adaptations.

Because they do know the source material.

RMcD94

Nov 25, 2009
How does adding two asterisks conceal the fact that you plainly meant fuck, and how is adding asterisks any better from whatever perspective you have that requires you to conceal them in the first places?

That just pisses me off.

Anyway:

Even though he said he loves the Halo franchise, he is not a devotee of the multiplayer component. "I'm not an online guy, I never go online. The only time I got online, they were so insulting. 'I'll kill you you piece of shit Mexican!' I got angry, I got really angry. I don't need this, I have enough with the message boards," del Toro said.
Really? I'd have thought with having made a pretty famous movie he would be able to at least ignore that. Some people are awful sensitive.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
del Toro, I think I f***ing love you in a totally not gay way. Plus, bonus points for the bit on comparing people's opinion of games to comics.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
Del-Toro wasn't being superlative, this is just how he talks; "Oh thanks grandma! I fucking love cookies!"
No kidding, Del-Toro would probably say fuck fifteen times in his grandmother's eulogy and not notice.

RMcD94 said:
Really? I'd have thought with having made a pretty famous movie he would be able to at least ignore that. Some people are awful sensitive.
No one deserves to have dirty little shitheels mouthing off at them just because of the colour of his or her skin.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Scrumpmonkey said:
"Oh thanks grandma! I fucking love cookies!"
Is it odd that I read that in an Irish accent?

Anyway, good on Del Toro; always nice to hear praise from someone who actually has experience rather than, as he said "People who never fucking played it."

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
He's a bit too eager, maybe, but I really like his enthusiasm. Plus, he's made some great films.

Good luck del Toro! The people of the escapist support your endeavor (I'm assuming).

Zerbye

Aug 1, 2008
Does del Toro normally drop the fuck-bombs in his public engagements? Reading it feels like he's "talking down" to his audience. You know, gamers swear lots and "adults don't understand gaming". These are a lot of the stereotypical preconceptions about gaming that make it almost seem calculated in his part as a way to sell his gamer cred.

Zerbye

Aug 1, 2008
Blind Sight said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
Del-Toro wasn't being superlative, this is just how he talks; "Oh thanks grandma! I fucking love cookies!"
No kidding, Del-Toro would probably say fuck fifteen times in his grandmother's eulogy and not notice.
In that case, the man is awesome.

Buchichu

Apr 2, 2010
if you're fans, see The Orphanage and The Devil's Backbone, which are much better than Pan's Labyrinth but got little promotion over here.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
My faith is getting stronger in this guy...he might actually pull it off.