Hacker Attempts to Blackmail Online Game Publisher

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Why hasn't anyone come up with a MMORPG based around hacking a MMORPG? That would be new AND metaliciously awesome.

Furthermore, I agree with "get a life". Screwing with the BKA (German federal police) AND anon can't be healthy.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
SL33TBL1ND said:
So what is this? A grey speckled white-hat?
No, it's "thicker than two short planks".

Seriously, this is right up there with DDoSing Minecraft's servers in order to get more updates a week before a massive update; stupid in so many levels.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Z3r0? Kotaku says that it was a dude named augustus 87. Their screenshot even shows that.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Originality said:
To me it sounds like an ex-employee. A disgruntled ex-employee.
This would be the only thing that would make even the remotest sense to me. Not that it'd be quite as excusable, or a pertinent tactic, but still - it'd at least make some sense.

However if it's anything other than that and if it's just a random internet antihero of the oppressed...pfffft. I genuinely don't know where these people get this amount of time on their hands. But ah well...anything for e-fame I guess.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
A real hacker would quietly reveal the security holes to the developer and give them suggestions on how to prevent this kind of stuff. This guy, like so many, just wants to make a public spectacle, show off and be a nuisance.

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
i saw the video and arrived at a conclusive decision as to who the culprit is here:
Stephen Hawking oh shit

tharglet

Jul 21, 2010
RoM did have some "public relations issues" when I was playing - they were quite renowned for eating threads that were negative. OK, some did deserve to get eaten, but others didn't.
Also the progress updates on patches and things was pretty atrocious imo.

But yeah - threatening the player base is pretty low. Why expose data of those who aren't to blame?

The monitoring on the network - I say that's a fairly sensible thing to do. A fair few GMs over several companies have been fired for giving out stuff to friends etc. How would you like to trounced by the guy who just happened to be friends with a GM or dev? Doesn't sound like this guy works - if so he should know a lot of corporate internet access is monitored, at least to some degree.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Well, I cant say I support him in his crusade, largely because I dont give a fuck. Though I would like to see what happens.

HellspawnCandy

Oct 29, 2009
It's funny how people just do some really jerk moves because they don't get what they want. I'm sure he's just a kid who's tired of the company that makes the game, he just apparently knows how to hack though. I'm sure most MMO companies monitor their employees, especially for free to play. Sure glad I don't play this game.

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
HankMan said:
The Cheezy One said:
Kiefer? Security? Terrorism? What is this, 24?
Jack Bower: Where's the user info?
Z3r0: Never!
Jack Bower:*Leet Hacks Z3r0* WHERE'S THE USER INFO!?!
*it's Bauer not bower

Jack: You don't understand how far I am willing to go to get that info.
Zero: You'll never find it Jack?
Jack: ???You know it's actually quite pitiful?
*Hear screaming in the background*
Jack: DAMNIT! WHERE IS THE USER INFO!!!!!!!

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Well, from the look of the video, he claims to be part of Anonymous....and he somehow got their chant wrong.