H.A.W.X. 2 Flies Clear of PCs, For Now

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
H.A.W.X. 2 Flies Clear of PCs, For Now

Don't hold your breath: H.A.W.X. 2 isn't coming out for the PC anytime soon.

<a href=http://www.amazon.com/Tom-Clancys-H-W-X-Xbox-360/dp/B003MUNG0G/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285295716&sr=8-1>Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2 was released for consoles earlier this month, and <a href=http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/tom-clancys-hawx-2>reviews haven't exactly been spectacular so far. However, the PC version of the game, which was due out on September 30th, has abruptly been put on the backburner by Ubisoft.

Even though Ubisoft claims the game's delay is only temporary, it turns out the publisher doesn't know when it will actually release the combat sim. According to Joystiq, "a Ubisoft representative tells Joystiq that it could 'possibly be November,' but the publisher isn't certain at this time. We're told a new date should be available 'shortly.'"

H.A.W.X. doesn't seem to be the strongest Tom Clancy franchise at Ubisoft's table, either critically or commercially. Even John Funk <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/5870-Review-Tom-Clancys-H-A-W-X>couldn't give the first game a solid "buy" recommendation. What will be interesting to see is if Ubi reveals why the game was so drastically delayed less than a week before it was originally supposed to hit stores, not to mention whether it's any good when it finally does make its public debut.

Source: Joystiq

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
So, a sort of combaty flight simulator goes to consoles before PC? Umm... Ubisoft, I thought you would learn what genres work better on PC over consoles after you did that with Endwar.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
So, a sort of combaty flight simulator goes to consoles before PC? Umm... Ubisoft, I thought you would learn what genres work better on PC over consoles after you did that with Endwar.
H.A.W.X., given it's control scheme, actually seemed more of a console based flight simulator to me.

Anyways, I didn't really think that H.A.W.X. needed a sequel, but I'll wait until it comes out before I judge.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Hmm. So you've got a game which is currently languishing in thoroughly average scores, in a problematic market where gamers are strapped for cash more than usual and have to choose their games carefully and rather than trying to guarantee that you get each platform released before the negative reviews come in, you manage to delay the platform which is perhaps most used to combat flight sims (PC) for months as those 70% review scores cement themselves into consumer mindsets.

Nice job Ubisoft. It's almost like you didn't want to sell the game at all.

adam5396

Feb 12, 2010
Great, hope I didn't waste those 50$ on Steam. At least I get Blazing Angels 2 wi- Oh wait, no 1.1 patch on steam...

At least Dead Rising 2 will be available soon. Still can't wait for that.

EDIT: Gonna try for a refund. Probably wont work, but it's worth a shot.

oranger

May 27, 2008
My guess for the delay? the DRM scheme was so intertwined with the games' OS that when they found a critical error in it (you'd be surprised by the amount of bugs DRM produces), they had no ETA for its correction.

The Imp

Nov 9, 2009
Hmm..Assassins Creed, Assassins Creed 2, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Assassins Creed: Brotherhood and now H.A.W.X. 2 gets massively delayed without any kind of explanation. Ubi really loooooooves us PC gamers.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Not really that big a deal. The first one was nothing is not mediocre, and I have no reason to believe this next installment is anything but more of the same.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
The first one sucked especially when you compared it to it's ...really only competitor Ace Combat.

HAWX 1 was mediocre at best and tedious at it's worst. It just wasn't worth the asking price.

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Wow, developers are sure scorning the PC customers lately.

That's just messed up, all developers, stop being pricks and just release your games on both consoles and the PC, it would seem like common sense by now if they want their game to sell.

NotHisRealName

Jul 15, 2009
Snotnarok said:
The first one sucked especially when you compared it to it's ...really only competitor Ace Combat.

HAWX 1 was mediocre at best and tedious at it's worst. It just wasn't worth the asking price.
Yeah, I was hoping HAWX 1 was going to be the PC answer to Ace Combat (I've loved the games I've played from that series). But it was a major disappointment. The delay of HAWX 2 is no big deal (unless they're trying to actually make the game good).

PC Gaming really needs that 'not-quite-hardcore' flight sim worth getting.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
NotHisRealName said:
Snotnarok said:

Yeah, I was hoping HAWX 1 was going to be the PC answer to Ace Combat (I've loved the games I've played from that series). But it was a major disappointment. The delay of HAWX 2 is no big deal (unless they're trying to actually make the game good).

PC Gaming really needs that 'not-quite-hardcore' flight sim worth getting.
I know they're old but try Tie Fighter and X-Wing, they're the best flight games I've played.

The Imp

Nov 9, 2009
SantoUno said:
Wow, developers are sure scorning the PC customers lately.

That's just messed up, all developers, stop being pricks and just release your games on both consoles and the PC, it would seem like common sense by now if they want their game to sell.
[Publisher]
You know, we publish games to make money. As much as humanly possible. That's what we are here for. So if we'd release a PC version before even Timmy and his Mom bought the game for the console we would fuck our money stream right up the ass because they would just pirate the game. You know, PC gamers are all pirates and every download is a lost sale. EVERY SINGLE ONE!!!111 So we wait until every gamer out there that has the slightes interest in playing our game bought it for the console and then, and ONLY then, we release the shoddy port that's rotting in my desk drawer since before the game got a release candidate.
[/Publisher]

That is what PR guys would tell the gaming press if they were honest - but they are not, because they'd like to stay employed. So they lie their asses off and keep feeding us bullshit lines like "We are still optimizing bla bla bla gaming experience bla bla bla implementing special features such as customizable graphics and mouse/keyboard support bla bla bla". It's an open secret - they know that we know that it's bullshit and we know that they know that they know that we know it's bullshit but both sides act like they would believe the lies.

*cough* You gotta excuse the Under Siege 2 reference...got a little carried away. >_>

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
Gutted for PC gamers. I couldn't see HAWX on the PC being any good anyway. It just seems like more of a console genre. Then again, I've never played any flight sims on PC.

Bob_Bobbington

Oct 27, 2008
While I enjoyed the original H.A.W.X.S for PC, it wasn't the type of game that made me want to jump up and buy the sequel when it came out. Hell, I didn't even know there was a sequel till around a week ago.