Half-Life 3 in Development, Left 4 Dead 3 "Looks Great," Says CS Dev

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
Of course they're bloody making it, that was never up for debate, the only question is when exactly we're going to be playing it. Frankly I never understood why the internet is so obsessed with the damn thing, it'll come out eventually, Valve will not forget about their most popular franchise.
And did any of you really think that L4D3 wasn't an inevitability with the numbers the first two games moved? I'd be way more shocked if I found out they WEREN'T making another one.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Sanunes said:
My problem with Valve and Half-Life right now is I am not really sure how interested in it I am anymore. I will read the articles about it, I did Half-Life 2 and the two episodes which I bought on release and I don't see that happening with Half-Life 3.
People say things like this until the first real info on HL3 comes out, then they'll all be chomping at the bit.

Deathfish15 said:
Concept art? Bloody fudging concept art?! It's been a very long time of well over 6 years since The Orange Box released with the last Episode of the series. What is taking them so long? Did they covert all their their developers into money counters after Steam became the go-to for digital distribution.
He hasn't worked there since 2009 or so, so him only seeing concept art two years after the Orange Box isn't terribly surprising.

Honestly, the way I see it, there's a reason they abandoned the plan for doing Episode 3: they didn't want to just make another HL2 expansion. Valve isn't the sort of company that just likes to pump out rehashes of the exact same formula over and over. They work on projects that interest them, and I would not be surprised if they ditched Episode 3 specifically so that they could do a proper sequel once they had their ideas for one ironed out.

As for what specifically takes so long, I'd say doing a proper follow up to one of the most popular and influential FPS series isn't something you rush. Plus releasing a game a year for almost a decade is going to put a lot on your plate. Honestly, people who act like Valve's been sitting on their butts doing nothing this whole time drive me crazy because they have a rather revisionist view of the company's release history.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Now Left4Dead 3 would get me interested, but honestly any news about Half-Life 3 is going to be either false or just forgotten.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
maybe valve is going the duke nukem way and will release the game after 14 years. lets hope this will not be the case.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Vigormortis said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
I don't care about the Left 4 Dead series to be honest. The gameplay is okay, but I got bored quick. And the story is very generic and lack-luster. Which is a pity. We all know that Valve has the ability to tell great stories (or should I say show?), so the fact that it got placed on the very back burner for the Left 4 Dead series is baffling to me.
There's actually a surprising amount of narrative strewn throughout the official campaigns. Much of it built into the maps and environments, of course, but there's still a lot of little details and story arcs panning out all through the game.

But...you're right. It's no where near as prevalent or extensive as the narratives for their other story-driven series.

Perhaps that's what their plan for Left 4 Dead 3 is? Go full tilt on the story and narrative structure.

One can only hope.
Yeah, I've seen the story bits that are there, like the dead soldier at the end of an off ramp with a ton of dead zombies on the off ramp. And I liked how Left 4 Dead 2 actually had the campaign maps string together, which was a huge improvement. It's just, as you said, compared to the Portal series and the Half-Life series, Left 4 Dead is very boring and bare. Now if they change that with 3, perhaps my interest will be renewed. I will admit that at the end of 2 and The Sacrifice DLC, it looked like they were starting to take a deeper interest with the story.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Holy shit guys! Someone on the planet Earth made concept art for Half-Life 3! Therefore it will be released soon!

Note: Valve have no understanding of the concept of time and thus 'soon' could be anytime between later today and never.

So really, what this is saying is: the potential existence of Half-Life 3 has been pondered by a human. Wonderful.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Wow did he also see the ark of the covenant? and maybe a leprechaun?

Piss off Gooseman no one likes vague twitter updates about companies you don't even work for.

Lets all make an agreement not to talk about 3rd instalment Valve game unless its officially announced by Valve or available at the Steam Store.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Steam is invaluable to the PC gaming community and their existing games are good an' all, but does it matter now? They've orphaned their most popular series, and they've been pecking at it only to shut the internet up. (which has backfired spectarularly)

Besides, concept art = concepts. Concepts =/= development. Obviously, they're making it. But for all we know, this concept art (as pretty as it is. And it's very pretty) could just be a sketch because the artist forgot how to work in the style (it has been, like, 7, almost 8 years since episode 2) and it could have no relation to the game, at least in a direct manner.

It won't live up to expectations, and they may aswell invest the budget into Steam/starving refugee children in eastern Europe.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
How does he reckon its "common knowledge" that Valve is working on HL3 when pretty much the entire internet is desperate for any info on it at all... there has been NO confirmation at all about it.

Weird! I think he just wants attention. o_O

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
"so somebody has seen something" is now News?

Look, dear Escapist, I know you need the clicks but please stop 'reporting' about Half Life 3 and Fallout 4 until the companies have a release date.
You only lose credibility.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
We all need to move on. It's very clear that Valve has no interest in continuing the half life series.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Vivi22 said:
Deathfish15 said:
Concept art? Bloody fudging concept art?! It's been a very long time of well over 6 years since The Orange Box released with the last Episode of the series. What is taking them so long? Did they covert all their their developers into money counters after Steam became the go-to for digital distribution.
He hasn't worked there since 2009 or so, so him only seeing concept art two years after the Orange Box isn't terribly surprising.

Honestly, the way I see it, there's a reason they abandoned the plan for doing Episode 3: they didn't want to just make another HL2 expansion. Valve isn't the sort of company that just likes to pump out rehashes of the exact same formula over and over. They work on projects that interest them, and I would not be surprised if they ditched Episode 3 specifically so that they could do a proper sequel once they had their ideas for one ironed out.

As for what specifically takes so long, I'd say doing a proper follow up to one of the most popular and influential FPS series isn't something you rush. Plus releasing a game a year for almost a decade is going to put a lot on your plate. Honestly, people who act like Valve's been sitting on their butts doing nothing this whole time drive me crazy because they have a rather revisionist view of the company's release history.
They hired new people to do DoTA 2, so it's not the same people that did Half-Life 2 (just the same as the EA people behind FIFA didn't do Titanfall). Maybe the same people were doing Left4Dead, because the same core of being a FPS game.

Also, it's not about pumping out game after game and just making a sequel. Half-Life 2 is a game unlike any other; no slapped on multiplayer being 1/2 the game. HL2 is a cinematic masterpiece that is an interactive story on a grand scale. I dare say it's far better than a Peter Jackson film. And it's a cinematic experience that was left on a huge cliffhanger at the end of Episode 2 that needs to find closure. That is why players want it so badly....the story closure.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Deathfish15 said:
They hired new people to do DoTA 2, so it's not the same people that did Half-Life 2
They hired two people for the project. IceFrog and Guinsoo. That's all.

Yet, the core Dota 2 team is rather large, and much of it is comprised of designers, coders, artists, etc, that had worked on Valve's other titles - from Half-Life to Portal to Team Fortress. So there's every chance a sizable chunk of the original Half-Life 2 team is currently working on Dota 2 or other Valve products.

(just the same as the EA people behind FIFA didn't do Titanfall).
Well, not really. FIFA and Titanfall were made by entirely separate development studios - the latter of which is entirely owned and was conceived of by Respawn, not EA. The games that come out of Valve are, for the most part, made in-house by Valve employees.

Maybe the same people were doing Left4Dead, because the same core of being a FPS game.
Given they're work structure, that's entirely possible. But something tells me what's more likely is that the group from Turtle Rock; of whom were hired by Valve some years ago; are likely the ones that comprise much of the Left 4 Dead 3 team.

I'd even go so far as to assume that a good part of the L4D3 team includes members from the Source 2 team, given those "leaked" Source 2 sample pics.

Regardless of all that, it is clear that both games are, and have been for some time, in active development. While it's nice to hear it from someone who was actually involved with the company, his "revelations" aren't really new.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Not a big fun of Half-Life like I am for Persona games [if a second official Persona 5 trailer pop up, I will *** buckets all over my room and my parents will screaming in horror], but yeah, good to know we will have after some years a third Half-Life.

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
Vigormortis said:
But something tells me what's more likely is that the group from Turtle Rock; of whom were hired by Valve some years ago; are likely the ones that comprise much of the Left 4 Dead 3 team.
Far as I heard most of then left Valve, re-formed Turtle Rock and are working on Evolve now.

CBanana

Aug 10, 2010
It's too late Valve. Yahtzee already spoiled the ending [http://youtu.be/Dq20fqqZTqw?t=51m49s]. Everyone can go home now as there's no reason to play the game after all.