Guilty Gear Strive

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

You know the deal: New trailer; dumb, awesome Engrish song.

GG now has stage transitions and a new samurai character! I'm in! Funny thing, I just picked up GG Xrd Rev 2 for $20. That was on the back burner for a long while. Arc System really stepped up their game. Hopefully, they won't rely too much on seasons/Micro-transx like they did for some of their games *cough cough* Cross Tag Battle.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Every character in cross tag is free due to being evo actually, you can get em all even if you don't own the game.

But yeah, GG is back after two long years, as good as DBFZ was, it was a simplified game overall so I am happy they brought back their main series. Also Sol's sword looks a lot like Order Sol's sword from Accent Core, which was my old main, so I'm terribly hype.

Not sure if I like Ky with short hair again but his buff build is an interesting evolution, those gear genes sure work though haha.

Dunno how much I like the transitions and all those dust-like angles on normal hits, they work in dbfz cause they only occur during killing blows and with specific hits, Ky just did a 2 hit string and it launched Sol across the stage though, hopefully it's not too prominent. But yeah Sol has air bandit bringer which is insane haha, definitely hype as hell. Oh and the Samurai dude in the end should be voiced by Akio Otsuka, definitely gonna be hype.

Finally, if you got rev 2 on psn, we organize matches through messenger apps (discord etc.) but if you find it dead I could play a couple sets with you sometime, hit me up if you're interested. I main Sin and sub Answer/Jam/Ramlethal/Dizzy/Venom. :D

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dreiko said:
Every character in cross tag is free due to being evo actually, you can get em all even if you don't own the game.
Only Yang and Blake are free. I just checked psn and the character packs are 4.99 with Vol. 1-7 being 19.99. I know the game discounted now, but that is still a major issue when the majority of the sprites are reused asssets and are not new.

Dreiko said:
But yeah, GG is back after two long years, as good as DBFZ was, it was a simplified game overall so I am happy they brought back their main series. Also Sol's sword looks a lot like Order Sol's sword from Accent Core, which was my old main, so I'm terribly hype.

Not sure if I like Ky with short hair again but his buff build is an interesting evolution, those gear genes sure work though haha.

Dunno how much I like the transitions and all those dust-like angles on normal hits, they work in dbfz cause they only occur during killing blows and with specific hits, Ky just did a 2 hit string and it launched Sol across the stage though, hopefully it's not too prominent. But yeah Sol has air bandit bringer which is insane haha, definitely hype as hell. Oh and the Samurai dude in the end should be voiced by Akio Otsuka, definitely gonna be hype.

Finally, if you got rev 2 on psn, we organize matches through messenger apps (discord etc.) but if you find it dead I could play a couple sets with you sometime, hit me up if you're interested. I main Sin and sub Answer/Jam/Ramlethal/Dizzy/Venom. :D
I'll take you on that offer when I spend more time on the game. I'll be sure to pm you.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
CoCage said:
Dreiko said:
Only Yang and Blake are free. I just checked psn and the character packs are 4.99 with Vol. 1-7 being 19.99. I know the game discounted now, but that is still a major issue when the majority of the sprites are reused asssets and are not new.
You may have just missed the offer by like, a day, but they were all definitely free during evo. They do a lot of these offers for these games during evo, for example UNIST was on f2p for PC as well. I mod the discord for the game so I'm up to date with those things. I may have to start posting these deals here in the future cause it's a pity to miss out on all those free chars.

But yeah when you're up for it hit me up, I'm always up for training new folks, also if you want a discord link I can post that as well.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
CoCage said:
Dreiko said:
the majority of the sprites are reused asssets and are not new.
Would it be annoyingly nitpicky to point out those aren't sprites. Which I've now done, so the question is kind of moot.

Anyway, yeah, fully polygonal 3d models custom shaded and animated to look like really high-fidelity sprites.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Chimpzy said:
Would it be annoyingly nitpicky to point out those aren't sprites. Which I've now done, so the question is kind of moot.

Anyway, yeah, fully polygonal 3d models custom shaded and animated to look like really high-fidelity sprites.
He's referring to BBTAG there which is actually 2D sprites unlike Xrd.

Lufia Erim said:
I hope GG2020 is a ps5 launch title.
Definitely gonna be out before the ps5 since they'd want it to be out before next evo. Though it being multiplat is not a big issue since Xrd had always been available for ps3 and ps4 both and didn't look all that much worse on ps3 since their graphical style is not very power-intensive and relies on their frame by frame shading. Due to that, DBFZ which is their best looking game up to date is under 10 gigs in size lol.

Oh and there always was cross play between ps3 and ps4 too so an eventual ps5 release in the future wouldn't be an issue at all.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Looks fantastic.

I'm bad at Guilty Gear, but I still buy these games because holy shit that art.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Dirty Hipsters said:
Looks fantastic.

Everyone's bad at first, that's normal. It takes a lot of time to get good, as long as you're having fun and enjoy these gorgeous visuals that's all that counts.

Nobody is doing this stuff on their first day:

Just being impressed with it and striving for it is all you need. Just play and you'll end up being good before you know it.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Dreiko said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
Looks fantastic.

Everyone's bad at first, that's normal. It takes a lot of time to get good, as long as you're having fun and enjoy these gorgeous visuals that's all that counts.

Just being impressed with it and striving for it is all you need. Just play and you'll end up being good before you know it.
I don't have the time to put in to get good, which is unfortunate. I only have time to learn 2 multiplayer/competitive games at any given time and fighting games just don't tend to be my preferred genre because I prefer games that don't have input as a barrier to entry. It's easier to get to a decent competitive level faster if you don't have to develop new muscle memory for a new input style.

I did play Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2 a bit when it came out. Even played a few rounds at an arcade in japan against some salary men when I was there on vacation last year and didn't get completely stomped. Only character that I can play semi-competently is Jack-O though.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Dirty Hipsters said:
Dreiko said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
Looks fantastic.

I don't have the time to put in to get good, which is unfortunate. I only have time to learn 2 multiplayer/competitive games at any given time and fighting games just don't tend to be my preferred genre because I prefer games that don't have input as a barrier to entry. It's easier to get to a decent competitive level faster if you don't have to develop new muscle memory for a new input style.

I did play Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2 a bit when it came out. Even played a few rounds at an arcade in japan against some salary men when I was there on vacation last year and didn't get completely stomped. Only character that I can play semi-competently is Jack-O though.
Jack-O definitely has easy inputs with her single direction DP and 214 super input....but is actually one of the more complex chars in the game cause you have 3 gauges to manage, one per house, on top of using meter for some of her regular special moves, requiring higher than average meter management too. Then you need to learn the patterns of attack of all her minions because they go by automatic intervals and you want to adjust your strings accordingly. All in all, she's very easy on a very low level but is actually tricky compared to someone like Sol or Ky when played properly.

The way I'd explain it is that once you learn how to do inputs in any one game you just know them forever more, for every fighting game that will ever come to be. Whereas learning a character is many many times more complicated and takes tens of times longer.

That being the case, if you enjoy a character and feel the inputs are the only thing holding you back you do really wanna stick with them anyways. I used to play Order Sol but since he's not in Xrd I picked Sin whose food meter is sorta kinda like Order Sol's heat gauge but his actual gameplay is completely different, Sin is more high damage long range and spacing and not rushdown insanity, so I had to learn everything from scratch but since I liked him it was fun doing so.

Then with revelator 2 they gave me a ninja who kinda sorta has some elements similar to Bang from BB (my all time favorite) so I put a lot of time into Answer, he's a high effort low reward character but his mobility is just so much fun and everything he does looks cool so it's worth it in the end :D.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
CoCage said:
Max's got a new analysis video:

Max really isn't the guy to listen to for airdashers (what people call "anime" games derisively) I remember him quitting Xrd Sign for freaking Injustice! lmao

He basically doesn't have the interest or level of devotion to get to a place with the game where he understands it and relies on basic fundamentals which will allow you to beat total beginners who join your stream room just to fight their favorite celebrity but whenever he fights anyone semi-decent he gets blown up. You don't have to take my word for it either, here's video footage (and this was my first time touching netplay with this game while he had been playing for a while XD):

https://youtu.be/qslQFOaAbOM?t=616

(not sure how to post a timestamped vid here lol)

So yeah, it's good to take what he says about these games with a generous grain of salt.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dreiko said:
CoCage said:

Max really isn't the guy to listen to for airdashers (what people call "anime" games derisively) I remember him quitting Xrd Sign for freaking Injustice! lmao

He basically doesn't have the interest or level of devotion to get to a place with the game where he understands it and relies on basic fundamentals which will allow you to beat total beginners who join your stream room just to fight their favorite celebrity but whenever he fights anyone semi-decent he gets blown up. You don't have to take my word for it either, here's video footage (and this was my first time touching netplay with this game while he had been playing for a while XD):

So yeah, it's good to take what he says about these games with a generous grain of salt.
I never said Max is perfect or right about everything. There are times where he has been factually wrong before, and plenty of his fans have pointed this out. Simmons can even be worse in this regard when he starts insulting people for their tastes in anime, when his aren't that much better or in some cases worse.

Plus, people lose or gain interest in a game all the time. Max stuck with Guilty Gear for a good while. He latter dropped Injustice 2 for MK11, SFV, and Cross Tag Battle. CTB he played for a month, only to drop it (not that I exactly blame him) to continue playing MK11 and later Samurai Showdown. And right now, it's more SamSho, Killer Instinct, and some SFV. This is nothing new to Max's channel. He'll pick Rev 2 again at some point to get hype for the new GG. To me, him quitting GG to play Injustice is not that big a deal. I say this, and I don't even care for the Injustice games.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
CoCage said:
Dreiko said:
CoCage said:

I never said Max is perfect or right about everything. There are times where he has been factually wrong before, and plenty of his fans have pointed this out. Simmons can even be worse in this regard when he starts insulting people for their tastes in anime, when his aren't that much better or in some cases worse.

Plus, people lose or gain interest in a game all the time. Max stuck with Guilty Gear for a good while. He latter dropped Injustice 2 for MK11, SFV, and Cross Tag Battle. CTB he played for a month, only to drop it (not that I exactly blame him) to continue playing MK11 and later Samurai Showdown. And right now, it's more SamSho, Killer Instinct, and some SFV. This is nothing new to Max's channel. He'll pick Rev 2 again at some point to get hype for the new GG. To me, him quitting GG to play Injustice is not that big a deal. I say this, and I don't even care for the Injustice games.
See, the thing with Injustice in particular was that Injustice 1 had terrible netcode and up to that point his main complaint about keeping up with a game or not was whether or not the netcode was functional. So when you have a situation like with Xrd which has excellent netcode and he ends up dropping it for a game with terrible netcode, that makes everything else he has said prior to that point come into question. This is just my opinion from this point forward but I believed that to be him merely playing the game with the larger profile/audience and the larger bad player community, one where you don't need to put effort to be able to project an aura of skill through defeating the hordes of bad players that make up its community, whereas in GG where the average player's skill is many times higher he was being exposed for too long and wasn't willing to keep playing despite that.

Simmons is trolling half the time, especially with his more over the top remarks, and is not pretending to be some fighting game connoisseur but just some guy with opinions so his words are not taken as gospel like Max's. He doesn't have to be as responsible about what he says, the standard is different for him. Meanwhile there's a lot of people who take things Max says as the law, and in order to balance that out I'm making these points here.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dreiko said:
CoCage said:
Dreiko said:
CoCage said:

See, the thing with Injustice in particular was that Injustice 1 had terrible netcode and up to that point his main complaint about keeping up with a game or not was whether or not the netcode was functional. So when you have a situation like with Xrd which has excellent netcode and he ends up dropping it for a game with terrible netcode, that makes everything else he has said prior to that point come into question. This is just my opinion from this point forward but I believed that to be him merely playing the game with the larger profile/audience and the larger bad player community, one where you don't need to put effort to be able to project an aura of skill through defeating the hordes of bad players that make up its community, whereas in GG where the average player's skill is many times higher he was being exposed for too long and wasn't willing to keep playing despite that.

Simmons is trolling half the time, especially with his more over the top remarks, and is not pretending to be some fighting game connoisseur but just some guy with opinions so his words are not taken as gospel like Max's. He doesn't have to be as responsible about what he says, the standard is different for him. Meanwhile there's a lot of people who take things Max says as the law, and in order to balance that out I'm making these points here.
I was referring to Simmons in general and not just fighting games. Ok...it's trolling half the time, but that still doesn't change the fact that the trolling is not good or he has consensus opinions that he stays like they're facts. what doesn't help is that he brings some of these opinions unprovoked most of the time. Sometimes the chat on twitchhad does start it, but Simmons ain't helping much with matters either.

As for Max, you have a point when it comes to the original Injustice , but once again parts of his own fan base has called him out on it. And while he does need take responsibility, it's also the responsibility of the consumers/viewers to decide for themselves. If they look at one source entirely, that's their problem. I at least try to look at multiple sources for most games. As much as I like Max, I try not to rely on him constantly and that's an easy job for me.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Now called GG Strive. This game makes me want to buy an arcade stick. The visuals are like an oil painting in motion.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm still hoping that Elphelt shows up, but its looking awesome. All I need to see is a steam release.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
So, this game is extremely divisive, and it's kinda depressing to see it in this state, but they said they're listening to feedback and everything you see is subject to change so with the release date being a full year away I am cautiously optimistic that arcsys will fix the various issues we can see in the current state of the game. Stuff like instant blocking not affecting blockstun any longer and P and K normals not chaining into Slash and Heavy Slash is just incomprehensibly bizzare at this point and everything resetting you to neutral and corner combos being limited by a wallbreak system which launches your foe to a different stage in neutral as opposed to letting you apply okizeme is just...not GG at all. Also the new grabs are weird-feeling too but I'm willing to allow that one cause people who don't play GG are always stumped by GG grabs for a good month or so into their practice. All in all, a lot of these changes seem to be making GG play less like GG and more like other non-GG games, which feels odd. The game doesn't feel like an evolution and every character of the ones shown so far feels like a more limited version of their Xrd selves when you play them, as opposed to a new evolution that befits the new game. Might as well make a new ip like how they did it with blazblue if you'll go that way and change the feel of the game so thoroguhly. Hopefully they'll adjust things moving forward.

Not all is bad though, I like the streamlining of the rc system and replacing dead angle attacks with guard cancel rc since it's all tied to one system, also the new angles for counterhits off of heavy buttons are really badass and help with hitconfirming a ton. Oh and of course the visuals are out of this world incredible. We thought Xrd was the pinnacle but they can get even better apparently lol.

Here's some actual gameplay btw and not just trailer stuff: