Guillermo del Toro Pitching a DC Supernatural Movie

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Guillermo del Toro Pitching a DC Supernatural Movie

The famed Hellboy director wants to put most of DC's supernatural roster in a single movie.

Ever since Marvel Studios turned The Avengers into a Hollywood blockbuster, comic fans and film critics alike wondered how DC would respond. A Justice League movie is practically guaranteed, but more will be needed if Warner Bros. wants its own cinematic comic-book universe. DC's catalog has no shortage of characters and stories to draw from, but how can Warner Bros. produce superhero movies that stand apart? Guillermo del Toro has one suggestion that steps outside of the traditional superhero model altogether. The Hellboy director wants to produce Dark Universe, a movie that would bring magic-based characters like Deadman, John Constantine, and the Spectre into a single supernatural story.

"I'm writing the outline and we're already in talks with a writer," del Toro confirmed in an interview with IGN. "A very, very good writer. I think people are going to be happy with who we have chosen. And he accepted."

Dark Universe bears some resemblance to Justice League Dark, a comic book that pits DC's supernatural heroes against magical threats that the regular League can't handle. The characters Dark depicts were a major part of DC's Vertigo line in the 80s, and served as an inspiration to a young del Toro. "You're talking about my childhood," he jokes. "Swamp Thing, for me, is a rock star ... the Jack Kirby Demon Etrigran is amazing. And then you go to Constantine, who I thought was an amazing creation... [Dark Universe is] really really a lot of work, but a lot of fun."

Del Toro is keeping Dark Universe's plot a secret, but confirmed that Deadman, Zatanna Zatara, and the Spectre all have a place in the story. Del Toro also emphasized a desire to closely follow the comic book versions of the characters, as opposed to <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantine_%28film%29>certain backstory-altering film adaptations we could name. Producing such a niche project ten years ago would have been an impossibility, but in light of The Avengers and Justice League Dark's successes, Dark Universe may actually have a chance of coming to the big screen.

Source: <a href=http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/01/07/guillermo-del-toro-talks-dark-universe-his-dc-comics-supernatural-heroes-movie>IGN
Image: <a href=http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/life/comics/story/2012-05-21/Jeff-Lemire-Justice-League-Dark-comic-book-series/55112792/1>USA Today

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
If he makes a real John Constantine movie then I will give him all the money that has ever exsisted in the history of the universe!

The only movie I want more than this is a Doctor Strange movie.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
This might actually be a better idea for DC since it would mean not having to fight against Avengers directly. That said, most of those characters aren't exactly well known outside of comic book circles, so they'd have to make absolutely certain it was a great movie instead of just an OK movie. At this point The Dark Knight Eats A Sandwich would be a blockbuster hit, but the rest of DC has quite a lot of catching up to do before people will go see one just for relatively obscure characters. (Relative to Superman and Batman I mean)

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
They're keeping the writer secret.

Guys...what if it's Gaiman? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I was going to have a good laugh at the thought of John Constantine appearing in a superhero movie - and then I remembered he already has. I think my subconscious mind just rebels at the thought that that movie exists.

Poor old DC. They've really missed the boat this time. Must make them nostalgic for the days when Marvel's movies were almost always terrible.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
NOt to be a dick but this news is old as hell. I made a thread about it like 2 months ago.

Still hyped tough, just hope the pull off Dr Fate

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Do it! ... but it doesn't sound like they're going to do the establishing films thing, so I'm a little worried about everyone having enough character

Mar 20, 2010
What in the shit is going on? 3 dimensional Pokemon, Hints on Fallout sequel and a Del Toro directed movie about the most interesing characters of DC. Seriously What is going on?

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Gabanuka said:
NOt to be a dick but this news is old as hell. I made a thread about it like 2 months ago.

There were rumors, but this appears to be the first time del Toro has confirmed it in an interview.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
I liked the Hellboy movies (heaven't read the comics), so I'd love for this to work out. And to be better than Justice League Dark, which was dreadful under Milligan and is kind-of-okay-I-guess under Lemire.

Pity John Constantine can't just get his own proper movie, though.

Pickapok

Eater of Doughnuts
May 17, 2011
Finger crossed for Dream to somehow be involved. Hollywood needs it some Sandman.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
As I understand it, Constantine was actually never supposed to be about John Constantine. I remember reading somewhere that the film was originally written as an original story, but it bore some similarities to the John Constantine from comics, so Warner Bros. slapped Constantine's name on it as a quick cash-in.

Also,
Pickapok said:
Finger crossed for Dream to somehow be involved. Hollywood needs it some Sandman.
no. I've read what Niel Gaimon wrote about the last time Hollywood tried to do The Sandman. I don't want to see the greatest comic book character fucked over like that.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Gabanuka said:

Agreed, Dr. Fate is severely underrated.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
RJ Dalton said:
As I understand it, Constantine was actually never supposed to be about John Constantine. I remember reading somewhere that the film was originally written as an original story, but it bore some similarities to the John Constantine from comics, so Warner Bros. slapped Constantine's name on it as a quick cash-in.

Also,
Pickapok said:
no. I've read what Niel Gaimon wrote about the last time Hollywood tried to do The Sandman. I don't want to see the greatest comic book character fucked over like that.
I do agree for the most part, as it would be nearly impossible to pull off that whole saga into anything that remotely does justice to the Sandman GN's.

But... i'm always intrigued by the "what if" and "how could..." questions and the big "who to do it...".

Only because i love great concepts seeing new ways to reach their audience.

For instance... most people didn't think watchmen would be possible. I know a lot of people were pissed off about the changes and what not to the story, but i think it was brilliantly done. The ending of the GN i really do not think could have been done in cinema, the back story was way to complex to fit into a 2hr-ish film adaptation, and without it the ending would have been like the movie version of "IT"'s ending. Just leaving you going "eh? WTF was THAT????" Without subtext and back story the ending was atrocious and a big let down, and Watchmen would have been the same.

Anyways getting sidetracked:

I'm not well versed in the history of all these characters, but the concept sounds good. And although sometimes Del Toro's films are a little slow, and sometimes miss their execution, i always appreciate the direction he takes his projects. So i'm glad he's behind this, and i look forward to seeing who the writer is. Gaiman wouldn't be out of the question, seems to be a while since he has been involved in a film project so maybe he's getting itchy... would be good :)

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Fanghawk said:
Producing such a niche project ten years ago would have been an impossibility, but in light of The Avengers and Justice League Dark's successes, Dark Universe may actually have a chance of coming to the big screen.
Marvel is making a Guardians of the Galaxy film. At that point anything is possible.

No one in the known universe saw that one coming. Not even MovieBob.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Froggy Slayer said:
They're keeping the writer secret.

Guys...what if it's Gaiman? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I'm squee-ing internally right now.

I hope it is. That guy is a genius. And it would be right up his alley...