Gun Violence Task Force Calls For Research, Parental Tools

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Gun Violence Task Force Calls For Research, Parental Tools

A Congressional "Gun Violence Prevention Task Force" report admits that no link has been found between games and gun violence but calls for more research to be done.

"The Comprehensive Plan That Reduces Gun Violence and Respects the Second Amendment Rights of Law-Abiding Americans" is the result of a congressional inquiry launched in January that has "met with people on both sides of the aisle and all sides of the issue" to come up with strategies to reduce gun violence and make the nation safer while still respecting the right of the people to pack heat. The inquiry was sparked by the December 14 mass murder at the Sandy Hook Elementary School, which left 20 young children and six adults dead. Amazingly, as the report notes, in the seven weeks since that mass murder, "more than 1480 Americans have been killed by gunfire."

"The need for action cannot be overstated. Gun violence is a public health crisis of epidemic proportions," the report adds. "In one year, an average of over 100,000 Americans are shot. 32,000 of these individuals die. Nearly 12,000 of these are murdered, which is more than 32 Americans every day, and another 19,000 of these commit suicide using a gun."

The report makes a point of recognizing the Second Amendment right to bear arms, although it also notes that this right is not without limits. In that light, while it expresses support for the right to "possess firearms for hunting, shooting sports, defense and other lawful and legitimate purposes," it also recommends the reinstatement of a federal ban on assault weapons and magazines that hold more than ten rounds, a requirement for background checks for gun sales (with reasonable exceptions), a crackdown on illegal gun sales and improvements to the mental health care system to ensure that it is accessible to anyone who needs it.

It also, unsurprisingly, touches on the impact of media on violent behavior. "While recent scientific research has not demonstrated a causal relationship between modes of entertainment and violence, more research should be done, including with the backing of uninterested government scientists and experts," it says. "We support making available more information about content choices to our parents and communities, and urge that further scientific research be conducted on possible relationships between the depiction of violence in entertainment media and gun violence in our communities."

"The entertainment and videogame industries have a responsibility to give parents the tools to make appropriate choices about what their children watch and play. It is clear to us that these industries take this responsibility seriously," it continues. "However, as new technologies emerge and new entertainment platforms are developed, Congress must continue to work with these industries to ensure that their efforts remain successful."

It's a reasonably even-handed approach to an incredibly difficult problem, but the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund says the call for more research into the relationship between media and gun violence is "of concern" because it flies in the face of 25 years of research that has found no such links. It also notes the implication that the current "elective" videogame rating system is inadequate, despite repeated findings by the FTC that the ESRB rating system is more effectively enforced than those of any other entertainment medium on the market.

The "Comprehensive Plan That Reduces Gun Violence and Respects the Second Amendment Rights of Law-Abiding Americans" can be read in full at the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund [http://cbldf.org/2013/02/congressional-task-force-recommends-more-research-on-media-and-violence/].

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
100,000 prescription drug deaths yea guns are a crisis in this nation, keep pounding that whole epidemic thing till people believe it,

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
cerebus23 said:
100,000 prescription drug deaths yea guns are a crisis in this nation, keep pounding that whole epidemic thing till people believe it,
Agreed. But it for some reason ppl get their panties in a bunch when there's a "mass" shooting. Just because a shooting is violent doesn't mean the death is any more important than the guy who died across the street after accidentally overdosing on his medications.
I'm glad this seems like a fair approach to the topic of gun violence though. Nothing really stands out except for the usual buzzword "assault weapon" that nobody knows the definition of

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Jove said:
Maybe I'm reading it the wrong way but I'm just sick of how parents still to this day get no blame for any actions they take.
Did you read the next sentence, where it commends them for taking this seriously and then says it's not working anyway? I think the implication here is not that the industry isn't doing their job in making a reasonable effort to inform parents, but that it's failing anyway, and steps need to be taken to figure out why.

Overall, I'm impressed with this report's treatment of video games. It doesn't demonize games, but rather asks for research and ideas. In particular, I like that it calls for studies by uninterested parties. A problem with the vast majority of studies performed so far is that they are performed inadequately by groups with biases (both the pro- and anti-video game groups have this problem), target specific things that aren't necessarily indicative of a larger problem, fail to adhere to widely accepted methods to reduce bias such as double-blind tests. By looking not to attack games but study them, presumably with the willingness to accept the results no matter what they end up being, the report comes across not as knee-jerk, but quite reasonable. A+, guys.

P.S. Thanks

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Ronack said:
Jove said:
"The entertainment and videogame industries have a responsibility to give parents the tools to make appropriate choices about what their children watch and play..."

READ THE FREAKING LABEL ON THE BOX DAMN IT!
Here's a new tool to help parents: Schools to teach them how to read so they know that those labels aren't just pretty pictures.
Hell when the box art is a guy holding a damn gun covered in the blood of his fallen foes........ Yeah there is no excuse at this point.....

Also way to scape goat assholes. Politician douche bags you did not fool me.
How is the fucking economy doing?

Still screwing people out of their taxes?

Still sending my friends to die in countries that we have no business staying in? (troll warning I have been there done that not going to argue or respond to you about your opinion.)

How about the huge number of Veterans coming home without a system in place to handle the new influx of people?

Or the fact you keep cutting the military budget and making the people in it do more work?

How about the corruption that lets the gas companies run a friendly monopoly with each other and soak the common people?

What about the huge debt we are still digging on a war against drugs no one cares about, at worst, or think is fine(looking at you weed)?

Yeah not working on any of that because VIDEOGAMES ARE THE DEVIL? Screw you.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
So... When do we get to demonize the new networks for giving gunmen national coverage? I mean, they even point out that after Sandy, gun violence sky-rockted. Maybe we should hardly put such things in the news at all, and do our damnedest to erase such murderers from history?

gentlemanghost

Jul 7, 2011
"The entertainment and videogame industries have a responsibility to give parents the tools to make appropriate choices about what their children watch and play."

The only "tool" parents need is the word, "No." Parents, learn to say it to your kids when they want something, no matter how much they ***** and whine and call you the worst mother/father ever.

jetriot

Sep 9, 2011
Hey government, moralize and tell us what we need to do when you can keep you own books balanced, stop killing American citizens without trials, and stop murdering 10's of thousands in unmanned drone strikes. Thanks.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
Those tools literally already exist. On top of ESRB ratings and limitations, all current home consoles have parental settings allowing parents to limit what their child plays, buys, or experiences.

When people are asking for these things that already exist, it becomes evident that the problem isn't the video games, but lazy uninvolved parenting that allow their children to partake in this content without their knowledge or consent.

There's nothing I hate more than lazy parents looking to blame everyone else for how their children turn out.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Covarr said:
Jove said:
Maybe I'm reading it the wrong way but I'm just sick of how parents still to this day get no blame for any actions they take.
Did you read the next sentence, where it commends them for taking this seriously and then says it's not working anyway? I think the implication here is not that the industry isn't doing their job in making a reasonable effort to inform parents, but that it's failing anyway, and steps need to be taken to figure out why.
How many warning labels does a product need?

Are there going to have to be... R15 shelves in stores? The sticker already takes up a nice hefty portion of the box art and mentions the age in the corner. If, as a parent, you believe video games are harmful for your children's upbringing then why do you buy them the games or give them enough money (what child needs $60 for a day out?) to buy the game on their own? Would you give your child a box of matches or a loaded gun? Of course not, because you think they're dangerous. Why are video games suddenly the industry's responsibility to monitor? You think guns are dangerous for children so you never let your child handle one without your supervision, you think games are dangerous for children so you let your child handle one without your supervision. I'm sorry, where's the logic?

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Jove said:
"The entertainment and videogame industries have a responsibility to give parents the tools to make appropriate choices about what their children watch and play..."

READ THE FREAKING LABEL ON THE BOX DAMN IT!

Seriously it takes you less than a second to look at the bottom right hand corner of the box to see the ESRB rating for a game. The parents have almost unlimited resource to research about any game their child wants to play.

Maybe I'm reading it the wrong way but I'm just sick of how parents still to this day get no blame for any actions they take. Then again, this is the same country that let criminals like Casey Anthony off the hook. -_-
You stopped reading half way through! Look:
"The entertainment and videogame industries have a responsibility to give parents the tools to make appropriate choices about what their children watch and play. It is clear to us that these industries take this responsibility seriously"

I know, I couldn't believe it either. But that is actually the US government saying "you dun good, kiddo".

Actually, come to think of it, acknowledgement that the games industry isn't Satin, calls for more responsible gun control measures and better mental health treat... who are these people and what have they done with the real US Government!?

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
cerebus23 said:
Agreed but the drug lobby is FAR bigger than the gun lobby, far richer too. No way this get's addressed. Let's not even talk about the insurance companies.

OT, More studies will only prove the same things, so I say bring em on.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
the doom cannon said:
cerebus23 said:
Agreed. But it for some reason ppl get their panties in a bunch when there's a "mass" shooting. Just because a shooting is violent doesn't mean the death is any more important than the guy who died across the street after accidentally overdosing on his medications.
I'm glad this seems like a fair approach to the topic of gun violence though. Nothing really stands out except for the usual buzzword "assault weapon" that nobody knows the definition of
I would have though it means, weapons designed for warfare, rather than weapons designed for self defense or sport. Sounds reasonable to ban personal usage of weapons designed for warfare to me. Maybe they could be limited to usage at a gun range, for which the gun range has to get a special license to house such guns.

Sorry just thinking out loud there.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Could they maybe just get their heads out of their asses and start paying attention to the real cause of these violent outbursts: masculine culture in America. It's not games that are causing it, girls play games too but they're not shooting up places. It's not the guns, because girls own guns too and aren't blowing people away. No, it's boys that are doing this, and only boys. But nobody ever talks about that, they just claim it's "kids killing kids". No, it's boys killing kids, and a stupid taskforce like this isn't going to come near approaching the true issue.