Guitar hero Eddie Van Halen has passed away.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
At the age of 65, legendary guitar shredder Eddie Van Halen has lost his battle with throat cancer today.

RIP. He's now off to the Great Gig in the Sky, where arpeggio runs are always smooth and the high E string never breaks.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Sad. Won't claim to know anything about him or his music, but I understand the significant impact he had on music, so this is just sad. 2020: the year that keeps on taking.

Reactions: Chimpzy

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Honestly, I'm really struggling to think of any Van Halen song except the ludicrously famous "Jump". "Why Can't This Be Love", maybe, was Van Halen?

Anyway, sad he's passed, and condolences to his family, friends and fans.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Honestly, I'm really struggling to think of any Van Halen song except the ludicrously famous "Jump". "Why Can't This Be Love", maybe, was Van Halen?

Dreams is the most important Van Halen song. That's the one that made the Power Rangers Movie soundtrack.

Reactions: Jarrito3002

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I was never a big Van Halen fan, but anyone with even a passing interest in music will concede that he had a huge impact on American rock 'n roll.
Dreams is the most important Van Halen song. That's the one that made the Power Rangers Movie soundtrack.
I always thought that song's title was "Higher and Higher".

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Panama and Hot for Teacher are other fairly well known ones. I liked Running with the Devil too.

Anyway, RIP Eddie Van Halen.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Honestly, I'm really struggling to think of any Van Halen song except the ludicrously famous "Jump".
I always found it somewhat ironic that the most famous song of an artist known for his virtuoso hard rock guitar chops is the poppy keyboard driven one.
I was never a big Van Halen fan, but anyone with even a passing interest in music will concede that he had a huge impact on American rock 'n roll.
Same. I actually don't even like most of his music, but there's no denying he and the slews of talented musicians he inspired played a role in redefining what guitar playing can be. In this respect he occupies a similar space in my mind as Jimmy Hendrix or Steve Vai.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
This pesky cancer thing is sure whittling down the human race. People around me are disappearing to it too, though one survived thankfully. You can't take them all, you tricksy biological lottery! Not with covid and gross political negligence to compete with. Or...work with? Shit.

Halen did invent some tricks i think, not entirely sure which ones, but mostly the track Eruption is the first memory that comes to mind, and the slightly related live video that looks like someone booted a kid out on stage to have a fuck around on their shiny new effects pedal to kill a few extra minutes.

Those trousers tho. Totally forgot they were a thing.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not a fan, but may the man rest in peace. It may be just me, but there have been several old rock stars that have been dying for throat or lung cancer. I know the lead singer of Motorhead died from throat cancer.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

They had a pretty long list of radio hits. I will say I don't hear them much, even on the classic rock radio stations, but I don't listen to those very much myself, so they might get played more
I always found it somewhat ironic that the most famous song of an artist known for his virtuoso hard rock guitar chops is the poppy keyboard driven one.
Funny thing, he's also the keyboardist, so that poppy keyboard one you mentioned, is STILL a sign of his overall musical talent. xD

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Not a fan, but may the man rest in peace. It may be just me, but there have been several old rock stars that have been dying for throat or lung cancer. I know the lead singer of Motorhead died from throat cancer.
Because they smoked like fucking chimneys back then. Eddie was kind of infamous for his smoking habits for a long time.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Halen did invent some tricks i think, not entirely sure which ones,
He was a real innovator with guitar effects like flangers and he popularized the technique of breaking up chord progressions with single-note melodies. Tapping was not his invention, but he did bring it to the mainstream. Steve Hackett of Genesis was an earlier pioneer of the technique. Eddie was really unique in that he brought a lot of classical music theory to rock but took it in much more free-wheeling direction.

The jet engine noise on Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love and the elephant trumpet noises on Intruder are examples of how Eddie innovated with his effects pedals.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Indeed. Perhaps as a result of this and not really knowing anything much more by them, I never really thought of Van Halen as hard rock.

I went through a little metal phase when exploring different music styles in my early teens, but hard rock wasn't really ever my sort of music. Unfortunately, for an adolescent male to say he wasn't into Guns N'Roses when I was in my mid-late teens was tantamount to social suicide, so I stayed quiet about that.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Indeed. Perhaps as a result of this and not really knowing anything much more by them, I never really thought of Van Halen as hard rock.

I went through a little metal phase when exploring different music styles in my early teens, but hard rock wasn't really ever my sort of music. Unfortunately, for an adolescent male to say he wasn't into Guns N'Roses when I was in my mid-late teens was tantamount to social suicide, so I stayed quiet about that.
If it's any consolation, something about Axl rubs me the wrong way and I'm a classic rock snob.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I figured that would be it.
A life of sex, drugs and rock n roll takes its toll.
Funny thing, he's also the keyboardist, so that poppy keyboard one you mentioned, is STILL a sign of his overall musical talent. xD
I know. That's what makes it extra juicy.
If it's any consolation, something about Axl rubs me the wrong way and I'm a classic rock snob.
It should. Dude's a massive fucking prick, even by diva rock star standards.

Reactions: happyninja42

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
A life of sex, drugs and rock n roll takes its toll.
Rock star ailments can get weird though. Sammy Hagar once ran out of sperm from too many groupies in his off-stage sex tent (yes, really) and had a dry-gasm. Which is apparently extraordinarily painful.

I mean his voice, too, not just the fact that he's a cartoonish dildo. Talented, but something about the tone turns me off and I couldn't tell you why. Knowing that he's a walking catastrofuck of drama is just further incentive to stay back.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yeah it's pretty typical for that era for the band members to be huge pricks. It's kind of a staple of the 80s rock band trope really, that they are so volatile that over a long duration, they just become huge douchebags and become more hassle than entertainment.

I mean his voice, too, not just the fact that he's a cartoonish dildo. Talented, but something about the tone turns me off and I couldn't tell you why. Knowing that he's a walking catastrofuck of drama is just further incentive to stay back.
Yeah vocals can be a bit hit or miss, especially with the higher range male vocalists. Like, I LOVE RUSH, but a lot of people can't stand Geddy Lee's voice. Which I do find a bit odd, since the most common criticism I see about his singing, is the high pitch of it. But these will be people who equally love OTHER metal/rock bands of the same era, that have high pitched singers. *shrugs* to each their own I guess.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Perhaps he needed some grease.

Axl Rose is, by the most optimistic assessment, more than a little of a knob. But maybe that's part of what he needed to become a rock'n'roll superhero.