Half Life 2 is not a good FPS

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
Gladion said:
Joeshie said:
orannis62 said:
You know what, here [http://www.gamesradar.com/f/gordon-freeman-strongest-personality-in-gaming/a-20080118104744203035]. It's a bit biased, but he says it better than I can.
Holy shit. Thank you. That perfectly sums up why the idea of Gordon Freeman works perfectly.
I quit reading after this: "In Gordon Freeman, Valve have very skillfully created the best-realised and most believable protagonist in gaming."
Half-Life's biggest weakpoint is and has always been it's main character - because he is no character at all. Just a camera running around, never answering people or in fact saying a single word at all and he is being loved by everybody. How could this be the most believable protagonist in gaming, and what did Valve do when saying they "have very skillfully created" him? They didn't give him a voice, they just drew some artworks showing his face and wrote a name for him. What took so much skill that they deserve so much praise?

Edit: I tried to read further, but it's not possible - I know the author tries to argue about my point, but it doesn't work for me, I'm sorry.
If you actually read the blasted thing the author is making the point that Gordon Freeman is "you". That's why he's such a strong character, because you make him one. This is the point that has been repeated by numerous people throughout the thread.

BolognaBaloney

Mar 17, 2009
Triple G said:
not a zaar said:
Weapons - Arguably the most important part of an FPS. Most of HL2's weapon feel weak and powerless (especially the pistol and the smg,) except maybe for the revolver, which has a pathetic ammo capacity and is hardly ever needed thanks to the dumb-as-rocks enemies which are content to slowly strafe or run right at you while shooting. The gravity gun is cool, but it's more of a gimmick than a weapon as far as I'm concerned.
Sorry, but first of all the gravity gun is no gimmick. I went through ravenholm & the combine tower almost only with this baby and it was something innovative and FUN. Not the typical process of holding down the mouse button at an enemy untill he drops over like in most FPSes. Flicking energy-balls, toilets and saw-blades at enemies. Also the Crossbow is really good, the revolver is good too. The smg and the assault rifle are mediocre, but it's ok. And also if you give too much ammo for the revolver it's so easy that you can paint it green, give Gordon a helmet, change some monster skins, cut out all the good stuff and call it Halo 4.
Noooo....please keep freeman out of halo.

Delta1

Apr 25, 2009
My friends, have you forgotten about what Half-Life represents! This game marked a revolution in the fps genere. Sure compared to modern day greats this game is rather primitive but come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please reconsider your comments and ponder what I have said.

Jul 9, 2008
Delta1 said:
My friends, have you forgotten about what Half-Life represents! This game marked a revolution in the fps genere. Sure compared to modern day greats this game is rather primitive but come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please reconsider your comments and ponder what I have said.
True. Many of the games that are currently better than HL2 are only better because they built on HL2. Not that I'm convinced that there are many games better than HL2.

ShortCommings

Jan 5, 2009
... i dont quite get the argument against.
it seems to be the halo vs HL argument again.. i loved hl 1/2 and.. as ashamed as i am to admit it i loved halo 1/2 (never played 3, probably cus im not such a huge fan of breaking benjamin, and that seemed to fit in a lot with.. somthing, probbaly not relevent) but they were 2 compleatly different games, sometimes, you could run out in halo blast the shite out of things then run back and hide, rinse and repeat. no problems there, but i dident spend much time immersing in the general storyline (it was shite, somthing about pillers..yadada). hl2, was FUN! i reapeat FUN to run around doing fuck all, id run up and hit the swings for 20 mins at a time, cus i could chuck bricks at the general populus? propa job! even look at the scenery for god knows how long, and my god, ravenholme did horror better than most horror games do, with a preist with a shotgun! (i think)...

[edit]: i think im drunk... this probably has no bearing to do with anything! ignore...

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
I guess all those people who felt HL2 wasnt as great as Halo as a FPS because of the 'weak weapons' tend to forget that unlike in HALO where Master Chief is on the front lines of a war, Gordon has returned to a dystopian future where the Combine is in control of everything and he's part of an underground resistance, which probably means he doesnt have the most badass weaponry available at his immediate disposal just for the hell of it.

They wanted there to be more realism in Half life 2 (sci fi epic storyline aside) and it made Gordon that much more of a bad ass to be kicking ass without a godlike arsenal that could supply a small army strapped to his BACK.

Gordon wasnt a super soldier, he was a scientist thrust into the role of a man who felt he had to take action against a greater evil. His greatest weapon was his MIND.
If you missed that, it says a great deal about the gamer and less about the game.

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
Personally, i hated the game. The episodes were a bit better, mainly because Valve didn't spend the first half of them masturbating over the physics engine. I admit the story was good, some of the characters were decent and there were some great set pieces, but the main feeling i come away with every time i play it is frustration.

Take the driving sections for instance. There is a reason most FPS's switch to third person for driving. In first person on a TV, you have almost no peripheral vision which makes accurately controlling a vehicle nigh-on impossible, especially when they handle like submarines. And making us drive the thing, dodge explosive barrels and rocks, aim and fire a machine gun at a helicopter that's dropping crap-tons of mines that you also need to dodge is just plain evil.

The puzzles also irritated me. There seemed to be absolutely no point to most of them (the damn see-saw comes to mind). They added nothing to the gameplay, just got in the way of the flow and momentum.

It had some of the most annoying enemies that i've ever faced. Headcrabs that hide round corners, jump in your face and bring you straight down to 1 health, despite your suits 'shields'? Dick move.

I enjoyed some moments of it, especialy the last level with the uber gravity gun, but in between the awesome parts there were huge sections of crap.

THIS IS MY OPINION. IT IS NOT ME STATING FACTS.

pieeater911

Jun 27, 2008
Back in 2004 the game was absolutely amazing, and I think it still holds up pretty well against most FPSs released now-a-days, since a lot of them are built off of the ideas that Half-Life laid down.

And the Gravity Gun is always awesome.

I_LIKE_CAKE

Oct 29, 2008
MarsProbe said:
This is where somebody says something really cheesy like "Half-Life 2 is not a good FPS, it's a great FPS".

Unforrtunately, it turned out it was me.

But really, what is the point of this discussion. Half-Life 2 was a great game back when it was released. It should be judged based on its merits at that time, not how it stands now. Though if you are judging it based on it's merits on release, why take 5 years before doing so?
I disagree.
Half-Life 2 is an amazing game and FPS, and as such has stood the test of time very well. An excellent story, awesome gameplay, and, thanks to Valve's continual updates to the Source engine, effects that are still among the best I have ever seen all add up to create a game that I enjoyed even more when I played through it last month then I did several years ago.

On a side note to all those who are bitching about the pistol: try to aim for the head, you will be amazed at how quickly things die when their brains are painting the wall.

I_LIKE_CAKE

Oct 29, 2008
TundraWolf said:
JediMB said:
TundraWolf said:
Nor can Call of Duty, Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, Gears of War, Resistance: Fall of Man, Unreal Tournament, Goldeneye, or any of the pure-breed first-person shooters. When it comes down to it, all they are are point-and-shoot action games, and that doesn't interest people as much as it used to.
Personally I wouldn't put GoldenEye in the same category as the rest of the listed games. As much as MGM complained about there being too much shooting in the game, it did focus a lot on various primary and secondary mission objectives. Steal some intel, blow something up remotely, save someone, etc., and sometimes you'd find yourself with mini-puzzles where you were expected to cut open a hatch with your wrist watch or something to that effect.
Fair enough. It's been ages since I've played Goldeneye, so I actually forgot about a lot of that stuff. Thanks for pointing that out.

The rest, though, are pure-format FPSes, which just can't stand up to the format- and genre-bending games that are in the industry these days.
Oh god, the wrist watch (shudder)

EDIT:
Sorry for the double post, I clicked without thinking

BolognaBaloney

Mar 17, 2009
I_LIKE_CAKE said:
TundraWolf said:
JediMB said:
TundraWolf said:
Nor can Call of Duty, Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, Gears of War, Resistance: Fall of Man, Unreal Tournament, Goldeneye, or any of the pure-breed first-person shooters. When it comes down to it, all they are are point-and-shoot action games, and that doesn't interest people as much as it used to.
Personally I wouldn't put GoldenEye in the same category as the rest of the listed games. As much as MGM complained about there being too much shooting in the game, it did focus a lot on various primary and secondary mission objectives. Steal some intel, blow something up remotely, save someone, etc., and sometimes you'd find yourself with mini-puzzles where you were expected to cut open a hatch with your wrist watch or something to that effect.
Fair enough. It's been ages since I've played Goldeneye, so I actually forgot about a lot of that stuff. Thanks for pointing that out.

The rest, though, are pure-format FPSes, which just can't stand up to the format- and genre-bending games that are in the industry these days.
Oh god, the wrist watch (shudder)

EDIT:
Sorry for the double post, I clicked without thinking
Off Topic: Your name is a lie

Vorpals

Oct 13, 2008
Half Life 2 was just an ok FPS for me. The shooting parts were not too amazing, but still good, the driving parts were dreaded like the plague, etc, although I enjoyed the fact that the shooting had more brains to it than "shooty shoot".

However, as an experience, HL2 was amazing. Defending areas, invading Nova Prospekt, abusing the Uber Gravity Gun etc. were all memorable experiences, especially Nova Prospekt.

The AI was actually pretty intelligent for being four years old, but the puzzles were just ok.
I never saw a problem with the weapons; they fired bullets effectively, and that's all I really needed.

In my opinion, when you put it all together, it's just an ok game with its great moments, and it probably would've been better played four years ago, as it's been said.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
I_LIKE_CAKE said:
I disagree.
Half-Life 2 is an amazing game and FPS, and as such has stood the test of time very well. An excellent story, awesome gameplay, and, thanks to Valve's continual updates to the Source engine, effects that are still among the best I have ever seen all add up to create a game that I enjoyed even more when I played through it last month then I did several years ago.

On a side note to all those who are bitching about the pistol: try to aim for the head, you will be amazed at how quickly things die when their brains are painting the wall.
Granted, though what I was getting at (my point may not have came across that clear) was that it is most often the case that the people who don't enjoy the game are those that are now playing it for the first time, as opposed to at the time of it's release. I think there was also a topic on here a while back from someone who had just recently played the original Half-Life for the first time. Unsurprisingly, they couldn't see what was so great about the game.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm still yet to find a FPS that can surpass Half-Life 2 in the singleplayer stakes. Half-Life 3 perhaps?