Gun Use, and targeting, training and self defence

Andrew_Waltfeld

Jan 7, 2011
manaman said:
Catching criminals is the job of police but most police forces sure, and it would all be great if a cop followed me around 24 hours a day and prevented all harm to me, but how in the world am I supposed to co the cops while the crack head tugging me is stealing my cell phone, and even if I could most cities have response times exceeding 8 minutes.
I totally agree.

Response time in where I live in Maine is roughly 20-25 minutes. If the cop is on the opposite side of the area he patrols, it's more like 40. The more rural you are, the higher the response time. think about that. 20+ MINUTES. Fact is - our police department has only at most 8 officers, 2-3 on duty at all times which cover 4+ small towns but mostly the biggest town Fryeburg.

Yeah sorry when dealing with a situation - you are have mere minutes to decide what your actions are. In most cases during a mugging I would gladly give my wallet - home invasion and I have a gun - well they stepped into the wrong house.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Goldeneye1989 said:
Hello there fellow boys, girls, men and women
This topic is not a new one and there will be many more like this. I dont own a gun, i dont want a gun and i dont think i will ever need a gun. however other people do/think they do, so i was wondering to those people who do use, own and need a gun.

The major argument for the use and requirement for a gun is self defense correct? I will agree with that much, however the Ammo that people use is a concern, Why do you need the projectiles that most people use for self defense. For example the use of non-lethal bullets that cause pain or disorientation to the target rather then a puncture wound. Why not want the use of a Tanq gun instead, non lethal (directly non lethal, however the target would still be vulnerable to their environmental surroundings.) If your not willing to do this do you decide to aim for non-lethal shots or are you trained to so? Aiming for the Arm, leg sholders seems to be more tactical then aiming for the center mass of another person.

Why do you guys think, feel free to rip into me for my lack of knowledge on the subject or my all around Hippyness, i will try to rebuttal to all that i can.
This might have been said so if so, I apologize.

Shooting to wound can get you in more trouble if you 1) miss, giving the suspect a chance to attack or you might hit a bystander 2) The bad guys Lawyers will make the augment that your life was not in danger because you purposely tried to wound (I know, it makes no logical sense but so blood sucking lawyer will try it to get his client off, and be able to sue you, and get you sent to prison)

Also, I know it has been said, their is no such thing as non-lethal ammo. Rubber bullets can kill from internal bleeding (or an accidental head shot). Also, I am relatively certain that they are illegal for civilian use because of the danger and training required.

If you do not want to carry that is your right. I suggest MACE or a good quality 'shooting' Tazer (one that shoots the electrodes out). I carry because I have thought deeply, and meditated on the issue, I carry because all people have the God/Allah/Yahweh/Nirvana/Natural Right to self-defense. And that no one should be told you "have to run" by the government. I stand here legally, Why should I run. I am a Pacifist, I pray for the end of all war, this does not mean I will willingly go down or have my Natural Rights taken from me while i have breath in my lungs.

In conclusion, pacifistic ideals does not mean I have given up my rights to live free and free of tyranny (the kind caused by muggers). It means I work for peace, only using violence for necessary defense. Have you ever seen Avatar: The Last Airbender? In the 3rd season towards the end, Aang was speaking to his past selfs, Avatar Yan Chin. They were talking about how to stop the Fire Lord permanently, everyone said he would have to kill the Fire Lord. Now Aang did find a way not to kill the Fire Lord but the point remains. If the giant Lion-Turtle had not shown up Aang would have had no other option but to kill. We should look for ways to avoid killing but when it becomes absolutely necessary, for self-defense, then you must do what you must do.

Sorry for the long post, I have the habit of typing a stream of consciousness.

Thank You

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Andrew_Waltfeld said:
We deal with murders/homicides more often, but you deal with increased Burglaries/Home invasions and car jackings? Think I rather take the murder and the homicides.
Seems an odd choice, but if that's the way you feel.

Andrew_Waltfeld said:
Not to mention your population is 61 million compared to America's 307 million. If your going to compare the UK or any such things, you have to factor in populations.

It's like rolling 6 dice and saying your opponent gets 30 dice and whoever gets the most 3's is bad off. Obviously America is going to have a higher gun rate death. Compare all of Europe and then tell me that America has the worse crime rate.
Um...what? Why does a greater population lead to a great per capita murder rate?

Blackjack 222

Dec 2, 2009
Never cared for guns much. Knife is much more my speed for self defense and if i get mugged its easier to sucker Punch, draw knife, and win fight than it is to sucker punch, draw gun, gun jam, lose fight.

Just remember your nerves will NOT be the same as on a shooting range and when being attacked. You will likely be panicking and that will impair your aim HEAVILY. Being slightly shaken will harm aim and that might be a bad thing depending on the situation.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Randy11517 said:
Never cared for guns much. Knife is much more my speed for self defense and if i get mugged its easier to sucker Punch, draw knife, and win fight than it is to sucker punch, draw gun, gun jam, lose fight.
Eh, you have to get the safety off and chamber a round before you worry about it jamming.

Unless you have the safety off and a round chambered already, which...um...