Gunpoint Review - Futuristic, Puzzle-Platforming Noir

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Gunpoint Review - Futuristic, Puzzle-Platforming Noir

Sneak and hack your way through the advanced future of 1950s film noir.

Read Full Article

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
It looks nigh-identical to our own Yahtzee's "Art of Theft".

This is a very good sign.

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
I would throw money at them with a trebuchet if they decide to make it for mac.

These are the games I would like to see more in the future.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
Mordekaien said:

The dev said that he'll port it if someone can teach him how to port. Same goes for the linux version.

OT: The demo of this game was so much fun. Even you are even vaguely intrigued by this game try the demo:)

http://www.gunpointgame.com/

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
I just downloaded the demo, and tried it. Umm, yeah. great idea putting that out with no tutorial or instructions. I went from being interested to definitely not wanting it in about 2 minutes. :(

Mordekaien said:

Don't Mac users all have access to Windows now?

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Alfador_VII said:
I just downloaded the demo, and tried it. Umm, yeah. great idea putting that out with no tutorial or instructions. I went from being interested to definitely not wanting it in about 2 minutes. :(

Mordekaien said:

Dude, you have internet, just look it up. Are you really just going to avoid the game because it doesnt tell you what to do? Usually people put more then 2 minutes of effort into something that they are interested

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
Alfador_VII said:

Mordekaien said:

You can install windows on your machine, but since I don't own any copy of said software I can't- and I'm not sure if I would do it, even if I owned windows.

Anathrax

Jan 14, 2013
How large is it? How many Gigabytes?

Looks great, I'll give it a few days for opinions to settle down and I'll make up my mind.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
josemlopes said:
Alfador_VII said:

Mordekaien said:

Dude, you have internet, just look it up. Are you really just going to avoid the game because it doesnt tell you what to do? Usually people put more then 2 minutes of effort into something that they are interested
Yeah I've worked it out a bit more, could be interesting.

Anathrax said:

Looks great, I'll give it a few days for opinions to settle down and I'll make up my mind.
Hmm, the demo is about 30 Megabytes, and the only opinion that matters is yours so try the demo

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
lacktheknack said:
It looks nigh-identical to our own Yahtzee's "Art of Theft".

This is a very good sign.
Came to say just that. This game piqued my interest just because of that.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
This looks pretty fun, but at first I thought it was Mark of The Ninja, which I am thoroughly enjoying, so when I finally finish that ( between college assignments) I will probably give this a shot.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Anathrax said:

It has roughly 0.053 GB (54.1 MB) but the savegames might add an additional few hundred KB to a few MB. x)

Does anyone know how to change the game's resolution after the first time launching it?
Edit: Changed it in a .txt file that doesn't seem to change anything o_O

MatsJn

Battlefield control, terminated.
Nov 30, 2009
rofltehcat said:
Anathrax said:

It has roughly 0.053 GB (54.1 MB) but the savegames might add an additional few hundred KB to a few MB. x)

Does anyone know how to change the game's resolution after the first time launching it?
Edit: Changed it in a .txt file that doesn't seem to change anything o_O
Delete "resolution.txt" in the folder "settings".

Vale

May 1, 2013
Alfador_VII said:

Mordekaien said:

I don't know about you, but seeing all the controls in the menu screen after pressing Esc cleared up any problems I had with the game. And it does have tutorials in-game.

Tried the demo this afternoon. Holy. This thing must be distributed to all humans.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
It looks sort of like Flashback [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashback_(video_game)] and Watch Dogs [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watch_Dogs] had a baby.

And that's a good thing.

Anathrax

Jan 14, 2013
54.1 MB? Impossible, are you guys talking about the demo or something?
...How long is this game?

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Oh. My. God.

Buy this game NOW!

Awesome puzzles. Great Aesthetic. HILARIOUS writing.

I was nearly pissing myself right out the gate. This is literally how the game starts:

*Player character is seen flying out a window*
*Lands several stories down*
*Cell phone rings*
Caller: "Did you just get thrown out a window?"
PC: "....No?"

Also a lot of good gameplay to story connections. At one point I was getting surveillance footage of a crime I had committed (don't ask, my character has issues), and because I hadn't gotten spotted on camera committing the crime, the footage didn't show anything. I appreciate that kind of thing.

Really, though, for $9 this game is well worth the price of admission.

Anathrax said:
It's all pixel graphics, so there's not a lot bytes there. As long as you're ok with the art style, you'll definitely get your money's worth.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Anathrax said:
Look at it, it has only very basic DOS-style visuals, no voiceover etc.

AAA games are so huge because they have huge amounts of textures and sound files. Back in the day, games also had that size... I think my first hard drive had 220 MB or so DOS/Win3.11 :D

Festus Moonbear

Feb 20, 2013
Got it yesterday and have played it through twice already now to get the different endings. This game is awesome. I haven't been so impressed with gameplay features since Portal, and I'm not exaggerating. The level editor gives it great potential to grow among the community as well. Get it immediately or I will jump through your window and punch you out!

captcha: just dance.

I don't have time for dancing, I'm too busy making a guard on the fifth floor inadvertently electrocute a guard in the basement.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Anathrax said:
It's a 2D indie game, so it's pretty small. If you weren't playing PC games back in the days of floppy disks, or if you're not aware of how small the cartridges were on the old cartridge based consoles[footnote]For example, SNES games averaged about 1 or 2 megabytes. The numbers always sounded bigger because the magazines at the time listed them in terms of megabits, inflating the number by a factor of eight[/footnote], you'd be amazed at how much game can be crammed into such a small space. I remember being shocked the first time I saw a game with an install size that broke one gigabyte, let alone when I found out that 30 gigs was not unusual for MMOs and some other large titles these days.