Guillermo del Toro: Studios "Not Interested" in Hellboy III

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Guillermo del Toro: Studios "Not Interested" in Hellboy III

In a Reddit AMA, director Guillermo del Toro speaks out on what Hellboy III would have been like if it was made, and confirms it's "not on the horizon.""

While Hellboy himself, Ron Perlman, says director Guillermo del Toro "owes it to the world" to finish the Hellboy trilogy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123582-Ron-Perlman-Says-Hellboy-III-Must-Happen], , it seems it really is not happening anytime soon regardless if fans want it. Over on Reddit, del Toro held an AMA (Ask Me Anything) session and for obvious reasons, was asked by fans why he's still not making Hellboy III, since fans have been clamoring for it. Well, del Toro went straight to it and pointed out that studios are not interested in backing it financially.

It is a question that I myself ask of the world many times, but we have gone through basically every studio and asked for financing, and they are not interested. I think that the first movie made its budget back, and a little bit of profit, but then it was very very big on video and DVD. The story repeated itself with the second already, it made its money back at the box office, but a small margin of profit in the release of the theatrical print, but was very very big on DVD and video. Sadly now from a business point of view all the studios know is that you don't have that safety net of the DVD and video, so they view the project as dangerous.

Creatively, I would love to make it. Creatively. But it is proven almost impossible to finance. Not from MY side, but from the studio side. If I was a multimillionaire, I would finance it myself, but I spend all my money on rubber monsters.

In the same AMA, del Toro admits that Hellboy III is not "on the horizon," but did speak out on plot details where he was taking the trilogy-capping film, which is most likely the best thing fans can hope for right now.

Well, you know, we don't have that movie on the horizon, but the idea for it was to have Hellboy finally come to terms with the fact that his destiny, his inevitable destiny, is to become the beast of the Apocalypse, and having him and Liz face the sort of, that part of his nature, and he has to do it, in order to be able to ironically vanquish the foe that he has to face in the 3rd film. He has to become the best of the Apocalypse to be able to defend humanity, but at the same time he becomes a much darker being. It's a very interesting ending to the series, but I don't think it will happen.

I believe that each generation demands a little shift technologically on the effects. For my generation, we experienced a transition from the beauty, the handmade beauty, of Ray Harryhausen's majestic stop-motion, into the CGI animation that we are experiencing now. I believe that it's the duty of every filmmaker and storyteller to try to bring as much reality as physically and economically possible to an FX sequence. I myself am incredibly oriented to physical sets, rather than doing green screen, whenever the sets are physically possible, and I try to always find a physical FX equivalent in a solution to a filmmaking problem, regardless of it having to be a little bit more time consuming or less easy to shoot, I think it's incredibly important to do it, the last movie I just did, Crimson Peak, and in many ways The Strain the series, were executed largely with practical FX, and only in the instances in which you cannot do it with physical FX should you resort to digital FX. They should never be used as a shortcut, as a lazy shortcut. They should always be used when the ultimate solution is to convey that you need.

Well, there you have it, Hellboy fans. But hey, at least this way, we kind of had a little bit of closure on what Hellboy III was going to be, right? Anyone disappointed with this news? And honestly, do you think Hellboy III would have made a dent at the box office?

Source: SuperHeroHype [http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2agklw/i_am_guillermo_del_toro_director_writer_producer/]

dharmaBum0

Mar 17, 2012
"Hellboy made a lot of money. Hellboy 2 made a lot of money. But we don't understand how Hellboy 3 would make a lot of money."

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I think, given his recent success, and the rise of the 'super hero' movies...
Hellboy 3 COULD workout even BETTER than last time.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
These films got me into the comics and I do love me some Del Toro/Perlman... this is grim news... but not surprising.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Tanis said:
I think, given his recent success, and the rise of the 'super hero' movies...
Hellboy 3 COULD workout even BETTER than last time.
And given those two things, it's even more baffling that nobody wants to invest.

Plus, Ron Perlman. Who doesn't love Ron Perlman? Aliens, that's who!

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
"I spend all my money on rubber monsters." I already liked Del Toro a LOT. But my respect for him just soared! And my respect for Hollywood continues to plummet.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
With the Avengers cleaning up I dont see how it wouldnt get financed.

If someone will back Antman? Guardians of the Galaxy I love but no one has heard of it. How did it get backing when Hellboy III can't and where is Nova while were asking questions?

It makes no sense to me.

Jeremy Dawkins

Oct 17, 2011
The only reason I can think of why this is risky, Is that this is not a Marvel or DC comics property, and no one wants to compete with the studios already making superhero movies. I would totally see the next Hellboy movie as I currently own and love all 4. (Two of them are animated movies.)

acillies45

Feb 25, 2009
They should put a kickstarter together. Not sure if it would make enough, but who knows? If enough fans wanted it, I bet it could happen.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
acillies45 said:
They should put a kickstarter together. Not sure if it would make enough, but who knows? If enough fans wanted it, I bet it could happen.
This man gets it. Hell, kickstart a portion of the movie, which saves the studios a bit of money, and then they front the rest. They still get back what they put in, and Del Toro doesn't have to lose out on his beautiful creations.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
klaynexas3 said:
acillies45 said:
This man gets it. Hell, kickstart a portion of the movie, which saves the studios a bit of money, and then they front the rest. They still get back what they put in, and Del Toro doesn't have to lose out on his beautiful creations.
As amazing as that would be, considering that the last movie's budget pushed past 80 million, I highly doubt that even a record-breaking Kickstarter would produce nearly enough money to well, kickstart much of anything.

acillies45

Feb 25, 2009
Mahorfeus said:
klaynexas3 said:
acillies45 said:
As amazing as that would be, considering that the last movie's budget pushed past 80 million, I highly doubt that even a record-breaking Kickstarter would produce nearly enough money to well, kickstart much of anything.
Well even if it didn't completely pay for it, it may show the studios that there is a big interest in it. And if not, nothing lost.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
dharmaBum0 said:
"Hellboy made a lot of money. Hellboy 2 made a lot of money. But we don't understand how Hellboy 3 would make a lot of money."
I think what he meant was that the first 2 movies only made a lot of profit through DVD sales, and the DVD market isn't exactly thriving these days, so if he made a third movie he would recoup the money at best.

Akiraking

Jan 7, 2012
The problem is honestly is it is like the Hulk movies, they do make their money back but not a lot more, because of this they are not deemed safe bets to create. If you fund a movie for 80 million dollars and you only make 90 or 100 back then you have taken two to three years to make the company a tiny fraction of the original budget as profit. Also people don't seem to like super heroes unless they are nice looking humans trying to save the world and get the girl.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
dharmaBum0 said:
"In a climate where marvel is making money from super hero movies hand over fist, and a space adventure film of a talking raccoon and his buddy tree is the most anticipated movie of the year. How can you not understand!?"

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Anyone who didn't go to see Hellboy 1 or 2 in theaters should be ashamed, also on a personal note from me; fuck you.

Two of the best comic movies ever made and their will never be a third because of people having terrible terrible tastes in movies as always. Fucking transformers 4 making so much god damn money pisses me off so much.

Also man hollywood people are as dense as always.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
This really is sad. I'm actually really annoyed that subpar super hero movies with thin plots will make mountains of money but this one won't even be given a chance.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I would have seen it, and I haven't seen a movie in theaters in over 3 years.

I also would have seen At the Mountains of Madness, but that too will not be made.