Hackers Claim Credit for Destiny, CoD Crash

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Hackers Claim Credit for Destiny, CoD Crash

"Woah, I think there are some Ghosts haunting Destiny," Tweets Lizard Squad.

If you were among those who got booted from Dinklebot [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/12236-Destiny-Review].

The attack took place late Sunday evening, West Coast time. The problem didn't affect all users - an Australian player [http://www.vg247.com/2014/09/29/destiny-servers-down-no-eta-as-yet/] reported no difficulty logging on - and was resolved quickly. Call of Duty: Ghosts servers were also briefly affected, as were EA's Madden, FIFA and Sims 4.

Lizard Squad [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137016-Sony-PlayStation-Network-Xbox-Live-DDoS-Attack-Hacked-SOE-President-Airplane-Bomb-Threat]'s the same bunch that hit Sony with DDoS attacks recently, as well as making a bomb threat that diverted Sony Online Entertainment President John Smedley's plane mid-flight. Smedley has continued to be a Lizard Squad target since that incident.

That said, it may not be the same Lizard Squad, or at least not the same people. Describing itself as "just a bunch of guys with too much free time," Lizard Squad announced it was disbanding after the FBI caught some of its members [http://www.incgamers.com/2014/08/ddos-group-lizard-squad-apparently-caught-and-exposed]. "We have lives believe it or not, things to do, people to meet," it said. "Goodbye."

Perhaps it ought to have been au revoir.

Source: Forbes [http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/09/29/hacker-group-lizard-squad-takes-down-destiny-call-of-duty-fifa-and-more/]

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
That the Hell is wrong with gamers nowadays? DDoS attack there, DDoS attack there. Why the fuck are we trying to stop others from having fun so much?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
erttheking said:
That the Hell is wrong with gamers nowadays? DDoS attack there, DDoS attack there. Why the fuck are we trying to stop others from having fun so much?
I wouldn't call these people gamers, I'd call them idiots. Remember, these are the same people who called in bomb threats on the Sony executive's plane, and apparently the President of SCEO is still being targeted. No these guys aren't as gamers, they're sociopaths who just want to shit on other people's day.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Can we stop calling DDOS groups "HACKERS" it gives them way to much credit, its like calling a common thug a "gangster" or "mobster".

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Neronium said:
erttheking said:
I wouldn't call these people gamers, I'd call them idiots. Remember, these are the same people who called in bomb threats on the Sony executive's plane, and apparently the President of SCEO is still being targeted. No these guys aren't as gamers, they're sociopaths who just want to shit on other people's day.
You can't throw people out from a label just because you don't like them. I mean they are gamers, they're within the community, as much as we don't want to admit it.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
erttheking said:
You can't throw people out from a label just because you don't like them. I mean they are gamers, they're within the community, as much as we don't want to admit it.
I'm not meaning to throw them out, and I'm sorry if it seems that way. But gamer isn't the only correct word to describe them, the correct one at this point due to the bomb threats now is terrorist. Doesn't help with the negative connotation that the word "gamer" seems to have with people nowadays either.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Neronium said:
erttheking said:
I'm not meaning to throw them out, and I'm sorry if it seems that way. But gamer isn't the only correct word to describe them, the correct one that this point due to the bomb threats now is terrorist. Doesn't help with the negative connotation that the word "gamer" seems to have with people nowadays either.
Hm. Didn't think of it from that angle. Fair enough. I was thinking of it from a "gamers doing things to gamers" perspective.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
...why? Seriously, why? They gain nothing from this, it only annoys innocent people, it's not some big political or anti corporate thing, and they must know they'll get in trouble for it. Why would they do this? I don't understand.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Gearhead mk2 said:
...why? Seriously, why? They gain nothing from this, it only annoys innocent people, it's not some big political or anti corporate thing, and they must know they'll get in trouble for it. Why would they do this? I don't understand.
Bully mentality.
Because it makes others mad, and because they can.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
So, in my 3 1/2 hours of TV time Sunday, there was a DDOS attack on Sony. Huh. Well, good thing I'm not all hardcore else this might've been an inconvenience. As a proponent for removing all negative connotations the "gamer" label implies, these idiots stand firmly outside the group if their idea of fun is to ruin it for everyone around them. I'm as far from a basement-dwelling, 4-chan and darknet-lurking overweight troglodyte but I suspect that these representatives for humanity might fit that description rather precisely.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
erttheking said:
Neronium said:
erttheking said:
The thing is, a majority of them are probably not even gamers. This is something people who write code do in their spare time (***disclaimer*** I am not saying all coders are DDOsers)

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
erttheking said:
As one of those people kicked from Destiny I can assure you I didn't miss out on any fun. I've played the game more than 10 hrs.

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
I don't see what they gain from this. I was playing, in the middle of the weekly strike when I was kicked out. I was lucky I could log back in, in no time, but had to restart the entire instance.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
DDoS hackers are like children that wipe their shit all over the wall and then look to you for a complement.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Most DDoSers are barely more than script kiddies, it's mostly bullies trying to annoy people whose gaming tastes don't please them. You're free to think Origin users or Sims 4 players are sheeple, but actually spoiling someone else's fun for no tangible reason doesn't make a hacker out of you.

Hackers would've done the same thing - but then they would've published their findings online or would have contacted Sony, Activision and EA to help them up their security game.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
erttheking said:
I think they're the opposite of gamers by this point. Not only are they not playing games, they're actively stopping others from playing them as well. I vote to call them "Annoying Pricks" as the official term. Because they're Annoying Pricks.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
erttheking said:
#notallgamers, man, #notallgamers.

I can't believe you didn't include that!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
xitel said:
I think they're the opposite of gamers by this point. Not only are they not playing games, they're actively stopping others from playing them as well. I vote to call them "Annoying Pricks" as the official term. Because they're Annoying Pricks.
In my experience, they are gamers. Usually gamers who are pissed off at something. I wouldn't be shocked if Lizard Squad were angry gamers lashing out, given their targets. I mean, I'd wait for evidence they were, but I also wouldn't preclude them because they weren't gaming at that moment.

Eliam_Dar said:
I don't see what they gain from this. I was playing, in the middle of the weekly strike when I was kicked out. I was lucky I could log back in, in no time, but had to restart the entire instance.
Often times, just pissing people off is its own reward for some people. Maybe even everyone. I've never DDOSed anyone, but I admit I've had a few moments of schadenfreude in gaming. Usually just outdoing someone who's being a dick or out-performing someone who's trash talking, but still. Some people just like to lash out entirely. Taking down the servers for big multiplayer games and then seeing the reactions? Gotta be a bunch of people who get their jollies off that.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Calling someone a hacker for using a DDos script is like calling me a mechanic because I know how to add washer fluid to my car.