Hacker Leaves Note to Microsoft Inside Virus

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Hacker Leaves Note to Microsoft Inside Virus

That's one way to get a message to Microsoft: a note has been found in the code of a malicious trojan horse program [http://www.pcworld.com/article/156934/hacker_leaves_message_for_microsoft_in_trojan_code.html?tk=rss_news] written by the Russian hacker who authored the software to wish his Redmond-based nemeses a happy New Year, "and good luck."

Given that the people who write malware and the security teams that try to shut them down are natural enemies - like cats and dogs, or PS3 fanboys and Xbox 360 fanboys - the message itself is surprisingly polite: "Just want to say 'Hello' from Russia. You are really good guys. It was a surprise for me that Microsoft can respond on threats so fast."

This wouldn't be the first time that this particular anonymous hacker has left a message for his pursuers, either: Last October, he wrote Microsoft a slightly-less-cordial-and-kind-of-creepy note, saying, "I want to see your eyes the man from Windows Defender's team."

In a touch of irony, the note wasn't discovered by Microsoft at all. Rather, it was found by a French security researcher who went by the handle "S!Ri" last Friday [http://mad.internetpol.fr/archives/8-Zlob-Best-Wishes-With-A-Hidden-Message.html]. Of course, given the amount of malware code that the in-house Microsoft teams have to sift through, the actual likelihood that they'd have found it in the first place remains pretty small ... even if they did catch the October message.

There may not be a third note in the future - according to the hacker, the company he works for is probably closing its doors: "We are closing soon. Not because of your work. :)) So, you will not see some of my great ;) ideas in that family of software." Perhaps the global recession is even hitting the pockets of malware coders these days.

Still, the anonymous author seemed to be in high spirits, offering some advice to the rivals he'd never met ("try to search in exploits/shellcodes and rootkits") and wishing them a happy New Year.

(Image [http://flickr.com/photos/motoed/34393494/])

Healey

Apr 14, 2008
This is how it should be done. Respect for the opposing side, even if one of you are the "bad guys". If only it could be this way everywhere on the internet...

Hookman

Jul 2, 2008
Wow,a hacker that is nice and has respect for his 'nemesis'. Thats definatly not something you see every day.

Dudemeister

Feb 24, 2008
T said:
It's the modern equivalent of a gentleman thief. How wonderfully delicious.
It'd be awesome if he was like a Victorian cat burglar, leaving notes saying stuff like "You've just been had my dear!" and then disappearing out the window.

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
I think he regret's only one thing in his work... not being able to see the look on the peoples faces working at Microsoft...

Sep 8, 2008
Erana said:
T said:
I was thinking the same thing.
except with worse english. excusable if its not a first language. also, less of an object of lust, anonymity and all.

LewsTherin

Jun 22, 2008
"The gauntlet has been cast! Have at you, ye mangy mongrel mutts!" *Flourishes rapier flamboyantly*

This is great. At least one person eating through your credit card history is polite about it.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Erana said:
T said:
I was thinking the same thing.
Better then the ones who just steal your identity and trash your computer without even say "Hello" thats for sure!