Gunpoint Game Makes For Great Action Movie Moments

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Gunpoint Game Makes For Great Action Movie Moments

Yahtzee takes a look at the indie stealth-puzzler Gunpoint.

Read Full Article

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
Nice to see you take your edge off by writing an article on something else. I see that Sterling has provided a wonderful Therapy session.

olza

Sep 18, 2011
Loved this. Having played gunpoint, I totally agree.
Also, TF2 spy hat! woo!

Robetid

Feb 1, 2013
I may have to check this out. The "little touches" are what caught my attention. It is irritating when you get a low grade or reduced stars or whatever for taking your time as I tend to putter around also. Solid review.

MichaelMaverick

Jan 28, 2009
Was fun until I deleted the whole game's worth of progress with a tiny slip of my finger when trying to respawn, because that's a thing that can happen. And for that I say, fuck it.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I have to disagree with Yatzhee on this one. Gunpoint was SO boring. I played through to the end not because I was interested or cared or because it was challenging, but because I spent money on it and didn't want to feel cheated. It's a shame really. Yatzhee usually destroys games for gimmicks and Gunpoint is as gimmicky as they come. And what about the repetitive game play? I grant that indie developers don't have the cash to create mainstream games, but I get the feeling gunpoint is hiding behind its indie mark. Really, I pretty sure I've played games just like it on New Grounds for free.

Snazzymathematics

Apr 16, 2013
Silentpony said:
I have to disagree with Yatzhee on this one. Gunpoint was SO boring. I played through to the end not because I was interested or cared or because it was challenging, but because I spent money on it and didn't want to feel cheated. It's a shame really. Yatzhee usually destroys games for gimmicks and Gunpoint is as gimmicky as they come. And what about the repetitive game play? I grant that indie developers don't have the cash to create mainstream games, but I get the feeling gunpoint is hiding behind its indie mark. Really, I pretty sure I've played games just like it on New Grounds for free.
I have to respectfully disagree with you, I find Gunplay's gameplay really enjoyable. I guess it's the fact that it makes me feel like a badass for having a guard open a door with a lightswitch only to have me on the ceiling waiting for him to come through the door before I tackle him. I also like how I can either kill every ************ in the building or sneak pass every ************ in the building. There's also a bit of joy to be had planning every move and either successfully pull it off or fuck up and fly outta window.

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
Gunpoint is one of those rare little gems that appear every now and then. I loved the story, I loved the gameplay, and I especially loved re-doing the earlier missions with the ability to kick down doors. The only criticism I can level at it is that it is far too short. Hopefully it will become part of Steam's Workshop program, and then there will be thousands of user-made levels to try out.

Or, failing that, we get loads of expansion packs.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Gunpoint is a really good game. Like Yahtzee said though, wish it was a little bit longer.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
I agree that it was too short but there are a lot of user-made levels out there already and I think it was mentioned somewhere that they are looking into the possibility of adding Steam workshop.
Link to one source for levels: http://forums.pcgamingwiki.com/viewforum.php?f=50

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Yeah, the game's pretty much about how many windows you can break, and how many guards you can have slap themselves in the face with a door next to a switch hooked into that door. Must be the same contractor from Hotline Miami.

(I think maybe those doors are violating OSHA regulations)

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Ok, this looks like a game worth checking out.
For tomorrow's ZP, will it be another E3 teardown? Pretty please?

SLasher797

May 25, 2013
Has anyone played the demo for this game? Even if you've bought the full version I'd have to recommend the demo because the dev created an alternate dialogue chain pertaining to the buy game button replacing the start mission button. It was really nice to see a little bit of humor in front of the pay wall instead of just a pay wall for once, and it really only made me want to buy the game that much more.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
Gunpoint is so good. It's reminds me of the good Hitman games for some reason. But with pants made out of Flubber.

It was way too short though. I did a no kill/witness run and I finished in less than 3 hours. I know that the dev team was like 4 people but I wanted just a little bit more.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
I feel like I should make a level where you have to break into the fuse developer's office and destroy the source code. THAT would be good context

JSF01

Jan 19, 2011
I beat the game, and agree it was fun. Has anyone replayed it yet and know if by choosing different dialog, the game changes?