Guilty Pleasure Games

thetoddo

May 18, 2010
Just wondering if anyone would care to share games that they love that outside of a gaming forum you'd be laughed out of the room for playing.

I'll start:

Final Fantasy X2. The story is terrible, but the battle system is way too fun, the job/class system is almost as good as FF Tactics and the vibrancy of the colors in almost every part of the game just makes me happy.

Viva Pinata. I've put a couple thousand hours into these games, and I feel no shame.

I'd say the pokemon games, but while I've only met a couple other adults who play them obsessively casual browsing of any type of media shows that a LOT of adults out there are right there with me.

You?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
A lot of the Gundam games.

They tend to be kind of, well, shit, but I do like them for some reason.

Tatsuki

Nov 9, 2014
Tokyo Jungle

Most of my friends think it is pointless or get bored quickly when I get them to play co-op with me but I don't know... it is like gaming crack to me.

Mixing it up time to time between being high up in the food chain and murdering everything cute and fluffy to being lower in the food chain and mauling an elephant as a Pomeranian.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Harvest Moon series. I absolutely love those games even tho they are far from what I typically play and my friend was flabbergasted by the fact I enjoy them when I showed him the one on gamecube.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
I suppose the whole 'dating sim' thing comes to mind, the thing is, I'm sure there's at least one, if not several very weird things that I like to play, I just... Somehow can't quite think of any of them when put on the spot...

I mean, on a slightly different kind of note, I'm into simulators... Train Simulator, X-plane, Euro Truck Simulator...

That does sometimes get a bit of a reaction from some...
But... That seems like a slightly different topic.

Let me see if my steam library offers and obvious ones...

Well, let's see... I can't really claim this qualifies, because I haven't played it yet, but I have a game called 'blade kitten' in my steam library... >_> Which appears to be an action game about a catgirl that rides dinosaurs and fights people... XD

You know... I'm just finding it kind of hard to think of anything I've played that I would feel all that weird about admitting to...

Leaving aside that the weirder titles I own are really all things I haven't really played yet, I just don't really see much reason to feel guilty about it... XD

I guess saying I own a lot of Wii games qualifies? XD

Oh, I suppose under the circumstances, and given the series' track record, being a fan of Sonic games probably...

I... Really don't know. XD

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
CrystalShadow said:
I suppose the whole 'dating sim' thing comes to mind, the thing is, I'm sure there's at least one, if not several very weird things that I like to play, I just... Somehow can't quite think of any of them when put on the spot...

I mean, on a slightly different kind of note, I'm into simulators... Train Simulator, X-plane, Euro Truck Simulator...

Well, let's see... I can't really claim this qualifies, because I haven't played it yet, but I have a game called 'blade kitten' in my steam library... >_> Which appears to be an action game about a catgirl that rides dinosaurs and fights people... XD

You know... I'm just finding it kind of hard to think of anything I've played that I would feel all that weird about admitting to...

Leaving aside that the weirder titles I own are really all things I haven't really played yet, I just don't really see much reason to feel guilty about it... XD

Oh, I suppose under the circumstances, and given the series' track record, being a fan of Sonic games probably...

I... Really don't know. XD
I just started trying dating sims/visual novel tho I started with a wtf game called Hatoful boyfriend or whatever the bird game is called. XD

Know any that are not as insane xD

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Veldie said:
CrystalShadow said:

[spoiler = "other stuff"]

I... Really don't know. XD[/spoiler]
I just started trying dating sims/visual novel tho I started with a wtf game called Hatoful boyfriend or whatever the bird game is called. XD

Know any that are not as insane xD
Well now... That's a tough call... I mean, as a genre they're kind of weird...
Though Hatoful Boyfriend takes that to a whole new level...

What actually got me started ages ago was Tokimeki memorial, but that's so old it's hard to find... Not that I even understood any of it, because it's in Japanese and was never translated... XD

And, I play them, sure, but I'm not really the best person to ask about the topic really. When I think about it...

I kind of tend to approach them with extreme caution, because I'm not overly fond of sexual content...
And there's certainly a few that don't go there, but many do, and it's hard to tell from the outset if any particular game is or isn't going to head down that path at some point...

Sorry. Not very helpful I suppose... XD

TheArcaneThinker

Jul 19, 2014
Star Wars : Jedi Academy

The story was there just to be there . The protagonist had no personality . Graphics were decent . Critics showed mixed reviews and pointed out flaws but no one... not one person said one thing about the gameplay , which in my opinion was a 10/10 . The lightsaber combat in the game was awesome and gave me a much better experience than jedi outcast ever gave .
It was just so fun swinging sabers , fighting multiple jedies with other jedies . It was great game . I recommend it to every one who loves smooth gameplay and loves star wars .

This video explains it all . Skip to 4:30 if you want .

TL:DR ? Brilliant combat . Great gameplay .

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
I have no guilt about my gaming. Though I suppose the cooking mama and hello kitty ds games would probably count. I know they're for kids and I'm definitely not one of those.

Harvest moon doesn't count as a guilty pleasure because it is amazing. Or would be if the european versions were not all broken.
Maybe the amount of time I spend making things on minecraft is a cause for some guilt, making epic things is time consuming.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
thetoddo said:
I'll start:

Final Fantasy X2. The story is terrible, but the battle system is way too fun, the job/class system is almost as good as FF Tactics and the vibrancy of the colors in almost every part of the game just makes me happy.
High five brah! You're not alone. Now if only they'd made you actually use it properly (outside of optional bosses) and hadn't buried it in infuriating minigames.

DocJ

What am I doing here?
Jun 3, 2014
I'm gonna say DDR. I enjoy it a lot. Almost too much for what is simply stepping on arrows.

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
My guilty pleasure games are ones I would be laughed at for playing IN a gaming forum to be honest. I have a rather unashamed interest in adult themed games centered on sexuality. I have played games like Sakura Spirit, HuniePop, and even more explicit titles like Sexy Beach 3, and various Ecchi Dating Sims and really enjoyed them.

It's bewildering and a complete shame I think that while violence, gore, death, torture, and the like get vocal defense and acceptance from the gaming community at large, that sexuality and nudity in games is still met with scorn and derision.

It's an extreme values dissonance, and one I'm sure won't get solved, in the meantime I'll grow my thick skin and go play with my waifus.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
thetoddo said:
I'll start:

Viva Pinata. I've put a couple thousand hours into these games, and I feel no shame.

I'd say the pokemon games, but while I've only met a couple other adults who play them obsessively casual browsing of any type of media shows that a LOT of adults out there are right there with me.

You?
Yeeeeeeeeeesss. All of this. The story of FFX-2 plays out like a Saturday morning cartoon and in some ways utterly shits on FFX, but the gameplay is so fun and variable. And sometimes a Saturday morning cartoon is exactly what I'm in the mood for.

Though I wouldn't say Viva Pinata or Pokemon are "guilty pleasure" games. They are definitely designed to be played by children, but the depth for adults is there and they are very well constructed games inside and out. To me, a guilty pleasure game is one that is either bad or very fundamentally flawed in many ways, but you still love it anyway.

Oct 10, 2011
I feel no shame for the games I play, but if I had to pick...

Empire Earth 3. An RTS that many consider to be the worst game ever made by anyone. Totally imbalanced and such a disgrace to the previous games that the developer removed all traces of the game on thier website, before going out of business. And I love it in all of its broken glory.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
I guess my guilty pleasure games are football games like Fifa 2014 and Pro Evolution Soccer 4 and FPS games like Halo. It's definitely not my genre but I just find them really easy to relax to. If I need a break from serious games for a while I can just boot one of them up, put on some music and spend a couple of hours unwinding on them. I don't take them very seriously, or play multiplayer on them (unless its local couch multiplayer against my brothers or my friends because that's equally funny) and I can only play them in short bursts but since they're my relaxation games that's all I need from them.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
I suppose Visual Novels in general?

More specifically, I'd say the Senran Kagura series. The sexy is just a bonus. The real meat for me is...well, I just...I love the characters, even though the combat can be somewhat lackluster and repetitive, the characters are just awesome.

The interactions are perpetually gold, each is a total badass, and their designs are neat. Hikage, Katsuragi, Ikagura, Homura, and Mirai are just <3. So much <3.

Not exactly ashamed of it, but it'd be hard to play in mixed company.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
thetoddo said:
Just wondering if anyone would care to share games that they love that outside of a gaming forum you'd be laughed out of the room for playing.

I'll start:

Snip
Well, I'll throw in another agreement for this. I will also add that Gippal should have had far more screen time than he got.

Anyway, other than that I have absolutely no guilty pleasure games whatsoever. I definitely do not have an unreasonable amount of playtime on Monster Girl Quest and I certainly did not cry at the final scene between Chrome and her sister... Not that I know who those characters are or anything like that.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
In a way, The Sims could count as a guilty pleasure for me. Because it's basically like a dude playing with dolls, which isn't exactly socially acceptable.

Of course, I give sweet FA about such norms, so it's never really a 'guilty' pleasure for me.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Probably the Sniper Elite games. They are pretty shit by most standards but the actual sniping part with the X-ray kill cam is more fun than it has any right to be. The age old question ''can I hit him in the nuts from here'' and seeing it burst like a ripe grapefruit when you 'succeed', disturbingly, never gets old. :p

Now if only they designed an actual good game around this one feat. That would be rad.