Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Countdown Website?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
DoPo said:
erttheking said:
DoPo said:
erttheking said:
So Valve is going to release it in three months without announcing it first? I kinda find that hard to swallow. I call "it's a fake"
Well, they could have set this up as an alarm to remind them to announce it... :p
Somehow I doubt that, it's for three months not three years.
It could have started the countdown back in 2004.
If they did they would've...ah forget it, the joke's already stale.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Not holding my breath on this one. I'll believe it only when Gaben looks me dead in the eye and announces it officially. Even then, I'd probably have to wait until I got my copy in hand before it actually sinks in.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
DoPo said:
Where'd you get that info? Just curious.

OT- Half Life 3 will probably come out the day I die. Considering I'm 15 ATM and I plan to live above 100 years, that's going to suck. So, no; not legit at all OP.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
thesilentman said:
DoPo said:
Where'd you get that info? Just curious.

OT- Half Life 3 will probably come out the day I die. Considering I'm 15 ATM and I plan to live above 100 years, that's going to suck. So, no; not legit at all OP.
Just go to http://www.whois.sc/ and type in the domain name. Alternatively, http://www.domaintools.com/ which is exactly the same - whois just redirects there, but it's shorter to type. Also, if you're lazy (like me), install ShowIP for Firefox - it...shows you the IP of a website in the status bar, and if you click it, you can do several lookups with just a mouse click.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
tippy2k2 said:
So where did you find this? After much research (put Half Life Episode 3 count-down into Google and went to Valve.com), I do not see where this site came from.

Let's say this is real for funsy for one second...am I the only one who just doesn't give a shit anymore? I'm so disheartened by the way that Valve treats their fans that I'm absolutely baffled why people follow this developer like they are the second coming of Jesus and He's brought us smoothies...maybe it's a PC thing?
Escuse me, what did they do to their fans exactly? If you mean the long development tmes, it is Valve. Fans already are aware of the Valve time.

OT: FAAAAAAAAKE. At least i hope it is. This isn't what I expect when it comes to a HL3 annoucement. Just another prankster who is bored of waiting like rest of us and made a small harmless joke, I suppose.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Yeah i dont expect this to be of any significance in the long run.

When Valve is done, theyll let us know. Eventually.

Besides since Valve is known to be working on the Source 2 engine now and with its first game to be Ricochet 2, why would they bother releasing a game for an engine that theyre going to stop supporting?

Rariow

Nov 1, 2011
-Mentioned by Valve? No check.
-Any new assets demonstrated not from previous episodes? No check.
-Internet imploding upon itself in excitement? No check.
-End times approaching and thus things that shouldn't be happening (IE: Valve counting to 3) happening? Very unlikely check.

Doesn't seem legit.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Yea it's a fake. Valve doesn't make domains as obvious as this and Half-Life 2 to Ep 2 don't even have their own website anymore, they all redirect to the orange box site. Plus Valve tends to use blog style sites for it's other games so if anything if it were legit it would appear on a site designed to look like the TF2, Portal or Left 4 Dead one with a different domain name.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
bafrali said:
Escuse me, what did they do to their fans exactly? If you mean the long development tmes, it is Valve. Fans already are aware of the Valve time.

OT: FAAAAAAAAKE. At least i hope it is. This isn't what I expect when it comes to a HL3 annoucement. Just another prankster who is bored of waiting like rest of us and made a small harmless joke, I suppose.
And maybe that's why I find it so ludicrous while others are perfectly fine with it: I don't really care about Valve.

All I see is a company that switched to an Episodic format to get their stuff out faster and continually teases it's fan base about the game that they're "Totally working on guys!". Duke Nuke'm became a giant punchline due to this mentality.

For fun, here is a timeline of all the Episode 3 stuff (this is from a wiki so I can't validate it's source but I haven't marked my calendar every time Valve gives one of their promises so we're stuck with this). 2010 onward is especially enlightening as we see a lot of interviews with a "Totally working on it guys" attitude:

http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Future_of_the_Half-Life_series

I guarantee that if any other game company tried to pull this kind of jerk-off game with their fans, people would be pissed. Frankly, this wait is a big reason why I just don't play Valve games anymore. I'm tired of sitting here wondering if we'll ever get to see the ending to a ball-crushingly painful ending. I'm tired of hearing about Valve tell us how "they're totally working on it so while you wait, why not go buy Left 4 Dead 2?". I'm tired of hearing rumor after rumor after rumor while Valve sits back in silence as everyone wonders what's true and what's not. I loved Half Life but Valve has crushed that love right out of me.

Basically, I'm tired of the bullshit of this entire situation. If you're fine with it, great, more power to you. I'm not going to call the fans names for trying to stay strong in this kind of a shit-storm but me? Nope, I'm out. When Episode 3 comes out, I will purchase it because I really want to know what the hell happened but after that, Game Over.

/rant

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
this is likely to be a rickroll or something, in other words, don't get your hopes up.

nothing's gonna happen (probably >_>)

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
It's a fake. Valve would do something more spectacular... or more ARG. Also, it's not recording the time as 9999 days 23 hours 59 minutes 59 seconds so It's clearly not set to the right time.

Eomega123

Jan 4, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
I'm so disheartened by the way that Valve treats their fans that I'm absolutely baffled why people follow this developer like they are the second coming of Jesus and He's brought us smoothies...maybe it's a PC thing?
Um, what exactly are you talking about? Valve has done nothing that I either haven't loved (in the case of good things) or completely understood their motivations and approved of their handling of the issue (in the case of less good things). What's so horrible about Valve?

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
tippy2k2 said:
Well like I said they were always like that. Half Life was deleayed, Half Life 2 was delayed, TF2 was even deemed as vapor during its 9 year development. They have a tendancy to take their time and perfect their act which is commandable. They have proven themselves o be a competent bunch with their track record.

Believe me, fans all want HL3 but they have accepted their method which seems to work best for the franchise.

Oh and if you give up now, how will you reach the privilage of waiting for HL4 for the next ten years hmm?

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Definitively fake. It's not subtle enough, the site looks amateurish, the site is owned by some "uber company", and has apparently changed owners the last few years.

rodneyy

humm odd
Sep 10, 2008
tippy2k2 said:
bafrali said:

And maybe that's why I find it so ludicrous while others are perfectly fine with it: I don't really care about Valve.

All I see is a company that switched to an Episodic format to get their stuff out faster and continually teases it's fan base about the game that they're "Totally working on guys!". Duke Nuke'm became a giant punchline due to this mentality.

For fun, here is a timeline of all the Episode 3 stuff (this is from a wiki so I can't validate it's source but I haven't marked my calendar every time Valve gives one of their promises so we're stuck with this). 2010 onward is especially enlightening as we see a lot of interviews with a "Totally working on it guys" attitude:

http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Future_of_the_Half-Life_series

I guarantee that if any other game company tried to pull this kind of jerk-off game with their fans, people would be pissed. Frankly, this wait is a big reason why I just don't play Valve games anymore. I'm tired of sitting here wondering if we'll ever get to see the ending to a ball-crushingly painful ending. I'm tired of hearing about Valve tell us how "they're totally working on it so while you wait, why not go buy Left 4 Dead 2?". I'm tired of hearing rumor after rumor after rumor while Valve sits back in silence as everyone wonders what's true and what's not. I loved Half Life but Valve has crushed that love right out of me.

Basically, I'm tired of the bullshit of this entire situation. If you're fine with it, great, more power to you. I'm not going to call the fans names for trying to stay strong in this kind of a shit-storm but me? Nope, I'm out. When Episode 3 comes out, I will purchase it because I really want to know what the hell happened but after that, Game Over.

/rant
for me there are so many games that are pushed out of the door half formed and buggy that im fine waiting. yes it might be taking a wile but at least you know they arent just pasting something together. the way valve works it might not always have loads of people working on it as other things but at least the ones who are working on it still want to be doing it and are not just putting in the hours to get the pay check at the end. that passion is part of what makes valve games, unfortunatly it comes at a cost a cost most are willing to pay to get the end results.

i would say the whole "we are working on it" is mearly to re-assure the fans. what would be better having the occational statment or noting at all, if the news feeds were totally bereft of information then people would become dispondant at the prospect of ever seeing it finished. also if they gave any more details of what whould be in the game and then they were taken out at a later date that would just be a massive cock tease

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Someone remind me an about 88 days to be even slightly intrigued. Until then, I call bullshit.