Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
And it's only for those that pre-order digitally. I won't be playing then, because I preordered my game physical. I ain't driving another 60 bucks for a beta. Let me know how it is.
Nah that's just the extra day, it's an open beta for everyone, preorders just get it a day ahead.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Here's some brand new gameplay, first thing we see in the last half year or so!

(Yes, Ky is gearfied there all right, he stole Sol's dragon install! the audacity)

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Here's some brand new gameplay, first thing we see in the last half year or so!

(Yes, Ky is gearfied there all right, he stole Sol's dragon install! the audacity)
Looks really good, though I'll likely wait until the inevitable second or third release which will have a bigger roster and balance changes.

Axel looks better than he ever has.

Watching the match with Nagobiyuki, does his teleport not cross up?

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Looks really good, though I'll likely wait until the inevitable second or third release which will have a bunch bigger roster and balance changes.

Axel looks better than he ever has.

Watching the match with Nagobiyuki, does his teleport not cross up?
Yeah Nagori is not Slayer, his teleports are not his dashes, in fact he HAS no dashes, they're just special moves. This is good in that he can cancel attacks with the teleports, even special moves (since he can use blood to cancel specials into eachother) and extend combos that way, but yeah he doesn't do crossups and whatnot with them, his playstyle seems to be just hitting gigantic buttons and hitconfirming every poke into long combos. Though you prolly will be able to get some good throw pressure with the teleport and he does have that one grab that sucks blood as well so I imagine you will still wanna use the dashes to make people jumpy.

And I dunno, I think the best time to jump into the game is when it's brand new since you have way more people to face. By the time the upgraded version is out that other Arcsys fighter based on dungeon fighter online will be coming out as well as who knows what else too. People will be flocking there and the only people on strive will be the vets who've played for the last 15 years and have tens of thousands of matches.

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Bunch more gameplay, Giovanna looking good and damn Axl can stop time without hitting you too. This thing will be very annoying haha.

But yeah main cool thing is how Nagori going berserk actually has a hitbox you can combo into, this changes everything. Even with how much his life drains during berserk you can still make it work. Also I love how it blasts his mask off for the duration of his berserk state and then he puts it back on once he has sucked enough blood with his sword. It's not just a drawback to go berserk as long as you calculate it to happen exactly when you want it to.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Zato trailer came out.

He's by far the best-animated char seen so far. Just so fluid and intricate.

Gameplay-wise he seems very toned down though, maybe he will need to go for more command grab mixups cause invite hell being a mid and all of the eddie moves being mids too (I hoped the frog would be an overhead like the Dolphin in +R) seems pretty bad.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Strive is up for Preorder on Steam. Launches on April 9th.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Ram vid is up next!

She looks super dumbed down, here's hoping her directional normals lead to more sauce. Ram is supposed to be all about that oppressive setplay, not poking you from neutral for high damage single hits lmao.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
So we got Leo and Nagoriyuki gameplay next!

Leo surprisingly looks like more of the same, he got a command grab off of stance but lost the crossup properties and this new ground pound special which may be useful for transitioning into stance.

Nagori looks actually incredible though. They finally showed his berserk-only super and lo and behold it's actually incredible and it lets him exit the state instantly for just some meter, which he doesn't even need to use outside of the mode because he can cancel special to special. Also they showed this one new move (214H) which nobody had used before which is weird because it seems super useful.

All in all great stuff here, will be at least subbing him.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Here is a playlist with all the characters so far. Giovanna now included. Thought it be easier and less redundant to do just that.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I havent played a fighting game since mk11 qt launch. I wonder if i should check this one out.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Bunch more matches this time from IGN.

I havent played a fighting game since mk11 qt launch. I wonder if i should check this one out.
It's getting a free beta next week so might as well. It'll have tutorials and stuff too.

Not sure what sort of games you prefer but this one is prolly gonna be the best airdasher style fighter to come out in a long while.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Bunch more matches this time from IGN.

It's getting a free beta next week so might as well. It'll have tutorials and stuff too.

Not sure what sort of games you prefer but this one is prolly gonna be the best airdasher style fighter to come out in a long while.
I have no idea hat airdashing means. Hell couldn't beat the MK11 tutorial either because the combo tutorial was fucking stupidly complex.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
I have no idea hat airdashing means. Hell couldn't beat the MK11 tutorial either because the combo tutorial was fucking stupidly complex.
When you hit forward twice in quick succession the char moves forward much more quickly than if you just hold forward, think of it like the difference between running and dashing in Sekiro. Some games let you dash infinitely by holding down that second forward input (and allow you to control when to stop dashing), others make the dash a pre-set distance.

Some games incorporate more air mobility in them than others, and some games let you air-block grounded attacks and others don't, which completely changes the dynamic of the game. Included in this category are games in which you can not only air block grounded hits but if you input the grounded dash input while airborne you get a pre-set air-dash that changes your trajectory while mid-jump (so like, I jump forward, grounded guy tries to hit me, I dash back, he misses, I punish his missed hit, tons of options open up), which furthermore completely changes how they play.

A typical game with that system mechanic and generally speaking an anime aesthetic is referred to as an airdasher (or an anime fighter but that's too imprecise and may confuse people into thinking it applies to stuff like those naruto arena battlers and so on).

I legit dunno anything about MK but either way, fighters are complex so you're not supposed to master everything in the tutorial in one go, especially not if you're new. You just wanna do a bit of it to get the gist of the game, then play some matches, then if you have something that you don't understand you revisit that tutorial again, over and over and eventually you'll learn everything. Hell, some people just jump into matches right away and learn as they go. You don't need to understand all the most complex stuff there is, a lot of it is there for the experienced players who already have the basics drilled into their head through thousands of hours of practice and wanna learn how this GG is different than the last 4 of them.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I legit dunno anything about MK but either way, fighters are complex so you're not supposed to master everything in the tutorial in one go, especially not if you're new. You just wanna do a bit of it to get the gist of the game, then play some matches, then if you have something that you don't understand you revisit that tutorial again, over and over and eventually you'll learn everything. Hell, some people just jump into matches right away and learn as they go. You don't need to understand all the most complex stuff there is, a lot of it is there for the experienced players who already have the basics drilled into their head through thousands of hours of practice and wanna learn how this GG is different than the last 4 of them.
Mk11's tutorial has a trophy attached and was one of the only trophies I couldn't get, and it drove me crazy.

I usually just fuck around with fighters when I play them, though Tekken was always my favorite because it was a system I just understood. At least until they added super moves to it. Tekken 7 added all these super attacks and characters with goofy ass stuff (like being able to throw your own head or fucking fly) which imo ruined the core of being pure martial arts fighting that Tekken used to be.

I feel like Tekken's strict martial arts basis made it an easier fighter to understand. The moment you add super moves and projectiles you add so much more complexity to it that it becomes hard for me to understand.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Mk11's tutorial has a trophy attached and was one of the only trophies I couldn't get, and it drove me crazy.

I usually just fuck around with fighters when I play them, though Tekken was always my favorite because it was a system I just understood. At least until they added super moves to it. Tekken 7 added all these super attacks and characters with goofy ass stuff (like being able to throw your own head or fucking fly) which imo ruined the core of being pure martial arts fighting that Tekken used to be.

I feel like Tekken's strict martial arts basis made it an easier fighter to understand. The moment you add super moves and projectiles you add so much more complexity to it that it becomes hard for me to understand.
Tekken is actually a lot more complex than it seems, you have to learn to do the korean backdash for example, and people complain about that and about juggles day and night. Also chars have a million moves so that's just more complex in general, though you can do fine with only using a few of the good ones.

The reason tekken feels easy is that you have really high damage and the attacks are more often than not straightforward enough, so you can kinda get the feel of the flow and no matter what you do you are gonna get similar results, only something like Lei's animal stances or Yoshimitsu stabbing himself or meditating at the wrong moment can really screw you up. At a low level you have very few things to keep in mind.

Though it always had a lot of silly stuff, it had demons shooting lasers and ogre breathing fire and the panda farting on you. Now they just added some more chars who have those like the robot girl with the chainsaw arms but you can still just use the 50 or so other chars who are more standard too.