Guitar Hero Reality TV Show In The Works?

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Guitar Hero Reality TV Show In The Works?

As if Activision's Guitar Hero franchise weren't already ubiquitous enough, rumor has it that Activision is planning on adapting the game into that ultimate pop culture guilty pleasure: the reality TV show.

Guitar Hero might be making the leap from videogames into other entertainment media with a possible reality show, according to the latest rumors. That's "reality" in quotes, of course, because reality shows are completely manufactured and fake. Anyway.

The rumor [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/guitar-hero-to-become-reality-tv-show] stems from a Reuters report that cited "people familiar with the discussions" that Activision is reportedly having with TV producers. Reuters also quoted Activision CEO Bobby Kotick as saying the game might make for "a good TV show or concert tour," though the report in question has since seemed to disappear from the internet.

Imagine paying money for tickets to a concert where people are playing Guitar Hero on stage. Imagine watching a TV show about a group of hot young Guitar Hero players living in a mansion together and competing for a chance at fake rock stardom. This is the 21st century, ladies and gentlemen.

At the same time, The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i5b8b0ca04d790c4835138114cf7ad927] reports that Activision is also in talks to turn its other two biggest franchises, Call of Duty and World of Warcraft, into movies. Call of Duty seems pretty ripe for a movie, but half the beauty of that game is that it makes you the center of a narrative and not a passive observer. As for WoW, that movie has been in production for some time at Legendary Pictures, which most of you will know from their work on The Dark Knight. Maybe Activision is prodding them to get the ball rolling on that project?

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Hankage said:

Oh dear.
All that needs to be said really. Who on Earth could possibly consider this to be a good idea? It boggles the mind.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
It might encourage more guitar hero games, but all the spider fingered freaks would go on it and kill everyone and no one would ever come back. sounds entertaining :)

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
a show giving contestants delusions of grandeur playing a game that gives players delusions of stardom...a depressingly logical step forward in the cynical exploitation of reality

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Kinda like.. Uhh, I have no idea how to post links with a cute tab...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-CrJMC6H_0&feature=channel_page

That?

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
wait, first Rock Band and LEGO, now Guitar Hero and reality TV shows? What the hell is happening to the Music game genre?!?!?!

Musicfreak

Jan 23, 2009
owww my head hurts from reading this. Reality Tv is bad enough but now you have to make one about guitar hero..... how is that even possible.

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
Guitar Hero show

Bad

CoD movie

Probably decent but might end up generic

Warcraft movie

Hellz yeah!

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009

Really?

Really?

Well, it's no less ridiculous than most of the things I see on TV anyway.

Gildedtongue

Nov 9, 2007
I don't subscribe to television... and each time fecal matter like this threatens the pipes, I'm reaffirmed in my reasoning to not start.

Name Not Found

Apr 16, 2009
This just show how disgusting and pathic our society has become. As if playing Guitar Hero wasn't sad enough already. Lets take people illusions and make a TV show!

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
If they get a couple of hot girls on it, I'll probably watch.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
For me Guitar Hero is like golf, it's fun to play but boring as hell to watch.
That being said I have no idea how this show could possibly be entertaining.