BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Squilookle said:
That is indeed some pretty well done art.
Agreed. Arc System almost always out do themselves with every new game, GG or otherwise.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Japan expo had a 2 hour stream from arcsys about Strive, lots of stuff being talked and also a lot of good match footage. They had some veteran character masters playing this time around such as Summit, Ain, and Frionel, definitely worth a watch for anyone hype about GG.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Millia and Zato are confirmed! (wow does little Eddie look different now or what, he had whatever Faust had it seems lol)

Also, super important, the closed beta test registration is up, so everyone should register for a chance to get their hand on this game next month!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Still waiting on news for Elphelt.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Worgen said:
Right now they're busy announcing the original chars (still need Baiken and Johnny if not also Justice and Kliff) so for the Sign originals there'll likely be some time before they get announced, if they're even included. As a Sin main I have low expectations here, since I'm still waiting for them to put my AC main, Order Sol, in Xrd. (and there's prolly not gonna be a rev 3 for a long while, if ever)

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Dreiko said:
Worgen said:
Right now they're busy announcing the original chars (still need Baiken and Johnny if not also Justice and Kliff) so for the Sign originals there'll likely be some time before they get announced, if they're even included. As a Sin main I have low expectations here, since I'm still waiting for them to put my AC main, Order Sol, in Xrd. (and there's prolly not gonna be a rev 3 for a long while, if ever)
Wasn't Kliff just in the very first game? Didn't they actually kill him off? Same with Justice?

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Worgen said:
Dreiko said:
Worgen said:
Wasn't Kliff just in the very first game? Didn't they actually kill him off? Same with Justice?
Yeah but he was in AC and in AC+R they adjusted both his and Justice's balancing to make them viable combatants who were not banned from tourneys. Justice had been back as an army of clones for a while now, so it's not the "original" Justice from GG1, she just got brought back to life in rev 2 haha. In fact, Sin plays like a mix of Kliff and Order Sol in Xrd, which is why I gravitated to him. He has a lot of fun mechanics like his taunt being an insult that has actual hibox with the letters from his speech bubble or his dodge being a sway that's rough on his back so if he does it one too many times he fails to dodge cause his back cramps up, kinda like how Sin starves if you do a special without any food.

Here's what they're like in their latest iterations:

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
They just started handing out the Beta Test codes! Check your emails folks. Beta starts in 2.5 days!

I managed to get in, so hype. Time to learn what the game really smells like.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Dreiko said:
They just started handing out the Beta Test codes! Check your emails folks. Beta starts in 2.5 days!

What was your impression of GG strive? I know you seem to be the " anime fighter" guy around here. What are your unfiltered thoughts?

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Lufia Erim said:
Dreiko said:

What was your impression of GG strive? I know you seem to be the " anime fighter" guy around here. What are your unfiltered thoughts?
I'll give you the short version of the thing I put in the survey that came with the beta.

The game is amazingly beautiful and stilted in equal measure. Everything you used to be able to do is now harder to do in some way but the reward is just much higher so you need to do fewer things. I think their goal was to try and tone down how insane things got but what you end up with is extra limitations to maneuver around and once you do you end up overpowering your foe extremely quickly.

For every thing they simplified which actually makes the game easier to play there's another 3 things they added for the same goal that feel like obstacles preventing you from playing the game the way you want to. Main issue is the way the gatlings don't chain together like normal any more (it's like every character is Slayer now) and that when you hit someone in the corner you gotta count how much you have damaged the wall to avoid breaking it which while it's supposed to be a very hype launcher into another stage actually is a punishment for the attacker because it returns you to neutral from a situation you're supposed to have wakeup pressure advantage.

Also the new airdash seems designed to nerf air-neutral. It's great for mixups cause it's so sudden but that delay they gave it makes using it for regular mobility pretty bad.

I like how the new RC works and it fixes the issue with neutral YRC in Xrd cause this time it won't slow you down if you're not close to them and it always costs 50 meter, though changing the grabs to the dust button and making every attack air blockable and removing the blockstun reduction from instant blocking all feel bizarre choices which just make the game weird to play if you're used to it and not particularly easier for people who aren't. I don't mind the whiff animation on the grabs but I've been grabbing with my H button for 10 years so don't change it to dust please x.x.

Anyhow, outside of all these issues the game is fun and you can have cool things happen, music is incredible too. Here's some of my matches with the beta.

I was using Chipp cause unlike everyone else his kick button would actually gatling to itself and to 2D (P doesnn't go to 2D sadly) so that felt the closest to a normal GG char. He got a lot of cool things to work with like clones and a ferret summon on his dust and his new wall-run combos are absolutely amazing and give me hope for this game like nothing else, but yeah he literally dies in 2 potemkin busters now cause damage is so absurdly high.