Guitar solo recommendations

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008

It sounds a lot harder than it actually is. It's just triplets and some sweeps.

Maybe this might be a little too hard, but if you can pull it off...

Trust me, this song is easy. I played it for a school project and it will impress. All you need is killer delay.

Stevie Ray Vaughan. Pretty much one of the greatest guitarists of all time.

Tell me if any of these work for you.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
JC175 said:
crazyhaircut94 said:
Then you'll be asked to play a song of choice.
Listen closely, my friend. I can tell that you're into metal, and that's great. But to make sure that you have the best chance of acceptance, you need to play a song that shows as high an understanding of music as possible. If I had to reccomend a song based upon your interests that shows a high degree of skill and musical knowledge, I'd reccomend Guthrie Govan's Wonderful Slippery Thing.

The song is funky, it has both strong metal and jazz influences, and most of all, its a fucking good track melodically. Trust me, the last thing an examiner wants to see is for you to get up there and shred without reason. Speed and control is one thing, melody and composition is another completely.
Right you are, I am a headbanger. But I'm also a lover of most music. I listen to synth, rock, rap, soul and so on. But it's true, I should show some knowledge rather than just playing wildly with no thought. What am I, a drummer? (joke)

Manhattan2112

Jul 5, 2009
You know, I'd tell you to play something by Seventeen Rhinos... but you've never heard of them. They were a local band where I live (wisconsin) that gained radio-fame. Their guitarist was amazing, and the riffs were very memorable. They were an alternative band in the early nineties. If anyone has heard of them, PLEASE tell me!

EDIT: I'm awfully sorry that doesn't help that much. You're probably really good, from what you said you can play. Maybe try some Incubus. (They won't be instrumentals, but they're really hard none the less) Maybe you should learn a song by Coheed and Cambria.
If you want an instrumental, I agree 100% with that... guy, who said "Cliffs of Dover". What are you looking for in particular?

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
popdafoo said:

It sounds a lot harder than it actually is. It's just triplets and some sweeps.

Maybe this might be a little too hard, but if you can pull it off...

Trust me, this song is easy. I played it for a school project and it will impress. All you need is killer delay.

Stevie Ray Vaughan. Pretty much one of the greatest guitarists of all time.

Tell me if any of these work for you.
Damn, that Stevie Ray Vaughan knows how to play! I think we've got a possible winner.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Manhattan2112 said:
You know, I'd tell you to play something by Seventeen Rhinos... but you've never heard of them. They were a local band where I live (wisconsin) that gained radio-fame. Their guitarist was amazing, and the riffs were very memorable. They were an alternative band in the early nineties. If anyone has heard of them, PLEASE tell me!
Any tabs, demo songs, or anything that could be of help?

Manhattan2112

Jul 5, 2009
crazyhaircut94 said:
Manhattan2112 said:
Any tabs, demo songs, or anything that could be of help?
That's just it! There's nothing! You have to buy their album to even hear them, and I'm sure you don't want that. I don't even think you could find it anyway - I know I couldn't. And I've TRIED getting their songs up on my imeem profile, and all the uploads failed. :(

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Manhattan2112 said:
EDIT: I'm awfully sorry that doesn't help that much. You're probably really good, from what you said you can play. Maybe try some Incubus. (They won't be instrumentals, but they're really hard none the less) Maybe you should learn a song by Coheed and Cambria.
If you want an instrumental, I agree 100% with that... guy, who said "Cliffs of Dover". What are you looking for in particular?
Haha, saw the edit the second after I posted the previous. But what I'm looking for is a song that shows my style and shows what I can on guitar. What they're interested in is how I've developed in the time I've played (2 years :D), how good I am at learning, etc. But with the solo part, what they want to see in particular would be my interests and my skill. That's why I showed John 5 on my original post. He's my favourite guitarist, and he really blends metal and country into a nice hybrid.

Manhattan2112

Jul 5, 2009
crazyhaircut94 said:
Manhattan2112 said:
Haha, saw the edit the second after I posted the previous. But what I'm looking for is a song that shows my style and shows what I can on guitar. What they're interested in is how I've developed in the time I've played (2 years :D), how good I am at learning, etc. But with the solo part, what they want to see in particular would be my interests and my skill. That's why I showed John 5 on my original post. He's my favourite guitarist, and he really blends metal and country into a nice hybrid.
Alright, I'll be honest: You're right. That John 5 song is hard, and impressive, and even though it's not necessarily what I'D find myself listening to all the time, it's definitely cool. You should keep practicing it, and eventually, show off your talent.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Manhattan2112 said:
crazyhaircut94 said:
Manhattan2112 said:
Alright, I'll be honest: You're right. That John 5 song is hard, and impressive, and even though it's not necessarily what I'D find myself listening to all the time, it's definitely cool. You should keep practicing it, and eventually, show off your talent.
Which one? First, second, or third?

Manhattan2112

Jul 5, 2009
crazyhaircut94 said:
Manhattan2112 said:
crazyhaircut94 said:
Manhattan2112 said:
I say first. It's very complicated. A little twangy for most, but very technical. It must demonstrate great skill.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Manhattan2112 said:
crazyhaircut94 said:
Manhattan2112 said:
crazyhaircut94 said:
Manhattan2112 said:
I say first. It's very complicated. A little twangy for most, but very technical. It must demonstrate great skill.
If you know what you're doing, it's not really that complicated. What's hard to master, is the rhythm. It changes wildly, and takes much concentration and training. But putting your finger on the right position isn't the magic part of it.

ottenni

Aug 13, 2009
crazyhaircut94 said:
ottenni said:
Try some Tom Morello just to be tricky
I don't think they give me points for messing around with some pedals.
Maybe. Maybe you will be rewarded for being more creative then simply playing the guitar as a stand alone instrument. But maybe thats what they want to see (or hear). It would probably be wisest to play something that reflects your personal style. If thats John 5 then go for it.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
crazyhaircut94 said:
Yay, estetare!

OT: After listening through those John 5 songs, I will just have to say that if you even get close to nailing those songs those judges are simply bound to let you join their school.