Half Life 2, why?

Ara69

Aug 23, 2010
So I´ll start by saying I have never played the first Half Life game.

I was bored with the games I had and noticed I could pick up this highly praised gem for just 8 euro, awsome.
You start out in a creepy city with lots of guards you for some reason have to dodge, you meet the girl from "Beyond good and Evil" and someone who really wishes he was Morgan Freeman.

And then you have to go somewhere else (for some reason), this fails because of a pet...
Then the running starts, you run, stop solve puzzle, sail, stop solve puzzle, drive, stop solve puzzle.

There is no talking, no story, it keeps swapping between dull shooting and a zombie game.
Now, I am only at the prison level thing, and am so bored I doubt I´ll be finishing this. But does it get better? Is it ever explained why Gordon is doing all this stuff?

I disliked just about everything about this game, and to be honest have a hard time seeing why anyone would enjoy it.

So the question is, did you like it? And why?

(FYI, loved portal/L4D/team fortress - not hating on valve)

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Because I did? its a little more meh by todays standards but at the time it came out it was a revolution.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Oh God. We literally had this thread once Yesterday, and once the day before.

May I suggest someone open a "I hate Half-Life so much, I feel the need to open the 5 billionth thread about it!" User group?

Xelt

May 11, 2008
Did you play Half Life 1?
If no: Did you read the story?
If no: Don't complain about not understnaidng the story of a sequal.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
God, this again?

Every damn week... at least once every damn week...

Seriously, dude, just do a quick search for "why is Half Life 2 good". These threads are a dime a dozen.

Gah... so frustrated by the fact that people keep comparing it to today's games...

SammiYin

Mar 15, 2010
You won't get far on this website by dissing the 'BEST GAME EVAHH'
Even if it is a heap of shit

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well atleast you didn't go buy it just because you hate it, like some other people.
But let me explain your problem, the game is good because of it's details which you clearly ignored and/or dismissed.
And if you take out the details Half Life 2 really must seem like a boring shooter.

I'm guessing you are into fast paced action games, HL2 isn't it.

smartengine

Mar 23, 2010
It has a story... a great one... I guess it doesn't make much sense if you haven't played the first one, but even then a lot of the story is hidden. It's not all told out loud in a cut scene. It's more subtle.

and can we please stop with all of the "half life sucks" threads

Boxinatorizore

Mar 25, 2009
No story? My my Mr.Un-Observant. valve has done something brilliant with this game. They tell you the story almost completely through your surroundings and in doing so create an incredibly immersive environment. If you want story out of it, just pay attention.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
I liked the episodes to half-life 2, which came with the orange box. But I had not played the first game either, so in half-life 2, I didn't really understand why I was doing any of it.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Ara69 said:
So I´ll start by saying I have never played the first Half Life game.

I was bored with the games I had and noticed I could pick up this highly praised gem for just 8 euro, awsome.
You start out in a creepy city with lots of guards you for some reason have to dodge, you meet the girl from "Beyond good and Evil" and someone who really wishes he was Morgan Freeman.

And then you have to go somewhere else (for some reason), this fails because of a pet...
Then the running starts, you run, stop solve puzzle, sail, stop solve puzzle, drive, stop solve puzzle.

There is no talking, no story, it keeps swapping between dull shooting and a zombie game.
Now, I am only at the prison level thing, and am so bored I doubt I´ll be finishing this. But does it get better? Is it ever explained why Gordon is doing all this stuff?

I disliked just about everything about this game, and to be honest have a hard time seeing why anyone would enjoy it.

So the question is, did you like it? And why?

(FYI, loved portal/L4D/team fortress - not hating on valve)
Totally agree. It's why people lauding the interactive cutscenes always bugged me. You're just sort of there to watch them, you can walk about while they talk and ignore you (or just look at you while talking, really creepy like). It was okay back in 2004...but the plot and stuff is just kinda meh.

razor343

Sep 29, 2010
I'll assume that if you think HL2 has no story. Then you also think CoD: Black Ops tells one of the greatest stories in any videogame?

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Wait until you get to the boat section: longest, most incredibly boring time I have ever spent with a game. I just kept telling myself that this MUST be the end, but no, it just carried on. Then you get a SECOND boat level, this time with a gun on the boat.

I forced myself through it, and was eventually awarded with a brief moment of controlling some cool sand creatures with a weird goo ball, the one fun moment I had with the game.

To be followed by the boat level all over again, except with a car.

DO NOT try to force yourself through the game because of all the hype. It DOES NOT get better.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Obvious troll is obvious.

Whilst the other thread on this just featured a guy who didn't get that his opinion won't always align with the majority one, this really is just you trying to flame-bait xD

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Eh I played HL2 several years ago and it blew my mind because at the time it was quite unlike all other shooters. Solving puzzles AND shooting AND driving AND scary zombies AND aliens AND some interesting story/dialogue IN GAME without cutscenes!? WOOOW!

Sure, it's nothing too spectacular anymore but when most people would have played it, it was easily the best thing out there.