Half Life 2 - just why is this game so great?

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Codgo said:
I find is that the majority of people who ***** about Half-Life and Half-life 2 didn't play them when they originally came out in 1998 and 2004.
Actually, I played HL1 in 2001 and enjoyed the hell out of it. I played HL2 when it came out and lost interest after I made it through the antlion section.

Wicky_42 said:
... and here's someone who obviously hasn't read my post - or anyone's post arguing against his opinion for that matter. Particularly regarding the plot...
Sorry, I didn't read your post, I was just responding to the original post. Regardless, it doesn't change the fact that I had a lot more fun playing HL1 than HL2. There were some great technical achievements in HL2, I will not argue that, but none of them made the game better for me.

Regarding the plot, because I havn't played episode 1 and on, I try not to read what other people are saying about it because as it is now, I already know some characters die when I wish I didn't know that yet. When the orange box came out, I started up HL2 again, so I could work my way though it and then ep1 and 2. Once again, I got bored and stalled out half way through the game. There just isn't much substance in the game for me to grab onto. All the plot for the first 4+ hours is running and running aimlessly across the countryside. I just don't enjoy that. By that point in HL1, I was searching for a way to help out my fellow scientists and dodging bullets from the people that I was told were going to rescue me.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
Can I ask, where you playing on a PC or a 360?
On the PC I found the controls to work fine, not too bad for a shooter. I guess I wasn't expecting anything like Gran Turismo handling. For story, yes it is one of those games where you have to play the first to understand what is going on. Even then the story is a bit messy. I know what part with the glass you are talking about and I agree, the gun should have been able to do more.
Also the LOTR can be considered a sequel to The Hobbit. I thought that came before?